Beaconsfield & media cynicism

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Beaconsfield & media cynicism

Postby stubbsy on Wed May 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Is it just me, or is this beyond the pale:

Eddie McGuire flew in to Beaconsfield yesterday to shout free beers at the pub and announce a live version of both the AFL and NRL Footy shows would come from there, with Eddie returning from being chairman of Channel Nine to front the AFL one. The reason for all this had nothing to do with Channel Nine's attempt to get the exclusive story of the miners, but rather he said "I wanted to come down to support my team. We lost a comrade in an accident during the week with Richard Carleton"

So now the death of a staff member is milked for sympathy as part of the bidding war. In associated news crikey reports "that the (rescued) duo is negotiating a $6 million deal with the Nine Network – a deal that could be much more than just the story of a rescue. Apart from the TV tell-all, the magazine spreads, the book, the telemovie, product endorsements, celebrity appearances, speeches and international rights, Todd and Brant could become "faces" of a TV network which would wrap itself around their quintessential story of mateship, survival, heroism and Australian values"
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed May 10, 2006 5:21 pm

Interesting since it seemed like Mel and Koshi got in first with Sunrise and Channel 7. But yeah I think Eddy coming down stinks :(
Alpha_7

Postby owen on Wed May 10, 2006 5:28 pm

I hope that the two miners milk the networks for all they can get, they deserve it.
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed May 10, 2006 5:30 pm

Of course there is no doubt that it's a wonderful story...

but

... the media spend must have been enormous. Eddie Everywhere was the last straw. Every talking head in Australia must have been there. Even the local Brisbane Channel 9 newsreader went down, apparently on the basis that one of the rescued miners was born in Queensland, so Channel 9 wanted a local flavour. Puh-lease!

I hope the miners, the miners' families, the unions, the town and whoever else sucks the media dry - that's what they deserve.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Paul on Wed May 10, 2006 5:32 pm

But can the networks compete against the buying budget of Oprah?
Good luck to the guys, they deserve every cent they get. 8)
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby stubbsy on Wed May 10, 2006 5:32 pm

owen wrote:I hope that the two miners milk the networks for all they can get, they deserve it.

Couldn't agree more Owen. I have no problems with the miners and their families getting paid, just with the lengths the media will go to in order to get the story. They'd sell their mother (or in this case dance on a dead reporter's grave) in order to get that exclusive.

And I forgot to mention Channel Nine are also going to organise a telethon to raise money for Beaconsfield. If only they spent all that money on improving the overall quality of what they screened.

And yes Oprah is interested too, in fact she interrupted her show to announce the miner's were free - something she rarely does, apparently.
Last edited by stubbsy on Wed May 10, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby myarhidia on Wed May 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Personally, I'm peeved at the responses from their families during the week with remarks like "if anyone could survive, it would be them".

Tell that to Larry Night's wife & four kids. Survival had nothing to do with it, Gods Hand &/or luck (depending on your beliefs) is the reason, not that they did anything special apart from sit in a cage & wait.
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby stubbsy on Wed May 10, 2006 5:37 pm

myarhidia wrote:not that they did anything special apart from sit in a cage & wait.

A cage none of us would want to be in though. Right up until the end there was always the risk it could end in another cave in & they'd be dead.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby owen on Wed May 10, 2006 5:37 pm

There's not much you can do about a rock falling on you, however to sit around for 2 weeks after that in a dark confined space would require a certain kind of character not to go mad. Perhaps that's what they were referring to?

owen

Postby Marty on Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 pm

I hope they still got paid by their employer whilst sat in the cage.
I would be asking for overtime rates.
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby owen on Wed May 10, 2006 5:41 pm

Don't forget that bonus you get for not having a long enough break between shifts :)

owen

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed May 10, 2006 5:42 pm

Marty wrote:I hope they still got paid by their employer whilst sat in the cage.
Marty

Overtime + Penatly rates for consequetive hours, no breaks I'd say they would be getting a big fat pay cheque! But best of all they are alive and healthy and hopefully have plenty of years ahead of them.
Alpha_7

Postby MHD on Wed May 10, 2006 5:44 pm

What;s this about a mine?
?
?
?
?

seriously I have never seen anything more sickening...

Bloody profiteers!

the whole thing is a circus, the whole town is going to need counciling not to mention all us decent folk going nuts with the crap on the box....

I dont know, two miner get caught, one killed... HUNDREDS DIE IN CHINA EACH YEAR..

