Richard Carleton

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Richard Carleton

Postby big pix on Sun May 07, 2006 4:45 pm

........... reporter Richard Carleton ... has died after suffering a suspected heart attack at Tasmania's Beaconsfield Gold Mine.

from the SMH site
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Oneputt on Sun May 07, 2006 5:12 pm

I never liked the guy after he asked me if I knew who he was. :?
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby nito on Sun May 07, 2006 5:16 pm

celebrites, always wants things for free. Even when they can pay for it themselves at over inflated prices. :twisted:
nito

Postby macka on Sun May 07, 2006 5:18 pm

nito wrote:celebrites, always wants things for free. Even when they can pay for it themselves at over inflated prices. :twisted:

I'm sorry but, what has that got to do with anything? :?
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby SteveGriffin on Sun May 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Love him or hate him he was undoubtedly a thorough investigative journo who put fear into many of those that faced his questioning.
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby birddog114 on Sun May 07, 2006 5:36 pm

I've seen him in many of the 60 minutes sessions, got closed and talked to him couple times, once I did some jobs for the NRMA Care Flight same as POLAIR in the past.
Not really like him much but just having my thoughts & sympathies to his loved ones and his colleagues.
God bless him!!!
Last edited by birddog114 on Sun May 07, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby LostDingo on Sun May 07, 2006 5:37 pm

love or hate as you wish but respect is in order in times such as this
LostDingo

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun May 07, 2006 5:43 pm

Indeed.

Dying while you're doing a report, probably for 60 Minutes, can't be a nice thing.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Oneputt on Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 pm

LD respect is something which has to be earned. Whilst I feel for his family and friends, his passing means nothing to me.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby macka on Sun May 07, 2006 5:52 pm

Oneputt wrote:LD respect is something which has to be earned. Whilst I feel for his family and friends, his passing means nothing to me.

I agree. I don't understand why you have to respect someone just because they died. Dying is not exactly hard. I wouldn't wish it on anyone (well, not too many people :wink: ), but I don't think it commands respect.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby petal666 on Sun May 07, 2006 5:56 pm

I don't know him, don't respect his reporting style or anything I have seen of him. I don't think that he deserves my respect in death.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby Ivanerrol on Sun May 07, 2006 6:04 pm

Love him or hate him he was undoubtedly a thorough investigative journo who put fear into many of those that faced his questioning.

Sorry to mention. to me, his initimate investigations were very shallow. Something I was involved in overseas was reported on by him. He relied on second hand information interpreted this his own way and then asked confronting questions like of the type - "when did you stop beating your wife". - Sensationalism.

However, you don't wish prostate cancer or heart conditions on anyone.
Ivanerrol

Postby gstark on Sun May 07, 2006 6:16 pm

I think in his earlier days he was a good reporter, and a good investigative reporter. Unfortunatgely, the, er, demands of working in a tabloid pseudo current affairs program such as 60 Minutes means that a reporter needs to compromise their standards in order to bring home their paycheck, and his integrity and the uality of his reporting has suffered at the hands of the people who run 60 Minutes.

And I think I've already heard the word "tragedy" mentiioned a number of times in relation to his passing. Yes, it's sad that he's passed on. Hardly a tragedy though.

Sopie Delezio's continued traumas? There's a tragedy. What is it about elderly men that they keep on driving their cars into this poor liitle girl?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Sun May 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Nnnnsic
Dying anytime is probably not a pleasant act. :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Manta on Sun May 07, 2006 6:41 pm

I agree Gary - the word tragedy should be reserved for those events that actually are.

As for Richard Carleton? I never met him or had anything to do with him. What he was like as a person was probably vastly different to the persona he portrayed on TV, as is often the case.

Regardless of how the public view him, he was someone's husband, father, grandfather, friend, mentor, boss, work mate; no doubt many things to many people.

Richard no longer needs our respect but I'm sure those who cared about him would be pleased to accept our condolences. It's their lives that have now suffered loss, if not ours.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Kellogs on Sun May 07, 2006 7:24 pm

Well that really saddens me that some of you have that sort of attitude to someone you probably didn't even know!!!

I think Manta summed it up beautifully. He obviously did mean something to someone so spare a thought for them – AT LEAST!!
Kellogs

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun May 07, 2006 7:33 pm

Kellogs wrote:He obviously did mean something to someone so spare a thought for them – AT LEAST!!

Not to pull this off-topic and while I don't feel like the others, one could also argue that there were people who cared for Hitler and were sad when he died... does that mean we should spare a thought for them?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Killakoala on Sun May 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Rest in peace Richard. At least he died doing what he loved.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Manta on Sun May 07, 2006 7:55 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:
Kellogs wrote:He obviously did mean something to someone so spare a thought for them – AT LEAST!!

Not to pull this off-topic and while I don't feel like the others, one could also argue that there were people who cared for Hitler and were sad when he died... does that mean we should spare a thought for them?

Absolutely. Are we to tar with the same brush every relative of an insane person?
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby BBJ on Sun May 07, 2006 8:05 pm

I watched this event at the start on tv and new from the start that it would be the last time we will see as it was very sudden and knowing his health has not been the best straight away i thought a heart attack.

I dont know him but as i am a big 60 mins fan and have been for a long time and admired his style of reporting, not affraid to get to the dirt.

I will miss seeing him on the program, and thoughts to his family as if there is not enough heartache at Beaconsfield.

A great journo, will be sadley missed.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Finch on Sun May 07, 2006 8:41 pm

Manta wrote:I agree Gary - the word tragedy should be reserved for those events that actually are.

