DOF Calculator

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

DOF Calculator

Postby petermmc on Sat May 13, 2006 1:58 pm

I was playing with the new VR 70-200 last night (before the Status Quo Deep Purple Concert in the Gong) and was intrigued by how sharp this thing is. So sharp that it really shows up shallow depth of field on portraits with people at lower f stops. I did a bit of searching and found this on line Depth of Field Calculator and thought members might find it useful from time to time.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

You actually put in the camera you have so that it makes adjustments for Digital SLR's & Film SLR's in regard to focal lenght and other techo stuff.

Regards

Peter Mc PS at the concert no one had a real camera but there were lots of mobile phones held up taking photos. :D
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Suri on Sat May 13, 2006 9:49 pm

A handy site.
Might have to print out a dozen options for reference in the field.
Guess there must be a formula?
D300, D200, (D70 - now with daughter) and heaps of Nikon stuff.
http://www.pbase.com/steven_hight
Suri

Postby big pix on Sun May 14, 2006 12:24 am

Your depth of field will change every time you focus on a different point using the same lens and F stop.......

focus on things further away will give you better depth of field than focus on things that are close, using the same lens and F stop .......if you remember this while out shooting, you will get lots more pix's, than sitting down with a slide rule and pencil to work out your depth of field before shooting and your subject has left..........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Steffen on Sun May 14, 2006 4:11 am

big pix wrote:if you remember this while out shooting, you will get lots more pix's, than sitting down with a slide rule and pencil to work out your depth of field before shooting and your subject has left..........

Especially since DOF is based on a rather arbitrary assumption, which can prove too strict or too loose for certain applications.

For normal use, the DOF scales on lenses were a good guide. Alas, they're becoming legacy, just like the aperture ring, and the single focal (prime) lens...

Cheers
Steffen.
Steffen

Postby birddog114 on Sun May 14, 2006 7:17 am

Suri wrote:A handy site.

Won't help!
Shoot and learn on the move is the way how to achieve your goal.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby big pix on Sun May 14, 2006 9:55 am

birddog114 wrote:

Won't help!

.... Birddog that is one of the best pieces of advice I have seen on this forum.........

forget the books, they will be there when you get home from a day out shooting, and understanding your equiptment........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Suri on Sun May 14, 2006 11:05 am

birddog114 wrote:

Won't help!

Thanks for the advice.
I guess if I had put some smilie faces somewhere in this comment the sarcasm of the remark might have been more obvious.

The nature of photography has always required a technical appreciation of the tools used to create an image, and it can be easy to become obsessed with the reasons why they work.

Best not to be seen thumbing the instruction manual in front of a paying customer.

Besides I searched the chart, and couldn't find the hyperfocal distance for a D100 in an underwater bell with a -0.4 dioptre close up correction.
Not funny - I have a colleague who plans to jump into my swimming pool to test this very rig.

Can anyone assist??
D300, D200, (D70 - now with daughter) and heaps of Nikon stuff.
http://www.pbase.com/steven_hight
Suri

Postby DanielA on Sun May 14, 2006 12:38 pm

Suri wrote:Besides I searched the chart, and couldn't find the hyperfocal distance for a D100 in an underwater bell with a -0.4 dioptre close up correction.
Not funny - I have a colleague who plans to jump into my swimming pool to test this very rig.

Julian's Lens Calculator might be able to do that. It doesn't list the -0.4 diopter, but you can probably just add it in to the combined power field. Maybe you can ask for it to be added. It seems to do everything else.

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby MattC on Sun May 14, 2006 8:54 pm

Suri, Yes there is a formula. You can pull it out of this spreadsheet if you want to.

http://www.pixspot.com/albums/userpics/ ... ulator.xls

Cheers
MattC

Return to General Discussion