Christ it's ugly...

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby big pix on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:37 pm

sirhc55 wrote:
Glen wrote:Tim, one leaf doesn't make an autumn :wink:

In my day one leaf could make an autumn, but you had to smoke it :wink:

......... :lol: :lol: :lol: .........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Justin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:38 pm

no, christ, Tim send us more I nearly fall of my chair when I see gstark and the ABC warriors roll into action... softly, softly...
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:41 pm

Tim,

We know ya and we loves ya, and I certainly won't hold you responsible for what this individual has said.

Everyone, as you know, is welcome to their own opinion, but clearly some people are better informed about some things than others. As you point out, many other members of your site are regulars here, and have blended into our community in a positive and meaningful manner.

I think that one comment from Mellissa's future ex-hubby should be noted very carefully - he said that he doesn't now trust your recommendations. Given the number of successful recommendations that you've made, that really is a very telling statement about the maker of that statement, more than anything else.

gstark wrote:The choice is yours.

Actually, it's probably not for too much longer. I really don't think we need Mellissa, or her future ex-hubby, abusing people around here.

I'll probably mull over this for ....

about this much longer.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:43 pm

Justin wrote:no, christ, Tim send us more I nearly fall of my chair when I see gstark and the ABC warriors roll into action... softly, softly...

Ok Justin, I don't miss too much, but you've got me on this one. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby johndec on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:43 pm

Mellissa, this site may interest you more:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067172 ... e&n=283155

:wink:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby MCWB on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:45 pm

sirhc55 wrote:In my day one leaf could make an autumn, but you had to smoke it :wink:
 ROFL Chris! :lol:
MCWB

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:48 pm

Damn!

If I didn't have a rule about flaming, I'd probably be inclined to point out the subject of the thread. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Justin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:49 pm

I am a mad 2000AD fan... the abc warriors started in the judge dredd strip, then got their own. A bunch of robot warriors that went out on their own, bunch of misfits, now I think about it probably based on the seven samurai, you know the quiet assassin, the cigar smoking leader etc. It's a good thing...

edit - I love Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Warriors
Justin

Postby Zeeke on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:56 pm

NEWBY wrote:Hi Mate, I took your advice and gave my wife the camera site you recommended. sorry man but they are the rudest bunch of wankers i have ever encountered on the net. One eyed worse that a Bronco's supporter. If you go there, read the thread on ugly. it got me (or my wife) booted for ever. not that it is a great loss as she has now joined a credible group with open minds. Thanks for your help though.

Sorry again folks, but atleast you had a giggle out of it.....

Tim
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 am

Zeeke wrote:
NEWBY wrote:Hi Mate, I took your advice and gave my wife the camera site you recommended. sorry man but they are the rudest bunch of wankers i have ever encountered on the net. One eyed worse that a Bronco's supporter. If you go there, read the thread on ugly. it got me (or my wife) booted for ever. not that it is a great loss as she has now joined a credible group with open minds. Thanks for your help though.

Sorry again folks, but atleast you had a giggle out of it.....

Tim

Tim,

Talk about inaccurate.

First of all, I've not (yet) booted him, so he's wrong there.

And secondly, it wasn't the thread that did the damage; it was his out of control rantings and ravings.

Dontcha just love these people who blame everyone but themselves for their own failings?

Tim, dare I say it with this one though? Hook line and sinker? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 am

Hey Tim, I don't care much for fishing, but I may have a look at your site soon, round two will probably be fought there. :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:01 am

Justin,

Thanx. I think I'll get Leigh to explain that to me. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby optogamut on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:02 am

Zeeke wrote:Looks like ill be keeping my mouth shut from now on..

I'm the site owner mentioned.. running a fishing forum, alot of people see my pictures and message me for info and such... i point everyone here to join up and get in on the action ... Mellissa or "Newby" as he is known on my site asked me about the Sony, seeing as I know bugger all about it, i mentioned they join up here and check out the site, maybe post a question about the camera or something... but i wasnt expecting this...

I guess neither was he!
This was a bit of a pointless thread, some sony bashing, calling a camera ugly and joking around. Nothing that would help someone researching cameras and probably just enough to piss off someone who has already laid down some hard earned cash.
Who knows how many A100 owners we'll have here soon, it is DSLRUsers after all, shouldn't we keep things objective? My 2 cents. :roll:
- Danny
D70, CP700, F80, FM, F, 50/1.8, 28-105,....

"Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety." -Plato
optogamut

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:03 am

phillipb wrote:Hey Tim, I don't care much for fishing, but I may have a look at your site soon, round two will probably be fought there. :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good fishing site for me to go to?