As for Richard Carleton? I never met him or had anything to do with him. What he was like as a person was probably vastly different to the persona he portrayed on TV, as is often the case.

Regardless of how the public view him, he was someone's husband, father, grandfather, friend, mentor, boss, work mate; no doubt many things to many people.

Richard no longer needs our respect but I'm sure those who cared about him would be pleased to accept our condolences. It's their lives that have now suffered loss, if not ours.

I couldn't agree more with Simon's comments.

For goodness sake, you may not have liked his style of reporting but that shouldn't mean you don't give a hoot about the fact that this man has died today. I also learned heaps over the years of watching his reports and he certainly was able to address issues that others were afraid to.

Michael
Finch

Postby petal666 on Sun May 07, 2006 8:42 pm

BBJ wrote:...as if there is not enough heartache at Beaconsfield.

Sure, one man has died and another 2 are STILL underground, that is all very sad, but how many innocent people have died on the roads since then? 15 seconds on the news and that is it. Car crashes aren't sensational enough any more.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby petal666 on Sun May 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Finch wrote:....and he certainly was able to address issues that others were afraid to.

And probably ruined many lives doing it.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby Finch on Sun May 07, 2006 8:51 pm

petal666 wrote:
Finch wrote:....and he certainly was able to address issues that others were afraid to.

And probably ruined many lives doing it.

Gotta love democracy, opinion and freedom of speech........

Michael
Finch

Postby Nikon boy on Sun May 07, 2006 9:29 pm

No Offence meant to anyone here but isn't this a digital photography site/forum ?
I log in here to learn/observe/admire all aspects of the medium,
what on earth has this thread got to do with DSLR Users ?

True we are a kind of community that shares knowledge and abilities
but if we are going to discuss this sort of stuff aren't we departing from photography as our purpose in being and becoming a ''chat room''?

Can we keep to the purpose of our title ?

You know , it says "A discussion forum for users of Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras''

I do realise there have been a lot of these threads over time and that i don't have to read them, but aren't there enough photographic subjects/topics to keep us going without this kind of stuff being posted?.
Nikon boy Norman
Nikon boy

Postby Finch on Sun May 07, 2006 9:50 pm

Nikon boy,

I respect and appreciate your opinion. The forum is here to learn/share/offer advice etc on photography-related stuff but there is also a bit of banter that goes on that may deal with current issues. There is also a humour section, nerd corner, music etc that have nothing to do with photos.

Let's celebrate our differences!

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun May 07, 2006 9:54 pm

My condolences to his family. :cry:

My take on this is "the media".

Not to comment on Richard or his work, but I do find it a tad ironic that his death occurred at the worst example of a media feeding frenzy that I can remember since the Lindy Chamberlain days.

I was only thinking to myself that the news was obviously too slow for the media this afternoon (seeing the miners have not been released) that they had turned on themselves, a true definition of a feeding frenzy.

At that time I was thinking of the assassination by innuendo of Naomi Robson (aka "The Princess") and the stories surrounding her, her makeup, how many minions she surronds herself with etc, etc. How far from reality can we get?

Now we have an actual death for the media to gorge themselves on.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby owen on Sun May 07, 2006 10:06 pm

Nikon boy wrote:No Offence meant to anyone here but isn't this a digital photography site/forum ?

but if we are going to discuss this sort of stuff aren't we departing from photography as our purpose in being and becoming a ''chat room''?

You know , it says "A discussion forum for users of Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras''

I do realise there have been a lot of these threads over time and that i don't have to read them, but aren't there enough photographic subjects/topics to keep us going without this kind of stuff being posted?.

It is a photo forum, but combine the knowledge of everyone here and there is nothing we don't know. I have learnt about gardening, parking at Macquarie uni, how to sort my finances out when looking to build a house, what to do about my lump :), any many other things here. Everyone is really helpful!
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby ozczecho on Sun May 07, 2006 10:16 pm

gstark wrote:...<snip>
Sopie Delezio's continued traumas? There's a tragedy. What is it about elderly men that they keep on driving their cars into this poor liitle girl?

Exactly.
ozczecho

Postby nito on Sun May 07, 2006 10:16 pm

macka wrote:
nito wrote:celebrites, always wants things for free. Even when they can pay for it themselves at over inflated prices. :twisted:

Because of oneputt comment on how the late richard carlton asked him "do you know who I am". That how they try to get freebies on the department stores. Ask Meg Ryan :twisted: who wanted a free designer shirt at a major department store in sydney because she was Meg Ryan.

Personally I like the man's reports and will miss his presence on the 9 network.
nito

Postby macka on Sun May 07, 2006 10:19 pm

nito wrote:
macka wrote:

Because of oneputt comment on how the late richard carlton asked him "do you know who I am". That how they try to get freebies on the department stores. Ask Meg Ryan :twisted: who wanted a free designer shirt at a major department store in sydney because she was Meg Ryan.

Ah, ok, sorry, I missed the connection originally.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby big pix on Sun May 07, 2006 10:30 pm

Nikon boy wrote:No Offence meant to anyone here but isn't this a digital photography site/forum ?

Compassion is a wonderful thing..... some have it, some don't...... I made this post out of respect for a member of the press. Anyone who has worked professionally in photography, television, and related industries, will know how small this community is. During a working life you meet a lot of people more than once, but many times, you get to work with all sorts of people, some become famous, some don't, it does not matter, or lessen the respect for a fellow worker in a related industry.......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Return to General Discussion