Nikon next lineup (short interview with Nikon Exec.)

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon next lineup (short interview with Nikon Exec.)

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:59 am

Interesting comment from Nikon exec on what is coming next in the Nikon DSLR camera lineup at:

http://www.dslrphoto.com/2006/03/02/int ... ture-plan/
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Oneputt on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:03 am

Personally I do not see what the fuss about full frame sensors is. :?
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby moggy on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:44 am

Very interesting Birdy, If I was developing a FF camera I wouldn't admit it either. I really can't see Nikon standing by while Canon produce something they don't. It's not what models you sell but how much of the market you corner that's important...the bigger your market share the smaller your rivals have. :wink:

8) Bob.

moggy

Postby wendellt on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:59 am

i think it's time to consider a canon as a second body
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 am

wendellt wrote:i think it's time to consider a canon as a second body

Hehehehe! you felt in love with the Canon 1DS MKII which you have seen at last mini meet.

Get it!!! good and nice toy with new set of L lenses.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby wendellt on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:06 am

Birddog114 wrote:

Hehehehe! you felt in love with the Canon 1DS MKII which you have seen at last mini meet.

I had my eye on the 1DS before Leigh got hold of one
anyway i intend to use a canon nikon mount so i can use the nikon lenses ont he canon, got have the best of both worlds, question do i compromise the qulity of the image produced by using a nikon canon lens adapter
wendellt

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:08 am

Wit hthe way you handle your equipment Wendell, I doubt the equipment would survive long, in complete honesty.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Glen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:09 am

Nnnnsic wrote:Wit hthe way you handle your equipment Wendell, I doubt the equipment would survive long, in complete honesty.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wendell, I think with the adapter you lose AF
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:10 am

Pls. note: Nikon lens on Canon mount required an adapter and only manual. Quality of Nikon on Canon, not sure it will perform as the best, but why don't you get the 1Ds MkII and venturing into this new path, let everyone knows what pros & cons.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:11 am

Nnnnsic wrote:Wit hthe way you handle your equipment Wendell, I doubt the equipment would survive long, in complete honesty.

Harsh, but fair.

:D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:12 am

He trusts Canon will survive on his torture and stress tests than Nikon as he mentioned somewhere Nikon is a lemon. :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 am

What does it mean to be thinking "to proceed with the flexibility of choice"?
As if you're going to proceed in business and limit your choices? What a strange answer. I guess it's typical when you aren't the market leader.

Nikon really does say very little in these little interviews that they grant.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:24 am

Birddog114 wrote:

He trusts Canon will survive on his torture and stress tests than Nikon as he mentioned somewhere Nikon is a lemon. :lol: :lol:

Seeing as I've been playing with this equipment for a few weeks now, I'm not sure it would survive under the gamut of equipment breakages that seem to occur around Wendell, honestly.

And frankly, I'm not too sure if Wendell would want to spend $12,000 on a body he has no lenses for.

Especially when it'll be superceded very soon by a higher range mp sensor.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:38 am

Nnnnsic wrote:
And frankly, I'm not too sure if Wendell would want to spend $12,000 on a body he has no lenses for.

Surely, he would, coz he's sponsored by one of the top female model which he shot her recently :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby wendellt on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:41 am

o.k since the lenses will be reduced to manual mode forget abot it
if i do go canon i will have to invest in a lens system as well

and Leigh I have improved, there was a time i broke things intentionally but now things break around me without my intervention

my attraction to full frame is the fact that the image is bigger better for commercial purposes
low light photography at High ISO on a canon is much smoother and acceptable than on nikon regardless if the image is inherrantly softer
in print large a noisy image shows even though i like noise for my arty images not for commercial stuff
wendellt

Postby Greg B on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:49 am

I think that all the interview really reveals is that Nikon executives have been trained in the art of avoiding a straight answer. Which is fair enough where commercial secrets are involved.

Nevertheless, the "tough" questions would have been a lot more useful if they were answered, but there you go.

Of course, there is also a view that the area which cannot be covered with the DX can be covered with a full frame sensor. We do not deny this view, but we’re not certain if it is actually true that the area that cannot be covered by the DX can truely be satisfied by a full frame sensor.

And I think we may have found the bloke who writes the instruction manuals too!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:35 pm

wendellt wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:

I had my eye on the 1DS before Leigh got hold of one
anyway i intend to use a canon nikon mount so i can use the nikon lenses ont he canon, got have the best of both worlds,

with no AFand no metering.

The best what of what worlds ??? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:37 pm

Birddog114 wrote:

Hardly likely.

The reality is that, in my experience, the build quality of Canons isn't up to that of Nikon.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Just read this nikon quote that Greg pointed out... haven't the time yet to read the whole item, but if this is indicative then wow !!!

mmm... just read this paragraph again and all I can say is WHAT THE ????

Greg B wrote:I think that all the interview really reveals is that Nikon executives have been trained in the art of avoiding a straight answer. Which is fair enough where commercial secrets are involved.

Nevertheless, the "tough" questions would have been a lot more useful if they were answered, but there you go.

Of course, there is also a view that the area which cannot be covered with the DX can be covered with a full frame sensor. We do not deny this view, but we’re not certain if it is actually true that the area that cannot be covered by the DX can truely be satisfied by a full frame sensor.

And I think we may have found the bloke who writes the instruction manuals too!
Mj

Postby kipper on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:31 pm

I think the photograph of this wanker says it all. Look what the guy is holding for starters. Does he know what a real camera looks like?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby LostDingo on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:04 pm

wendellt wrote:my attraction to full frame is the fact that the image is bigger better for commercial purposes
low light photography at High ISO on a canon is much smoother and acceptable than on nikon regardless if the image is inherrantly softer
in print large a noisy image shows even though i like noise for my arty images not for commercial stuff

Wendell, you may want to review the resolution that a D2x has as opposed to the Canon http://www.naturfotograf.com/D2X_rev06.html#top_page

You may be suprised that as opposed to the larger sensor on the Canon does not always translate to a true higher resolution photo and you can blow the D2x images to phenominal sizes without image degardation.
LostDingo

Postby paulvdb1 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 pm

I'm a bit surprised that none of you guys made a comment about his "entry level camera" answer. That suggests to me that Nikon may be looking at a lower-cost DSLR below the D50 - maybe they should call it the 30D :D
Regards, Paul Vandenberg

D7000 (D70S retired) - 18-70mm, 50mm F1.8, 35mm F2, Sigma 70-300mm
paulvdb1

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:14 pm

paulvdb1 wrote:I'm a bit surprised that none of you guys made a comment about his "entry level camera" answer. That suggests to me that Nikon may be looking at a lower-cost DSLR below the D50 - maybe they should call it the 30D :D

For $500.00 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Grev on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:33 am

wendellt wrote:low light photography at High ISO on a canon is much smoother and acceptable than on nikon regardless if the image is inherrantly softer

That is probably the only thing and a decisive thing that leads photographers converting to Canon...
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby elffinarts on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:53 pm

having been watching the change for most of the NewsLTD shooters from Nikon to Canon over the last few years, I'm wondering if durability had something to do with it. A good amount less gear seems to be getting sent back to Maxwell these days for either replacement of repair.

And... the low noise high ISO low light abilities of the 1DS Mk2 blew me away. I'm incredibly jealous of our magaine shooters who use this camera on a day to day basis.
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Return to Nikon