dpreview of d200 is up...

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

dpreview of d200 is up...

Postby xerubus on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:25 am

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/

here's the 'conclusion':

dpreview.com wrote:When it was announced in November last year the D200 caused quite stir (and not just in the Nikon camp). It was clear from the start that about the only thing this camera shared with its official predecessor (the D100) was the Nikon badge and it's '00 name. From a design, build, features and performance point of view this camera really creates its own niche, it would be a pity to label it as 'semi-pro' because in use you soon realize that it's a professional camera. Which brings us to the competition, from a build/features point of view it's clearly ahead of the Canon EOS 20D/30D and in my opinion a step above the EOS 5D, a baby D2X.

Next we'll talk megapixels, or I guess the marketeers would like that, but to be frank there's really little to gain or lose in two megapixels either way, hence in a neutral comparison (as we did here, shooting RAW and using the same converter) you really can't see any significant advantage or disadvantage going either way (8 to 10 or 10 to 12). You really wouldn't be able to see a difference in print even at very large sizes.

What can make a difference however is how what's captured is developed. Which brings us to the D200's default sharpening (for JPEGs), there's a difference between avoiding sharpening artifacts and not resolving detail captured by the sensor because of weak processing / sharpening. A first time user of the D200 may well feel it is 'soft' simply because of this decision made to have low default sharpening. Turn the sharpening up or better still shoot RAW and introduce a subtle unsharp mask into your workflow and D200 images are as sharp and crisp as you could expect.

Issues, well yes, unfortunately the D200 has one or two. Firstly noise, it's easy to argue that a camera isn't designed to have a particular high sensitivity performance but unfortunately there's a benchmark out there and people now have an expectation of performance with a digital SLR at this level. That's not to say the D200 is particularly bad, but that the competition is particularly good. Certainly if you do a lot of shooting at ISO 1600 or higher you should spend a some time studying our noise tests and high ISO gallery samples.

The second issue is isolated but has caused some to question Nikon and that's the vertical banding problems experience by some owners. Personally I was surprised to see such a significant new product affected by something which appears to be relatively easy to reproduce (QC?), and I was also surprised by the relatively slow response from Nikon to admit it and offer a fix. You really wonder what the point of field testing beta product is if not to find problems such as this. Sure it may not have affect many cameras but it has created a 'bad vibe' which no camera needs.

So with the negative out of the way I can now say that I really enjoyed the D200. It's one of those cameras which you look forward to picking up, I really got on with its design and ergonomics, it's small enough not to break your back yet sturdy enough to feel absolutely purposeful, solid and reliable. It fills the photographer with an air of confidence that each time they need it the camera is going to perform. It also has an air of luxury, quality and thoughtful design which other cameras sometimes miss, manufacturers mustn't forget that many professional photographers have to 'live' with their camera day in day out, thinking hard about how it should feel and operate can really make a big difference. Nikon know about good design and it shows, the D200 is a great camera to get along with.
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:30 am

Mark,
ajo43 beats you on this.
He posted this last night.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby xerubus on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:32 am

oops... got to hate people that duplicate threads :)

thanks birddog...
xerubus

Postby Greg B on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:05 am

Thanks Mark. I have locked Jonesy's thread and directed people here - better section (Nikon)

I do love the dpreview reviews, the structure and information is excellent.

Wouldn't mind a d200 either :wink:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby elffinarts on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:39 pm

One of the shooters here at the Courier-Mail is using it and swears it to be a good amount easier to use than the D2X day to day and hasn't found fault with it at all.

Can someone tell me more on their fix for the vertical banding? Is it anything like the banding the D70 can produce in low light?
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Matt. K on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:42 pm

I don't want to start any rumours but I've heard a whisper about the new D300. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Greg B on Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Matt. K wrote:I don't want to start any rumours

Oh, I think you do!

but I've heard a whisper about the new D300. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D :D :D

Shit stirrer. The D300 is a Canon.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Onyx on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:41 pm

So what's changed with the release of this review?! I don't believe there were any grey areas regarding this camera - in terms of people's perceptions and like/dislikes of it. Naturograf, Imaging Resources, Digital Camera Reviews Canada and all the other places have published about equivalent in quality reviews pre-dating DPReview's review, it seems a portion are still hesitant over the banding issue, and perhaps forever will be - and again it's reinforced the value/quality standpoint of this camera in the marketplace. And supplies are still short...
Onyx

Postby xerubus on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:06 am

also some info about sigma lens issues... not sure if this has been posted before, couldn't find it when i searched.

dpreview wrote:Following is a list of HSM equipped lenses which would require an update for the D200 camera:
Fixed Focal Length Lenses
14mm F2.8 EX ASPHERICAL HSM
30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
APO MACRO 180mm F3.5 EX HSM / APO MACRO 180mm F3.5 EX DG HSM
APO 300mm F2.8 EX HSM / APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
APO 500mm F4.5 EX HSM / APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM
APO 800mm F5.6 EX HSM / APO 800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM
APO 800mm F5.6 EX HSM / APO 800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM

Zoom Lenses
10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM
17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM
APO 50-500mm F 4-6.3 EX HSM / APO 50-500mm F 4-6.3 EX DG HSM
APO 70-200mm F 2.8 EX HSM / APO 70-200mm F 2.8 EX DG HSM
APO 100-300mm F4 EX HSM / APO 100-300mm F 4 EX DG HSM
APO 120-300mm F 2.8 EX HSM / APO 120-300mm F 2.8 EX DG HSM
APO 300-800mm F 5.6 EX HSM / APO 300-800mm F 5.6 EX DG HSM

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0512/05122 ... smd200.asp

anyone with d200's using the 70-200 out there? any feedback on this issue?

cheers
xerubus

Postby MCWB on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:32 am

Mark it's been posted before; the problem is only when using the AF-on button. Half-shutter-press AF works fine.
MCWB

Postby xerubus on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 am

MCWB wrote:Mark it's been posted before; the problem is only when using the AF-on button. Half-shutter-press AF works fine.

thanks mate...

cheers
xerubus

Return to Nikon