I feel like doing a bit of trolling. :)

Sorry, Tim. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:07 am

optogamut wrote:Who knows how many A100 owners we'll have here soon, it is DSLRUsers after all, shouldn't we keep things objective? My 2 cents. :roll:

Danny,

As and when the camera makes an appearance, if any serious users of it come and join us, I'll be truly interested to hear how it performs. In all honesty, and I'll declare a bias, if any of the Sony DSLRs will be good, it will be this one, because it will essentially be the KM designed one, rather than a Sony designed one.

That said, if Sony can engineer a decent DSLR, so much the better, because that will apply more pressure to Nikon, Canon, et al to build even products, and we'll all benefit from that.

Roll on the D90!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Zeeke on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:16 am

Well, it only gets better

NEWBY wrote:You gotta be kidding me. I just read your addition to the thread "ügly"
You have just destroyed you credibility, totally, with me. Ya cant appologise to me here then say that with your other face. You of all people should be aware of false persecution. Or was it false? Did you indeed do what you were accused of? I now wonder myself. I will now disassociate myself with your site. You are a dead set fucking 2 faced wanker. It is my true hope that you get yours. Live happy (thats right, you cant live. You are mentally fucked up) Now my little friend, should you decide that you will try to do some of your wizz bang computer shit to me remember one thing, I have almost endless resources and an extremely good IT man. DO NOT FUCK WITH ME. Gees and to think I offered to sponsor your web site.

Then he posted this on my site...

http://www.fishseq.com/viewtopic.php?t=1186

Tim

Zeeke

Postby phillipb on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:18 am

Told ya :lol: :lol: :lol:
this is what our friend had to say in Tim's site
To you all, I wish you luck with the 2 faced prick that runs this site. It is a long story and one that does not involve fishing but it does involve LYING and UNETHICAL BEHAVIOUR by your host. Eh TIM?
Take care my fellow fishers and most of you will know where to find me come october. I can be contacted on "Ausfish".

GOOD FISHING TO YOU ALL

Did you refer him to any other site Tim? :lol:

Edit: beat me to it Tim.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Zeeke on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:50 am

Sorry Phil.. didnt want to wreck your fun

I dont mind being called fucked up mentally.. had people telling me that all my life so ive gotten use to it.. but what i do mind is, folks being so bloody rude that they come onto a site i recommend and acting the way this person did.. and while I now look like a prick on my site (disagreement with another fishing site caused me to open my own site which made me look like a super prick, but 465 people have joined since March 26th) i still wont tolerate folks attacking people i admire and respect... so... mr car salesman can go back to Ausfish.. (site i had a disagreement with) and stay there..

Tim

Zeeke

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:53 am

Tim, you're among the mentally fucked up here... I'm so used to it, I consider it a compliment that the so-called "normal" people of society just don't get. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:59 am

Would you buy a used car from this individual?

Genuine low owner, one mileage, I'd imagine. Comes with a Sony sensor instead of an engine.

Four square tyres: gotta keep using the newest technologies ...

And a big nut behind the wheel, I suppose. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mark on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:59 am

gstark wrote:
Greg B wrote:
WHO AM I? a consumer and a rather successful one

Sorry, had to highlight that one. So much I could say, but hey, why state the obvious?

Greg, I noticed that one, but the reality is that the statement seems to be an oxymoron.

Yeah and Sony just love a successful consumer... I was a very successful Sony consumer at one point.....

You would have thought that after the $1000 VCR that broke down 1 month out of warranty needing a $750 repair I would have learned... nup better try a Sony surround sound amp another $1200 down the drain 18 months after buying it.... so what do you do then? that's right fork out for a PS2 that lasted a little over 14 months. Bugger.

Hmmm, if Sony makes it I ain't buying it .... Anymore :!:

Oh and Melissa's husband, good luck with the Camera.... Perhaps when you have a photo you could post it in the image review section....

Seriously though, your first post was a bit over the top for a first post to any forum... Infact I'd say from the tone of it you never expected to become part of this community anyway :?: and your second post well that pretty much confirmed my suspicions....How could anyone seriously expect you to hang around after that outburst...What's more your tanties on Tim's site are pretty much uncalled for... He isn't responsible for the members here nor their views on Sony equiptment as Tim is not responsible for the action of people he refers here... Sounds to me by the tone of your posts like you might have an anger management problem... you are very quick to get very angry in your responses... perhaps this is also why you chose to filter which sites and forums that your wife can and can't be a member of and also speak on her behalf....

I'm guessing that you didn't look far past this thread before you decided to post your initial rant, perhaps you should have a look at this thread as it gives a far better account of what this site is all about than your indepth and well reasearched review....

Here is a link to a forum that I think might be right up your ally :wink:
mark

Postby robw25 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:00 am

" which made me look like a super prick"
WOW what does that make john howard ?

cheers rob
robw25

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:06 am

robw25 wrote:" which made me look like a super prick"
WOW what does that make john howard ?

cheers rob

Dubbya's anal probe? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Steffen on Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:47 am

Justin wrote:no, christ, Tim send us more I nearly fall of my chair when I see gstark and the ABC warriors roll into action... softly, softly...

Hmm, I thought of it more like Sam Lowry vs the Samurai Warrior, i.e. Mr Anon shooting himself in the foot...

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Justin on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:18 am

ah, I know that one - a 'Brazil' reference, love that movie, naw it's definitely mek-quake doing 'big-jobs' hehehe
Justin

Postby nito on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:25 am

It sounds as though he already made up his mind that the sony slr was good. In fact, he did buy the camera and was prob was looking for re-enforcement of his great purchase on this site. Unfortunately he came across this thread and blew up.
nito

Well its out tommorow

Postby ziggy on Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:52 pm

Well its out tommorow, and looks to be a competitive price.
We shall see.
ziggy

Postby Ivanerrol on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:12 pm

Its also being pushed by by the usual suspects on radio and in print as Canon and Nikon beaters.
Ivanerrol

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm sure those usual suspects know a lot about cameras! :lol:
Nnnnsic

Postby Ivanerrol on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:40 pm

subsitute usual suspects to marketting weenie driven usual suspects :lol:
Ivanerrol

Postby ziggy on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:28 pm

Competition is good
ziggy

Postby Big Red on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:39 am

Geez that dude sure got a bit miffed just because some people hung shit on his camera :shock:
Big Red

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:12 am

ziggy wrote:Competition is good

It is.

The problem most of us are recognising is that Sony is not a manufacturer of optical equipment, which is what a camera is. Throughout the whole hostory of photography, the best photographoc equipment has been made by specialist manufacturers - those who understand the problems and needs of photographers.

That is a new market for Sony, and it is to be expected that, despite the fine KM heritage, they will not get it 100% right first time.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 am

That said, I saw a magazine today touting a first look / review of the first Samsung DSLR... which made me think... what the fuck?! It's a Pentax with a Samsung badge on it!
Nnnnsic

Postby gooseberry on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:00 am

:lol: :lol: This thread just cracked me up... unfortunately it got back on topic and was about cameras again :( I was enjoying the read.... :P
gooseberry

Postby ziggy on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:45 am

gstark wrote:
ziggy wrote:Competition is good

It is.

The problem most of us are recognising is that Sony is not a manufacturer of optical equipment, which is what a camera is. Throughout the whole hostory of photography, the best photographoc equipment has been made by specialist manufacturers - those who understand the problems and needs of photographers.

That is a new market for Sony, and it is to be expected that, despite the fine KM heritage, they will not get it 100% right first time.

While I am no Sony fan, I beg to differ. Sony have been there since the 70's when Electronics met Camera - video camera, and have some of the finest pro video available. Yes they have lost the consumer latly, but still have huge pro links. That and they supply nearly everyone with the electronics that make Nikons, and some Canons.
ziggy

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 am

ziggy wrote:Sony have been there since the 70's when Electronics met Camera - video camera, and have some of the finest pro video available

But the demainds and needs of video, vs still image photography are very different. Video does not require the same degree of acuity, for instance, due to the movement in the images.

And the fact that Sony makes sensors is irrelevant: there's a lot more to makign a camera than just the sensor.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ziggy on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:57 am

gstark wrote:
ziggy wrote:Sony have been there since the 70's when Electronics met Camera - video camera, and have some of the finest pro video available

But the demainds and needs of video, vs still image photography are very different. Video does not require the same degree of acuity, for instance, due to the movement in the images.

And the fact that Sony makes sensors is irrelevant: there's a lot more to makign a camera than just the sensor.

Not if you listen to Canon folks :)
ziggy

Postby ziggy on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:13 am

Anyway DPreview has its review up

Some nice looking lenses http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page3.asp
ziggy

Postby anubis on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:29 am

Oops.....sorry can't read..... :)

link to review is above
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby Oscar on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:53 am

And for all those interested in buying...$1,749.00 at Hardly Normals as per todays ad (Connect DT).
Oscar

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:03 am

I quite like the idea of not having the secondary display, but instead, all of the information on the review panel.

And I do like the concept of making it rotatable, but in saying that, I'm not sure if that's a truly usable feature: the camera is designed to be held in a particular manner, and that is not portrait mode.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:24 am

I read about the Samsung DSLR in Australian Photography mag....to me it looked way to basic. Then again, the shot of it wasn't crash hot as it was a 3/4 shot from the handgrip side.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Previous

Return to Other