Brand/Noname batteries

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Brand/Noname batteries

Postby ggena on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Has anybody good/bad experience with noname batteries for Nikon camera?

Like this one or similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... Track=true
ggena

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:57 pm

I have 2 Nikon batteries and 1 No name battery. I use it less then the other two, but it makes a good backup if I have a very long shot or no access to a charger. Currently it's actually lent to another forum member that had more need of it then I do.

There are plenty of rumours about them blowing up, but then there are simlar rumours about the Nikon branded ones as well.
Alpha_7

Postby Raskill on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:36 pm

I have 5 batteries, 2 genuine, 3 non genuine (stirling-tek brand). I don't have a problem with them at all. I notice no difference between them and the genuine ones.

There are the rumours (probably started by nikon) that non genuine ones aren't as good, but lets face it, nikon just recalled about twenty billion of theirs!

Buy the 'no names', you won't look back.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby MattC on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:03 pm

The no-names are probably identical (maybe even from the same factory) to the Nikon branded batteries but that could be cause for concern in the light of the recent Nikon recall.

The $1400 question is: Who is going to warrant your camera if (and it is a big if) the no-name eats it? Nikon won't.

HST, the risk is miniscule, but present with any Li-Ion battery.

Personally, I just go with the OEM item. That is my choice.

Cheers
MattC

Postby Matt. K on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:18 pm

I can detect no difference between the performance of brands. By the way, legally, I don't think using non OEM batteries will invalidate your warrenty...regardless of any claim by Nikon.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Technik on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Speaking of battery, I'm in the market for one as I need another spare battery for back-up. It happens on two occasions that my battery ran out and I was unable to take any pictures. :(

I really need to buy one from Birddog!!
D70s/D200; Tokina 16-50mm 2.8; 18-70DX ; 50mm 1.8 ; 80-200mm 2.8D ; SB600 + Stofen Omini Bouncer
Technik

Postby MattC on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:33 pm

Matt. K wrote: By the way, legally, I don't think using non OEM batteries will invalidate your warrenty.

I think that you are right about non OEM batteries not invalidating the warranty provided that the non OEM is not the cause of the failure.

Cheers
MattC

Postby robboh on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:31 pm

Id probably use no-name batteries if there was an option. Most of that sort of thing comes from the same manufacturer anyways, just with differing labels :wink:

However, I have just paid about $30 more for a 'real' Nikon EL-EN3e over a generic battery as I wanted one that will definitely work in a D200 (Im planning ahead). As far as Im aware, none of the 3rd parties are yet supplying D200 compatible EL-EN3's that have the 3rd contact.
Smile; it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
robboh

Return to Nikon