AF-C on the D200 v D2X

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

AF-C on the D200 v D2X

Postby anubis on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:49 pm

Guys is there any one who has tracked a fast moving subject e.g. a small bird in AF-C mode on both the D2X and D200?

And if so is there any noticable difference in the speed it acquires focus while the subject is moving i.e. is one "faster" than the other?

Thanks guys.
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby Killakoala on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:39 pm

I comes down to if you can keep the subject in your viewfinder or not. :) Lens choice will contribute greatly.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby wendellt on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:32 pm

got a lot of eperience on this

on the D2X the AF-C is determined by several things
1. closest subject priority
2. group dynamic subject priority
3. something else
dependign on how these settings are set in the menu for AFC mode affects the AF-C performance

but in all my experience shooting runway with the fast 70-200VR with vR off
AF-C mode can't continuosly track focus a model walking down a catwalk, now that ain't fast compared to a speeding bird or car

better luck pressing down on the shutter for focus incrementally then taking the shot in single servo mode

but don't take my word i am sure someone else will have a different opinion

just bear in mind several prominent fashion photographers agree with me
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:01 am

wendellt wrote:got a lot of eperience on this

ROTFLMAO. I think this one wins the Acedemy Award for funniest forum statement of the year!

Models on the catwalk aren't exactly "fast moving subjects", Wendell.

Small birds flying are a tad quicker.

So too are F1 racecars. The only time I've seen models keeping up with F1 racecars is when they've been stationary on the starting grid.

Steve has the point nailed by stating that you need to be able to keep the subject in your viewfinder. If you cannot achieve that, the whole question becomes moot.

If you can, then if you have a focus lock already, you'll keep it. if you haven't yet acheived that, then that becomes the salient point, but my limited experience with the D200 thus far suggests that it will be very bloody good.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby wendellt on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:21 am

i am pretty funny gary, probably did not understand the context of the question before i replied
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby beetleboy on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:25 am

I've come across a lot of people that say they can't get AF-C to work (on Canon and Nikon systems) and I just don't get it. Point the little focus point at your subject, half depress the button and pan with it - you HAVE to keep the subject under the focus point otherwise the camera will go "what the? what you want? i don't see nuffin, dumbass!!!" Generally with a bit of a Japanese accent depending on the ilk of your camera!!

I've tracked three viticulturalists walking thru a vineyard this way, as well as numerous birds like Pintailed Whydah's that flutter around like bees - works every time!

Practice. Practice. Practice. And then some.

Liam =] PS - if the subject is coming towards you, the camera does take about 1/4 of a second longer to update it's focus (depends on lens also) so give it a chance to catch up
beetleboy

Postby Glen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 am

gstark wrote:[
Models on the catwalk aren't exactly "fast moving subjects", Wendell.

Gary, that is harsh, you have obviously never seen them all chase a stick of celery after the show is over :wink:
Glen

Return to Nikon