Oh they are not Australian (or American or British) so it does not matter

(rant endeth here)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby drifter on Wed May 10, 2006 5:46 pm

The funny part about any bidding war is that basically the whole story has just about been told and some . So the only thing thats going to drive this $$$ story is channel 9 or 7 out bidding each other just so the other doesn't have bragging rights .
I'm happy that the blokes are out safe and sound and wish them well ,but i have zero interest in any other details about it .
Tony

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
drifter

Postby stubbsy on Wed May 10, 2006 5:48 pm

MHD wrote:I dont know, two miner get caught, one killed... HUNDREDS DIE IN CHINA EACH YEAR..

(rant endeth here)

Life is full of inconsistencies. John Howard has announced the guvmint will provide financial support to the family of the dead miner. The day before that announcement some workers died in an explosives factory fire in Port Pirie - no mention of help for their families or the other Australians who die in work related accidents each year.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 10, 2006 5:50 pm

I heard from trusted source: each of them will receive the initial payment of $50k for staying inside the cage 14 days, that sum is being their wages for 24 hours shift in 14 days + penalties etc....

+ they may have their challenges later in the court or some such of other form of compensations, suffering, hardships + selling their stories to the media.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Aussie Dave on Wed May 10, 2006 5:58 pm

It's interesting that we didn't hear about all those that died in car accidents etc. in the last two weeks. Perhaps they don't count....or could it be that this happens every day so no-one gives a $hit ?

Personally, I am very happy for the miners that managed to stay alive and get rescued.....but it's all a huge farse in my book. It doesn't surprise me one bit that the media are all over this. However as soon as they milk it for all it's worth, the media will be saying, "that's old news.....now to our latest tragedy...."

Pessimistic....or realistic.

I'll let you choose :-)
[/rant]
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby gstark on Wed May 10, 2006 6:04 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:
Marty wrote:I hope they still got paid by their employer whilst sat in the cage.
Marty

Overtime + Penatly rates for consequetive hours, no breaks I'd say they would be getting a big fat pay cheque! But best of all they are alive and healthy and hopefully have plenty of years ahead of them.

Yep.

How much of that will they see after the Tax Department takes its cut though?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 10, 2006 6:04 pm

How's about the AWB? Wrong corpse of a soldier returned? They will have their life as the story of "children overboard" :twisted:

I think the media has good senses and why Eddie went down there.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 10, 2006 6:05 pm

gstark wrote:
Alpha_7 wrote:
Marty

Yep.

How much of that will they see after the Tax Department takes its cut though?

With new Tax rate in the Budget 06 last night? :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MHD on Wed May 10, 2006 6:05 pm

and Johnny breathes a sigh of relief...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 10, 2006 6:07 pm

I'm going to try to contact them to sell coupa D2x with lenses :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Suri on Wed May 10, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm going to try to contact them to sell coupa D2x with lenses Laughing Laughing Laughing

Starting to get desperate here while waiting on a new camera, so don't sell all your D2x stock Birddog.

The Miner thing was/is a great story - with an unusual HAPPY ending.
Perhaps they planned the whole thing, living down the hole for two weeks eating chips and gravy, and plotting a media coup. Sort of like the Luna Landing conspiracy thing.

Still, that said, it made me feel good that they made it.
Few countries in the world would have gone to this effort to save these guys. What chance would you have given these blokes in a similar situation in say the USA? - mmm I wonder?
It demonstrates the value Australia puts on human life, and CHEERS to all those who played a part in displaying such qualities to a World Audience.
It made me feel proud, and sort of gooey inside.

And by the way - who presented it to the World.
I believe they are called the media.
D300, D200, (D70 - now with daughter) and heaps of Nikon stuff.
http://www.pbase.com/steven_hight
Suri

Postby MCWB on Wed May 10, 2006 6:44 pm

birddog114 wrote:I'm going to try to contact them to sell coupa D2x with lenses :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you should put them at the top of the D200 backorder list, I'm sure people here would be happy to wait a little while longer. :twisted: :lol:
MCWB

Postby bago100 on Wed May 10, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm glad the miners survived and were rescued, however my thoughts also go to the rescuers and others who spent long hours in the mine working for their release.

Will the media be waving chequebooks in front of these people too?

I think I know the answer to that.

As for Eddie Everywhere being there, I'm surprised our Prime Minister wasn't there as well. He seems to pop up whenever there is publicity to be had!

