D70 wireless with non-commander flash units

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D70 wireless with non-commander flash units

Postby ElRonno on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:17 am

Apart from my monoblocks I would like to use a two flash mobile setup. Preferably wireless (or at least for the camera, if there would be a way to connect the flashes I could live with that). But I can’t seem to set it up.

These are the available ingredients:
D70
SB-600
SB-28 (shoe is broken, X-contact plug and TTL-contact plug on the side are fine)
SB-28
Wireless flash trigger (X contact shoe and X-contact plug)
SC-17 cord

I’ve got a flashmeter and don’t need TTL.

Option 1
I connect the SB-28 to the trigger and use the D70 and SB-600 in commander mode.
Problem: the communication preflashes of the commander mode trigger the SB-28 to soon.

Option 2
I connect the SB-28 to the trigger and set the D70 flash to manual
Problem: no way to fire the SB-600.

Option 3
I use the D70 and SB-600 in commander mode.
Problem: no way to fire the SB-28. I can’t connect the SB-28 with a cable to the SB-600.

So, would there be any kind of combination that would work?

If I would have to buy anything, then what would be the cheapest solution? A second trigger for the SB-600 and set the D70 flash to manual? That’s the idea of my monoblocks, they have triggers built in so I just use D70 manual flash at a low setting (or, with portraits, the sb-600 mounted on the camera and pointing to the ceiling).
ElRonno

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:14 am

You can disable the preflash on the D70.

That means that any pre-D70 option will also work, and I'd probably be looking at a light-sensing trigger for each of the remote flashes, with the ibuilt in flash, turned down to minimum output, used as the trigger.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon