K10D - any opinions?

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

K10D - any opinions?

Postby BT*ist on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:37 am

For a while there about a week ago, when my istDS was at the camera doctor, I was in the throes of trying to figure out what camera I would buy if worst came to worst.

Basically, other than my 10-20mm Sigma, all the lenses I have for my Pentax are/were kit lenses, and beyond this the only other dedicated instrument I have is a remote shutter control. So... I'm only partially committed to Pentax.

So I took a look at the dpreview write-up on the K10D, particularly the conclusions,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page25.asp
and overall I wasn't as blown away by the comments as I had been by the features. Sure, one salesperson I spoke to who called it a direct competitor of the Nikon 200D for half the price (!!?) might have been a little over-eager.. yet I'm intrigued by the K10D's features: weather sealing, shake reduction, shake cleaning, ISO priority...

Does anybody have any first-hand experiences?
BT*ist

Postby Pa on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 am

hi bi*st my wife has the k100,it has the shake reduction feature.she doesn't have any heavy lenses but does have a 100-300mm.she doesn't
seem to have trouble holding it steady.hope this helps.
cheers pa
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby Heath Bennett on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:23 pm

We've been using one since before Xmas - fantastic cam, just make sure you shoot RAW as the JPGs aren't well processed. Dust protection, sealed body, big viewfinder, on 3fps, not overly heavy, first Pentax to use tech similar to Nikon and Canon's fast silent focusing motors... Also the lithium battery is so much better than NIMH only on previous models.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby BT*ist on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Thanks for that - may I ask what kind of computer speed you're working with when manipulating the raw files, which I understand are about 10Mb in size? My lappa has 512Mb ram and 2.4Ghz and with 3Mb files I take, I do find the odd bit of lag (or even freezing) when using photoshop.

Also, good to hear about the batteries. If I go the way of the K10D, it'll be a bit of a change for me, since I use 4 (rechargable) AA batteries in the istDS...
BT*ist

Postby Heath Bennett on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:38 am

BT*ist wrote:Thanks for that - may I ask what kind of computer speed you're working with when manipulating the raw files, which I understand are about 10Mb in size? My lappa has 512Mb ram and 2.4Ghz and with 3Mb files I take, I do find the odd bit of lag (or even freezing) when using photoshop.

Also, good to hear about the batteries. If I go the way of the K10D, it'll be a bit of a change for me, since I use 4 (rechargable) AA batteries in the istDS...

The battery grip will use 2 batteries, as well as holding a SD card and remote. Good thinking Pentax.

I'm currently using Macpro with a weedy 2GB Ram (need to get more to make the most of the speed) but a chunky 512MB graphics card.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby BT*ist on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Mine arrived yesterday, so I should be able to answer my own question soon. :D :D

Big brother, little brother.
and in full Batman gear (the Pentax strap isn't actually attached in this shot):

Based on about a dozen shots, I'm extremely happy about the speed and accuracy of the autofocus as compared to the istDS.
Pentax istDS+K10D. Pentax 50mm f1.4, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, Kit Lenses. http://www.redbubble.com/people/berndt2
BT*ist

Postby Big Red on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:09 pm

the sealed DA* lenses should be out shortly which will make it great to give you something to do on a rainy day 8)
can't wait :lol:
Big Red

Postby BT*ist on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:02 am

That will be good (are they actually being released, or are the rumours of it being soon just more loud than usual?). Anyway, next on my list the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro.
Pentax istDS+K10D. Pentax 50mm f1.4, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, Kit Lenses. http://www.redbubble.com/people/berndt2
BT*ist

Postby Big Red on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:28 am

there been a few protos and prices have been set etc so they should be soon.

you will love the Tamron ... its a fantastic lens !!
so sharp you could carve with it :lol:
Big Red

Return to Other