AF not working

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

AF not working

Postby Geoff M on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi All

Well the New Year did not start out too good! The AF on my Nikkor 18-200VR has ceased to function just two months out of warranty. There were not any preliminary signs of a problem or intermittent functioning, was working fine and then it was not.

I have removed the lens, and refitted, switched AF buttons to on/off and cleaned the contacts on both the lens and body (D70s), and still no AF (VR works OK), other lenses AF OK.

I guess its off to the repairers, but who should I send it to for the best service and value?
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Re: AF not working

Postby ATJ on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Have you tried it on a different body? Have you checked that the contacts are clean?
ATJ

Postby aswcheng on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Geoff M wrote:The AF on my Nikkor 18-200VR has ceased to function just two months out of warranty. There were not any preliminary signs of a problem or intermittent functioning, was working fine and then it was not.
I guess its off to the repairers, but who should I send it to for the best service and value?

Hmm... mine developed almost identical symptoms last year, 2-3mths after purchase, and only after half a dozen uses. Perhaps there's some quality control issue for this lens?

On the question of repairs, I took it back to TEDs as it was still under warranty (replaced the motor assembly), but I can't remember who they sent it back to... sorry can't be of help there.
aswcheng

Postby who on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:46 am

Geoff - I'll link you to another forum with a guy who had this problem recently.

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtop ... ight=18200
Well, the lens has been repaired. As expected it was the SWM. The part was only 75 bucks but the labour was $200. Anyway, all fixed now and good as new. I should say that the service at Andersons was very good. I dropped it in on tuesday and even though they had to order the part, it was ready thursday morning. I wonder if that means they are doing so many of these fix ups that they are really quick at it?

Andersons - is at Capalaba so reasonably close to you.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby Geoff M on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm

I took the lens to Andersons yesterday afternoon after trying the lens on a D300 also with the same non function of the AF. The service guys looked at it while I waited and confrimed that indeed the SWM needed replacing.

They quoted $304 inc parts, labour & GST and 10 working days turnaround, so left it with them for repair. Today, less than 24 hours later they phoned to advise that the lens had been repaired and ready for collection.

I will be picking it up tomorrow. :D
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

Geoff M

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:46 pm

Geoff, have you considered the possibility that the problem was not as stated as a 24 hour turnaround is too fast.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 pm

That is some great service!! Shame that the SWM died so quickly on your lens I hope I dont get that problem with my 24-70 or 70-200!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:50 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Geoff, have you considered the possibility that the problem was not as stated as a 24 hour turnaround is too fast.

That is another thing to consider!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Geoff M on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 am

sirhc55 wrote:Geoff, have you considered the possibility that the problem was not as stated as a 24 hour turnaround is too fast.

Chris

This was my first thought too. The invoice they have emailed is as originally quoted i.e replace, SWM. The part had to be ordered from Sydney and I suppose that if it was sent overnight it could easily have been received at Andersens the next morning. I will be asking the question when I pick it up this morning.

Geoff M

Postby Geoff M on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:41 am

aim54x wrote:That is some great service!! Shame that the SWM died so quickly on your lens I hope I dont get that problem with my 24-70 or 70-200!

Yeah. credit where credit is due excellent service provided by Andersens but annoying that the part failed so soon. I may take it up with Nikon, nothing to lose! Parts were $72+GST the remainder was the labour cost. (as posted by Who).

Geoff M

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 am

Wow, when my 17-35 failed for a similar reason (SWM motor), the parts and labour cost was over $1k. Thankfully, insurance covered it.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:35 am

Is the warranty on Nikon lenses only 12 months? Also...if an item fails just after the warranty runs out this does not mean that the manufacturer is absolved from all responsibilities. A camera lens should continue to do what it is supposed to do long after the warranty runs out. I'd do a bit of screaming with this one and threaten to take the matter to consumer affairs. You may get a discount on the repairs. Would any of us buy a lens if we knew it would cease to operate after 12 months?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 am

Matt. K wrote:Is the warranty on Nikon lenses only 12 months? Also...if an item fails just after the warranty runs out this does not mean that the manufacturer is absolved from all responsibilities. A camera lens should continue to do what it is supposed to do long after the warranty runs out. I'd do a bit of screaming with this one and threaten to take the matter to consumer affairs. You may get a discount on the repairs. Would any of us buy a lens if we knew it would cease to operate after 12 months?

In another post, I discussed the failure of our MBD200 grip about 2.5 years after purchase and well out of warranty. I expressed the disappointment to Nikon directly, and they fixed it as if under warranty, with my only outlay initial postage of the grip to Nikon.

It is well worthwhile expressing your disappointment at an item of not inconsiderable expense, failing so quickly.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Nikon