Something to think about

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Something to think about

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 pm

Or not.

We know that Nikon has a large manufacturing plant in Thailand, and that most of its bodies now come from that plant.

There's a story in today's SMH on the new Holden small car that's going to be built in Adelaide from 2010.

It includes this paragraph, which I found rather interesting ...

The introduction of a free-trade agreement with Thailand in 2005 has meant a flood of Japanese-designed, Thai-built cars that have made huge dents in the sales of locally-built cars. This year, Thai-built cars have almost outsold locally-built cars for the first time in history

The Honda Jazz is one car that would come under this agreement. While cameras are not subject to duty or tariffs, does this perhaps suggest that items coming to Oz from Thailand should remain less expensive?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Something to think about

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:40 pm

From the same story comes this very poor use of metaphor ...

Both General Motors and Ford have hinted that they may suspend development of rear-wheel-drive large vehicles, which could potentially cripple their Australian operations.

I can just see them now ... The next Ford Falcon, complete with crutches. And announcing the brand new Commodore, with built-in wheelchair. They get to compete at the next para-olympics too.

The whole concept of disabled parking will be rediefined.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby odysseus on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:13 pm

gstark wrote:While cameras are not subject to duty or tariffs, does this perhaps suggest that items coming to Oz from Thailand should remain less expensive?

[loads B.Ec. into RAM .. ]

If it is the case that (1) there are no tariffs on cameras and (2) we have a FTA with Thailand, then Thai-manufactured items should remain less expensive, with the following caveats:

- it depends on the fine print of the FTA re total local content (e.g. what if lens is manufactured in Japan?)
- it depends on Nikon's transfer pricing policies, i.e. whether they want to book the profit in Aust. or Thailand
- more than that, it depends on exchange rate movements, and whether sales of said cameras are denominated in baht or yen.

I will also note that Sony is trying to piss in Canon and Nikon's Weeties with the well-reviewd Alpha A200 (I came close to buying one), and this will be a big influence if they take much market share off them.
Nikon D40x and kit 18-55mm .. now in use. With a freakin' charger. And a spare freakin' battery.

Are you laughin' at me? Do you find me amusing??
odysseus

Postby Grev on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:20 pm

I thought Nikon Australia buys stock from Hong Kong and not Thailand?
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby photohiker on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:57 pm

...use 20 per cent less fuel than Holden's current V6-powered Commodore. The new small car could also eventually have a hybrid engine.

Wow. All of 20%. That's a lot. :roll: And 2010. Should just about get on the market at the same time that Nissan/Renault releases their all electric cars here.

The Holden announcement means that each of Australia's three car makers - Toyota, Holden and Ford - will be building a four-cylinder car by 2011. Each will also have either a diesel or hybrid engine.

So, 3 different cars and what? up to 6 different power plants? All aimed at the local market which is already well served by every manufacturers' small cars many of which are produced in volumes exceeding the entire Australian car market, and also many of which sport fuel economy much better than Commodore minus 20%

Economies of scale. You're doing it wrong...

Nikon seems to be doing a very good job in Thailand. Maybe the government should give Kodak a couple of hundred million to compete like they did last time...

Cynic I am... :)

Michael
photohiker

Postby gstark on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:56 am

Grev wrote:I thought Nikon Australia buys stock from Hong Kong and not Thailand?

Singapore, I believe, but most of their cameras are manufactured in Thailand.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Chaase on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:46 am

gstark wrote:The whole concept of disabled parking will be rediefined.

It already has and is due out early next year AS2890.1, Off-street parking for people with disabilities BTW Disabled means the carpark is broke, it is an accessible carpark :D
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby Grev on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:08 pm

gstark wrote:
Grev wrote:I thought Nikon Australia buys stock from Hong Kong and not Thailand?

Singapore, I believe, but most of their cameras are manufactured in Thailand.

Then I guess the export to other Asian countries would not really give a drop on the price because I thought each Nikon headquarters in their respective countries are independently owned and run?
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Return to Nikon