Stupid Person Of The Year Is Taro Taylor!!

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Stupid Person Of The Year Is Taro Taylor!!

Postby tarotastic on Mon May 15, 2006 2:14 pm

I've been away from Sydney for a while, but I'm now back and looking forward to going on some shoot ups with you guys. However.... I've been incredibly stupid.

Unwittingly, I got a little cooking oil in my Giotto Air rocket when I left it in the kitchen. When I went to clean my CCD this morning I completely forgot about that and after taking some pictures with my camera I've got noise like NEVER before. it looks like dust all over the place, but I suspect it is tiny bits of oil. When I blow the Giotto on some glass I can see tiny grease marks!!

Would ethanol get rid of that oil? Is it possible to get oil off a CCD. Have I truly screwed up my camera?!! Any advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by tarotastic on Mon May 15, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D70S
tarotastic

Postby Sheila Smart on Mon May 15, 2006 2:18 pm

I would give ethanol a go (or Eclipse which I use) plus a PecPad.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby gstark on Mon May 15, 2006 2:22 pm

Whoooo boy!

I'd try Eclipse. It can't really make anything worse.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon May 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Welcome back Taro, wowsa! That's one sticky / oily sensor, yuck! I hope you can get in clean with numerous wet cleans just don't overdo the eclipse either!
Alpha_7

Postby losfp on Mon May 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Obviously they're breeding like... dust bunnies :)
losfp

Postby avkomp on Mon May 15, 2006 2:34 pm

I would expect the alcohol to disolve the oil.
ouch.
hope you get it right

sTeve
check out my image gallery @
http://photography.avkomp.com/gallery3
avkomp

Postby Sheila Smart on Mon May 15, 2006 4:21 pm

It looks exactly like what happened when I used a blower brush on my 5D(with no oil!) when I was in New Zealand. I did not have my Eclipse with me to clean my lenses so had to use the blower. It looks like dust to me, not oil. If it were oil, I am sure you would see the film around it. It took me several attempts when I returned home with Eclipse and a SensorSwipe plus PecPad but eventually it came clean. I did wonder if it was ever going to become clean again.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby moggy on Mon May 15, 2006 4:26 pm

Air Rocket in the kitchen? what where you using it to baste a roast? Damn, those Giott0s are versatile! :lol:

8) Bob.

moggy

Postby Alex on Mon May 15, 2006 4:32 pm

In case eclipse doesn't do it, you should try hexane or any other very pure hydrocarbon solvent. Hexane dissolves oil well.

Alex
Alex

Re: Stupid Person Of The Year Is Taro Taylor!!

Postby petal666 on Mon May 15, 2006 4:34 pm

tarotastic wrote:Unwittingly, I got a little cooking oil in my Giotto Air rocket when I left it in the kitchen.
How did this manage to happen 'unwittingly'?
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby MattC on Mon May 15, 2006 4:40 pm

Dish detergent and hot water will also do the job. Most detergents, except the really cheap and really expensive "enviornmentally friendly" brands are excellent degreasers.

I used exactly that to clean mine recently. Different problem though. Mine was blowing what appeared to be tiny specs of black rubber. I pulled the ends off and gave it a thorough wash and very thorough rinse. No more rubber and no residues.

Cheers PS I cannot see how oil would have made it into the blower.
MattC

Postby stubbsy on Mon May 15, 2006 5:50 pm

MattC wrote:Dish detergent and hot water will also do the job. Most detergents, except the really cheap and really expensive "enviornmentally friendly" brands are excellent degreasers.

I used exactly that to clean mine recently. Different problem though. Mine was blowing what appeared to be tiny specs of black rubber. I pulled the ends off and gave it a thorough wash and very thorough rinse. No more rubber and no residues.

Cheers PS I cannot see how oil would have made it into the blower.

MATT just for the "don't try this at home people" This cleaning method is for the Giotto blower, not the sensor.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby MattC on Mon May 15, 2006 5:52 pm

:oops: :shock: :D :twisted: Thanks for the clarification Stubbsy.

Cheers
MattC

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon May 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Shit. My sensor's gotten all bubbly. :lol:
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby MattC on Mon May 15, 2006 7:09 pm

I was tempted to add something about the type of person who would actually try that on a sensor....