Say a prayer for Sophie. She deserves all the help, spiritual and otherwise.

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Raskill on Wed May 10, 2006 7:09 pm

birddog114 wrote:I'm going to try to contact them to sell coupa D2x with lenses :lol: :lol: :lol:

They'll likely be after F/1.8 lenses mate, for all the low light stuff..... :lol:

Maybe a couple of Sb800s also?
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby MATT on Wed May 10, 2006 8:33 pm

MHD wrote:
I dont know, two miner get caught, one killed... HUNDREDS DIE IN CHINA EACH YEAR..

(rant endeth here)

Its great news..Thats why. I work at Moura and 2 guys surviving is wonderfull.

I do agree about the media and I hope they suck the networks dry.

But lets not forget the other great tale of survival , the guys floating around in the Torest Straight for 3 weeks in a tinny.

I also hope nooen for gets Larry Knight and his family!! They have alot of Christmases and birthdays without him.

MATT

For the record I HATE :evil: Eddie
MATT

Postby suzanneg on Wed May 10, 2006 8:50 pm

stubbsy wrote:
MHD wrote:I dont know, two miner get caught, one killed... HUNDREDS DIE IN CHINA EACH YEAR..

(rant endeth here)

Life is full of inconsistencies. John Howard has announced the guvmint will provide financial support to the family of the dead miner. The day before that announcement some workers died in an explosives factory fire in Port Pirie - no mention of help for their families or the other Australians who die in work related accidents each year.

No political bonus points for annoucing a support pakage for the Port Pirie guys - the whole world was not watching that outcome.
Canon EOS 350D Tamron 18-200mm
Just what do you think you're doing Dave?
suzanneg

Postby Killakoala on Wed May 10, 2006 9:55 pm

Fortunately i was overseas and missed the media circus. :)

Good on the guys for surviving their ordeal. Milk the networks mateys.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gleff on Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Channel 9 is into gutter journalism so it doesn't surprise me that Eddie went down there. Not there to get the story.. my arse. We all know that's exactly why he went down there.

Just look at the reports in the past week that a channel 9 journo tried to bribe rescue teams to take a camera down the hole.

If that's not gutter journalism, I don't know what is.

I also initially thought it was pretty slimey when David Koch got into the ambulance, but now that he's explained his actions, it doesn't sound so bad.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed.. I hate channel 9.

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed May 10, 2006 10:42 pm

Personally, I can't wait for Survivor: Beaconsfield!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Greg B on Thu May 11, 2006 9:20 am

I have a very strong dislike of the way that the media handles news and manipulates stories. There are some exceptions of course.

But
- 7 & 9 current affairs programs - disgraceful dross
- The Herald Sun Melbourne - filthy rag
- the entire Fox network - beneath contempt
- No Idea, Women's Day et al - outright liars
are just examples or the shitty end of the media stick.

However, they have partners in crime - the people who consume this drivel allow it to perpetuate and flourish.

I don't know whether to just hate the media or be ashamed of the people who absorb and accept the lies and distortions.

On the other end of the scale, watch Jim Lehrer's Newshour on SBS. This is consistently an example of fine journalism.

I don't blame Eddy in particular or anyone else, the system is the fault and frankly they wouldn't last five minutes if they didn't play the evil game.

As for Sophie, that is the most heartbreaking story imaginable. Poor little kid.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Paul on Thu May 11, 2006 9:54 am

Greg B wrote:On the other end of the scale, watch Jim Lehrer's Newshour on SBS. This is consistently an example of fine journalism.

An excellant program with great topics! :D

Mediawatch is another of my favoured shows, keeps the dross of 7 & 9 in check :wink:
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby obzelite on Thu May 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Paul wrote:
Mediawatch is another of my favoured shows, keeps the dross of 7 & 9 in check :wink:

dont know if they keep them in check, but at least they expose the lies.
Dosent seem to stop making up crap for the following week.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby gstark on Thu May 11, 2006 1:58 pm

obzelite wrote:
Paul wrote:

dont know if they keep them in check, but at least they expose the lies.
Dosent seem to stop making up crap for the following week.

