Extended Warranty in Bargins

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Extended Warranty in Bargins

Postby CraigVTR on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Hi Guys

Just reading about the extended warranties for D70 in Bargins, can't put a reply there as being a newbie to the forum I do not have access. My question is, do people have many problems with the D70 or D70s? Also what is the Bglod problem?

I bought my camera a few months ago to replace my old film camera, Richo xr2s, which was over 20 years old before it died. Yes, it was obsolete 15 years ago but it worked without any problems apart from a clean when it needed it.

After spending over 2K, if I have to replace the Nikon in 4 or 5 years because of 'mechanical failures' I will probably have to get a divorce before I can spend more money.

This is a 'what if' type question. What sort of life could be expected out of the D70s.

Thanks

Craig
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby gecko on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:53 am

Hello Craig

I am far from being the most qualified to answer your questions - but I'll throw some ideas your way anyway :lol: :lol:

My question is, do people have many problems with the D70 or D70s?

Yes. It is a complicated device that is at the mercy of its user. You might find this useful....

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=13373&highlight=d70+doctor

Also what is the Bglod problem?

Bglod = blinking green light of death.
A problem with early batch of D70's (2004 - early 2005 models?) where the camera won't do anything and the green CF card light flashes.
I think Maxwells is fixing this for free. Check out this link:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=8349&highlight=bglod

After spending over 2K, if I have to replace the Nikon in 4 or 5 years because of 'mechanical failures' I will probably have to get a divorce before I can spend more money.

This is a 'what if' type question. What sort of life could be expected out of the D70s.

Nikon make good gear, but like everything, it will wear out.
The feeling I get from reading the forum is that that D70 is good for 20k + shutter cycles. Some on the forum have many more than this. It would be reasonable to assume that a camera that has done 30-40k shutter cycles is getting on a bit. I think photographers tend to be less conservative when shooting digital than film. Film cameras used by amateurs don't typically get the really high shutter counts because of the cost of film (40000/36*$10 = $11000 who can afford this?) I remember a discussion on this topic - have a search for it.

There is a nifty program that can tell you the shutter count on your camera. Do a search for it on the forum. I have not used it as I use sequential file numbering and so the file number is close to the shutter cycle number (only rough I know).

Hope this helps

Cheers
Gecko
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Postby CraigVTR on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks for the tips Gecko. Book work and sleep are the jobs i have to get done today, so i will followup on the links and searches over the next couple of days.

You are right about the desire to shoot as many frames as possible when moving to digital. I have been shooting and if it looks crap deleting. In fact i set the shutter to continuious when i first got the camera and kept the finger down to see how it caught the action.

Thanks again :D :D

Craig
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby gecko on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Happy to help

Gecko
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:57 pm

gecko wrote:Hello Craig

I am far from being the most qualified to answer your questions - but I'll throw some ideas your way anyway :lol: :lol:

My question is, do people have many problems with the D70 or D70s?

Yes. It is a complicated device that is at the mercy of its user. You might find this useful....

My answer would be no, but I would agree that the camera, like any device, is at the mercy of its users.

I have Nikons that are 35 years old and still work perfectly; I see no reason that will prevent a well cared for D70 from enjoying a long and happy life.

That's not to say that it won't be obsolete before you even buy the thing: that's the nature of the modern electronic device.

It's obsolete, but it's the photographer that makes the photos. Deal with it. :)

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=13373&highlight=d70+doctor

Also what is the Bglod problem?

Bglod = blinking green light of death.
A problem with early batch of D70's (2004 - early 2005 models?)

Basically just the first few batches. March - May 2004, really.

The issues are being addressed by Maxwells in a friendly, prompt and professional manner, so it's an inconvenience more than anything else.

Nikon make good gear, but like everything, it will wear out.
The feeling I get from reading the forum is that that D70 is good for 20k + shutter cycles.

I would be expecting a shutter life of >50K cycles.

Even prosumer cameras get a harder life than film cameras targeted to the same market, because there's no cost in making an exposure.

Nikon make gear with high duty life cycles; I don't see an issue here.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon