5D testing so far

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

5D testing so far

Postby padey on Thu May 11, 2006 2:29 pm

Well I’ve been testing a 5D for a few days now, 24-70mm and 85mm f1.2. The 5D is a very nice camera. It’s not particularly fast, but for what I do, it would fit right in.

One thing that really stands out is the bright viewfinder. Really nice if manual focusing in low light is your thing. And low light performance is excellent. The resolution is not really noticeable over what I already use, but that is something for a 16x20 print test (which I’m not bothered to do).

Being able to use your entire lens has its advantages and disadvantages, and those are well documented. But if I shoot wide open, the corners are OOF anyway, so not a big deal. If I was to shoot landscapes or something like that, your fast expensive glass losses some appeal as you need to stop it down to deal with vignetting. But the thing is you need to pro glass to handle corner sharpness. So it’s a bit of a catch 22. But in all reality, I could easily live with this camera; so far…

The problem for me comes with the ergonomics. Using Nikon based cameras for year have broken me toward Canon button/function layout. Some things are so hard to do, that are easy in Nikon based cameras.

I’ll have it for another day but as my thinking-out-loud has highlighted (thanks guys) that if I didn’t have that much of an investment in Nikon glass, then it’d be a no-brianer. Secondly, the Fuji S4 is due for announcement in September. And I’m always amazed by the Fuji S3 RAW files, and hope the S4 will continue the progression.
Andrew

Canon make photocopiers and stick lenses on them....
padey

Postby BBJ on Thu May 11, 2006 5:25 pm

Andrew sounds good and i am sure Gavin will convince you but yes the glass would be the factor although Gaving selling all his Nikon and over to Canon and well i am not bias Nikon just happen to be the first camera i got well dslr anyhow from my Fuji, i have not seen the 5D anywhere down here but well i am sure you will continue to play and experiment.
Have fun.

Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 11, 2006 5:27 pm

BBJ wrote:Andrew sounds good and i am sure Gavin will convince you but yes the glass would be the factor although Gaving selling all his Nikon and over to Canon and well i am not bias Nikon just happen to be the first camera i got well dslr anyhow from my Fuji, i have not seen the 5D anywhere down here but well i am sure you will continue to play and experiment.
Have fun.

Cheers
John
BBJ

Any Sport & wildlife shooters don't need the 5D that why you didn't see them in your area.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu May 11, 2006 6:31 pm

Andrew,

As you've noted, the Canon doesn't have the ergonomics of the Nikon, and to my mond, this is true through the whole range: even the EOS 1DS MkII, as good a camera as it is, doesn't feel as natural to someone who has used Nikons for as long as I have, but more to the point - and as you've mentioned - some functions that are just so easy to use/change/operate on a Nikon are a real PITA to do on the Canons.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Marty on Thu May 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Hey Guys,
interesting comments you made.
I agree that if you are used to the feel of one brand of camera, then jumping to another will initially feel strange.
Everybody gets used to the feel of what they currently use.
But personally after using both Nikon on Canon for many years, I dont agree when you say Canon doesnt have the ergonomics...
I dont mind shooting with either brand.
I use 1 series Canons and initially having to hold two buttons simultaneously to change a setting seemed hard work.
But after a few days it is second nature and changing any settings is done in a second.
But changing brands is always an expensive move.
You have to have good reasons to change, or lots of cash to burn. :wink: .
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Return to General Discussion