Selling your Pix's

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Selling your Pix's

Postby big pix on Sun May 07, 2006 10:54 pm

Has anyone tried this site.......

http://www.totallyphotos.com/photograph ... ation1.php

......or do you use another......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Suri on Sun May 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Would be interested if anyone has used one of these databanks for stock photography.??
D300, D200, (D70 - now with daughter) and heaps of Nikon stuff.
http://www.pbase.com/steven_hight
Suri

Postby Jonas on Mon May 08, 2006 11:36 am

I've not used anything like this. But it looks appealing because you can upload images at no cost with the chance to make money from them.

However, the prices charged are quite low, they take a 50% cut from that and they don't pay out until you get above $100 in the account. With so many images on the database, I would assume unless you had some spectacular photos it might be unlikely the average punter would reach above $100 and therefore ever receive any money.

Still, it doesn't cost anything so why not give it a go?
Nikon D70s, Nikkor 18-70, Sigma 70-300DG APO
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasphoto/
Jonas

Postby Raskill on Mon May 08, 2006 2:01 pm

Jonas wrote:Still, it doesn't cost anything so why not give it a go?

For the very reason you said Jonas.

The average punter will get nothing out of this set up, and the company gets funds from your images. :twisted:

Making money from your images is one thing, I've sold a few, and done some commisioned stuff, but these stock photo mobs expect good quality images and you get peanuts in return (but only after you have one hundred peanuts dont forget).

I'd rather find a cafe or resturaunt to hang my images in and give the owner 25% of my sales than do this.

But thats just my two bob....
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Dug on Mon May 08, 2006 6:38 pm

alamy.com is still working for me :D

Good service and good sales. Top sale so far is over $1,000 for a single image. I'm averaging between 1 & 2 K per month.

No upfront costs and a fair price for photos.
Dug

Postby macka on Mon May 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Dug wrote:alamy.com is still working for me :D
I'm averaging between 1 & 2 K per month.

Dug,

I looked into old threads about this recently, and read some posts by you from some time ago. Definately seems as though this is working out well for you, and congrats. :)

Just so that people don't get the wrong impression - I understand that you have some 10 000 (probably more by now) images up there, and spend significant amounts of time keywording your images. Also, I believe alamy requires you to send your stuff on a CD, so it is not quite as convenient/easy as some of the others. Definately one of the better paying ones though.

Pat and I are currently looking into http://photographersdirect.com/, but haven't started with any stock site as yet. Just another one for people to check out if they are interested. :)
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby NikonUser on Mon May 08, 2006 7:26 pm

Dug,

Out of interest is there an address where I can see your alamy submissions? I've been thinking about doing this for some of my images.

Paul
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby nito on Mon May 08, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks for the links. I often wondered about selling you photo's as stocks.
nito

Postby Alex on Mon May 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Alamy requires file sizes 48 MB minimum (in 8 bit per channel format). My jpg files from D70 are normally 2-3 MB. Does it mean I would have to upsample my files to a size which would correspond to such file size?

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby radar on Mon May 08, 2006 9:04 pm

NikonUser wrote:Dug,

Out of interest is there an address where I can see your alamy submissions? I've been thinking about doing this for some of my images.

Paul

Dug has a link on his web site that points to his Alamy photos:

Stock photography by Doug Steley at Alamy

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby rooboy on Mon May 08, 2006 9:08 pm

Alex wrote:Alamy requires file sizes 48 MB minimum (in 8 bit per channel format). My jpg files from D70 are normally 2-3 MB. Does it mean I would have to upsample my files to a size which would correspond to such file size?

Thanks
Alex

The 48Mb file size is for Tiffs. A normal D70 file is 17Mb in tiff form, so yes, you will need to upscale. I'd imagine that it's not too easy if you shoot Jpeg, as the quality differences would be more apparent when upsizing.
So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all!
rooboy

Postby Alex on Mon May 08, 2006 9:13 pm

rooboy wrote:
Alex wrote:Alamy requires file sizes 48 MB minimum (in 8 bit per channel format). My jpg files from D70 are normally 2-3 MB. Does it mean I would have to upsample my files to a size which would correspond to such file size?

Thanks
Alex

The 48Mb file size is for Tiffs. A normal D70 file is 17Mb in tiff form, so yes, you will need to upscale. I'd imagine that it's not too easy if you shoot Jpeg, as the quality differences would be more apparent when upsizing.

Thanks, Rooboy. I shoot RAW, so I can always save them as 8-bit tiffs and then upsize. I must say that having to send a CD is a pain this day and age.

Alex
Alex

Postby Dug on Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 pm

I shoot Raw on D70s and then upsize. I post batches of DVDs usually 85 images per DVD.

Uploading such large files over the net would take a while i would think.

I have no problem posting batches of DVDs every few weeks It is the keywording process that kills me :(

That is what I am supposed to be doing now I have keyworded 46 photos so far tonight and only have another 1132 to go :cry:
Dug

Postby Dug on Mon May 08, 2006 10:06 pm

macka wrote:
Dug wrote:alamy.com is still working for me :D
I'm averaging between 1 & 2 K per month.

Dug,

I looked into old threads about this recently, and read some posts by you from some time ago. Definately seems as though this is working out well for you, and congrats. :)

Just so that people don't get the wrong impression - I understand that you have some 10 000 (probably more by now) images up there, and spend significant amounts of time keywording your images. Also, I believe alamy requires you to send your stuff on a CD, so it is not quite as convenient/easy as some of the others. Definately one of the better paying ones though.

Pat and I are currently looking into http://photographersdirect.com/, but haven't started with any stock site as yet. Just another one for people to check out if they are interested. :)

True I have invested a LOT of time into this but I find it is paying off in a good income stream and interesting tax advantages :D

I have time and I love taking photos as I have said before if I stop doing this the income continues while Alamy is operating. I also think it is good
to support a company who sell images for a fair price I think the cheap image libraries are undercutting the market so I will not submit to them.

All I can say is it works for me, I have no problem in talking about it because in the market at the moment you get big or get out.

I want alamy to get big :D :D to protect my investment of time and photos. PS I have 12,300 images for sale as of tonight!
Last edited by Dug on Mon May 08, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dug

Postby big pix on Mon May 08, 2006 10:06 pm

Dug wrote:I have no problem posting batches of DVDs every few weeks It is the keywording process that kills me :(

.... could this be done using Adobe bridge .......... bridge batch process
Last edited by big pix on Mon May 08, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Dug on Mon May 08, 2006 10:17 pm

big pix wrote:
Dug wrote:I have no problem posting batches of DVDs every few weeks It is the keywording process that kills me :(

.... could this be done using Adobe bridge ..........

You still have to come up with about 50 words to describe every image.

I have keyworded 12,300 images so far, that is about 6 million words to describe the photos :shock:

Keywording is as important as the photo as a good photo with poor keywording will not be seen by buyers.

If you look up a single word like "water" you get 500,000 image options
"water glass" gets 13,000 options, "water glass drinking" gets 4,000,
"Water glass drinking pure" get 400 options,

If you were looking for an image of pure drinking water it would be easier to sort through 400 photos than 500,000. So you have to have lots of keyword options.
Dug

Return to General Discussion