And what's the likelihood of the audience that Medawatch attracts being the sort of audience that watches the dross of 7 & 9 ?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Thu May 11, 2006 2:28 pm

Gary, I watch Media Watch AND I watch commerical TV, but I avoid shows like Affair Tonight and 45 Minutes.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby obzelite on Thu May 11, 2006 4:27 pm

stubbsy wrote:Gary, I watch Media Watch AND I watch commerical TV, but I avoid shows like Affair Tonight and 45 Minutes.

today tonight is a bad version of rock bottom, the simpsons ripoff of hard copy.
I only watch a current affair when i'm in the imagine tracey with portia de rossi mood.

normal tv is better watched via bittorrent.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu May 11, 2006 9:59 pm

It is interesting to read the comments on the medias performance. Despite the apparent dislike for what they do it seems that many continue to watch and listen to the drivel in sufficient quantity to prompt comment on their performance.
If it is no good - switch off. No one is forcing you to watch or listen to crap
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu May 11, 2006 10:03 pm

SteveGriffin wrote:It is interesting to read the comments on the medias performance. Despite the apparent dislike for what they do it seems that many continue to watch and listen to the drivel in sufficient quantity to prompt comment on their performance.
If it is no good - switch off. No one is forcing you to watch or listen to crap

Fair point Steve!

But I defy anyone to have avoided the Beaconsfield coverage on FTA TV during the last week. Unless of course their TV is really just an unusual piece of furniture. :)
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby katie on Thu May 11, 2006 10:24 pm

MHD wrote:

Actually, the figure I read earlier this week was that in 2004, more than 6000 miners in China died in mining accidents. It's a massive problem there.

(I'm a business researcher in my day job, I research this stuff for a living, heh... any industry in China the firm thinks they can make money out of; and no, they weren't too interested in that figure, either *sigh*)

There was also an interesting point made in the opinion column by Alan Attwood in The Age, today or yesterday, which I hadn't considered before... he was talking about chequebook journalism and the fact it's not a new thing, referring to Burke & Wills expedition survivor John King in 1861, who was offered a thousand pounds for his story... sounds like an interesting story in itself...

KA
katie

Postby Suri on Thu May 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Yeah Katie.
Which paper was Stanley working for on his expeditions in search of Livingstone??
D300, D200, (D70 - now with daughter) and heaps of Nikon stuff.
http://www.pbase.com/steven_hight
Suri

Postby sirhc55 on Thu May 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Greg B wrote:I have a very strong dislike of the way that the media handles news and manipulates stories. There are some exceptions of course.

But
- 7 & 9 current affairs programs - disgraceful dross
- The Herald Sun Melbourne - filthy rag
- the entire Fox network - beneath contempt
- No Idea, Women's Day et al - outright liars
are just examples or the shitty end of the media stick.

The only way to make a judgement is to watch or read. If a judgement is then made, and one discontinues to watch or read, further discourse becomes irrelevant.

I have personally seen both the good and the ugly from every single type of media outlet, without exception :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Greg B on Fri May 12, 2006 8:54 am

sirhc55 wrote:The only way to make a judgement is to watch or read. If a judgement is then made, and one discontinues to watch or read, further discourse becomes irrelevant.

I have personally seen both the good and the ugly from every single type of media outlet, without exception :roll:

True to some degree Chris, but I don't watch, for example, the news in order to make a judgment on the quality of the news. I watch to get the news. If something is consistently bad, I don't believe it is necessary to keep consuming it to maintain an up to date view of it's crappiness.

I agree that every type of media outlet has good and bad, but there is a huge difference between, for example, Today Tonight which might have five minutes of decent content per month, to another program which drops the ball on a rare occasion.

I guarantee that it is not necessary to read New Idea every week to know that next week's edition will be a heap of shite.
Last edited by Greg B on Fri May 12, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Heath Bennett on Fri May 12, 2006 9:09 am

Great thread. Sometimes if you watch the television you wonder if the world has gone mad. This thread shows the integrity of this forum - even if all this talk won't change anything on any kind of scale. Still there is the saying that Hollywood loves - 'If I can even reach one person, it was worth it'. :lol:
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby Heath Bennett on Fri May 12, 2006 9:12 am

stubbsy wrote:Gary, I watch Media Watch AND I watch commerical TV, but I avoid shows like Affair Tonight and 45 Minutes.

For a media class we were given the assignment of watching all of the major networks news bulletins in one night. SBS and ABC make the commercial networks look shallow and in essence 'salespeople' of the news.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby gstark on Fri May 12, 2006 9:51 am

Heath Bennett wrote:

For a media class we were given the assignment of watching all of the major networks news bulletins in one night. SBS and ABC make the commercial networks look shallow and in essence 'salespeople' of the news.

Heath, with all due respect, the commercial networks did not "look" shallow. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion