D2H repair

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D2H repair

Postby glennles on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:06 am

Hi All,

I've stuck my foot in it and bought a D2H off ebay for $450 thinking I've got a bargain and while reading the description discovered that it has a broken meter. Searching the net it seems that this was a pretty common issue but I'm worried about the cost of such a repair. Nikon service were very prompt getting back to me but were unable to give me a ballpark figure.

I am going to give Poroday a call today to see if they can help but I was wondering if anyone has had this issue fixed before and have an idea of what sort of cost I'm looking at.

I've also contacted the seller to negotiate me not buying the camera as I was unaware of the meter issue. PS. If anyone has some waterfront land in Broken Hill I'll gladly take a look.

Cheers,

Glenn
glennles

Re: D2H repair

Postby Yi-P on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:55 pm

My D2H had similar issue plus a shutter malfunction. Fix was $480 including replacement of shutter mechanism, metering circuit and entire body's rubber (which was falling off). This was done at paroday and excellent service, all done within 3 days.
Yi-P

Postby glennles on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks for that Yi-P. I was thinking it was going to be up around that price. I've tried calling Poraday but no answer.
glennles

Postby Yi-P on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:14 pm

glennles wrote:Thanks for that Yi-P. I was thinking it was going to be up around that price. I've tried calling Poraday but no answer.

They seemed to have disappeared from Nikon Aus official support list. Not sure if they are still in business.
Yi-P

Postby glennles on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:46 pm

I noticed that they had been removed.

Nikon service advised that they can't give me a ballpark figure but will give me a quote if I send the camera to them. If I don't go ahead with the repair it's $44 dollars plus return postage.

The thing is, if the repair is ~$400 then I wonder if a D2H is worth that. To me the money would be better saved up for a D300.

Oh well, that's what you get for not reading.

Cheers for the help.
glennles

Postby glennles on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Just updating that the seller and I have worked this out and I'm no longer purchasing the camera.
glennles

Postby Raskill on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Isn't the meter an issue that Nikon will fix as they have previously recognised it as a problem under warranty (and out of warranty)?
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Killakoala on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Yes, the meter issue is a known problem that Nikon will repair for free.

Mine was fixed for free within 3 days and that was when they were Maxwells.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Return to Nikon