Leigh? You? Naaah! Surely not! :)

There was a guy who used toilet paper on his D70 sensor over on DPR last week. After seeing an image of what the sensor was seeing, my first thought was whether or not the toilet paper had been used for other purposes.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=18316830

Some people take the cake!

Cheers :)
MattC

Postby mark on Mon May 15, 2006 7:58 pm

MattC wrote:There was a guy who used toilet paper on his D70 sensor over on DPR last week. After seeing an image of what the sensor was seeing, my first thought was whether or not the toilet paper had been used for other purposes.

Some people take the cake!

And here I was thinking I was a dickhead for getting a grain of beach sand on mine.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mark

Postby Michael on Mon May 15, 2006 8:05 pm

I use tiny amounts of compressed air so I'll never have this problem unless I shake the can up before hand or tip it upside down. :D

bad luck taro
Last edited by Michael on Mon May 15, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby gstark on Mon May 15, 2006 8:08 pm

Michael wrote:I ise tiny amounts of compressed air so I'll never have this problem unless I shake the can up before hand or tip it upside down. :D

Michael,

I hope that you're kidding here, and that you don't use any form of canned/compressed air on the sensor.

If you do, you run the risk of getting the propellant onto your sensor. That is generally regarded as not being a good thing.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Michael on Mon May 15, 2006 8:26 pm

Nope not kidding, done it a million times never gotten anything on the sensor I'll probly invest in a rocket blower one of these days though to stop the grief people give me for using a can of compressed air.

no matter how many times I tell them the lengths I go to ensure that no propellant makes its way to the sensor.
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby drifter on Mon May 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Is the Eclipse solution readily available ? My sensor needs a clean but i haven't got the gear to do it yet . Is there a shop in Sydney that sells it ?
Tony

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
drifter

Postby MattC on Mon May 15, 2006 9:09 pm

Drifter, I think that you can get it through the merchandise section on this site.

Michael, I won't hold the canned air against you. :) You are obviously aware of the potential for problems. Maybe, no good for n00bs though.

Cheers
MattC

Postby big pix on Mon May 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby tarotastic on Tue May 16, 2006 11:50 am

Thanks everyone for all your advice!!! I was totally freaked out yesterday that I'd killed my camera for good!! I decided to take the wussy expensive option and went down to Maxwells and handed over my $56 for a CCD clean!! After an hour they had it all cleaned up and spotless!! Thanks once again for all the support!!
D70S
tarotastic

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue May 16, 2006 11:52 am

Glad to hear it survived and is clean again, that is great news Taro, so... where are the pics huh ? Surely you have some new ones to post ?
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Tue May 16, 2006 11:55 am

Michael wrote:Nope not kidding, done it a million times never gotten anything on the sensor I'll probly invest in a rocket blower one of these days though to stop the grief people give me for using a can of compressed air.

no matter how many times I tell them the lengths I go to ensure that no propellant makes its way to the sensor.

Michael,

I'd put that down to good luck, rather than good management. You are playing with fire here, and you know this. The problem is that despite whatever steps you think you're taking to minimise the potential for proellant to escape, it's somtheing that's beyond your control.

Given the minimal cost of a Giotto, why are you delaying this purchase?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Tue May 16, 2006 11:57 am

drifter wrote:Is the Eclipse solution readily available ? My sensor needs a clean but i haven't got the gear to do it yet . Is there a shop in Sydney that sells it ?

Slider,

The short answer is no; nobody in Sydney sells it.

But I have a far better suggestion: Get thyself to the next minimeet - weekend after next - and bring a small bottle with you. Apart from enjoying the benefits of being at a minimeet, you'll be able to fill the bottle with ethanol for free.

Problem solved.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Tue May 16, 2006 11:58 am

Taro,

Sounds like a good result.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Sheila Smart on Tue May 16, 2006 1:03 pm

drifter wrote:Is the Eclipse solution readily available ? My sensor needs a clean but i haven't got the gear to do it yet . Is there a shop in Sydney that sells it ?

I buy my Eclipse from Nulab in Melbourne http://www.nulab.com.au - just email them and they will send you a bottle (order two while you are at it). The last time I bought some it was $22 a bottle but has probably gone up. I bought my SensorSwipe and PecPads from Copperhill in the US at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill Eclipse cannot be sent by air because of its high combustability.

Someone told me awhile back that the Eclipse bottles no longer come with PecPads but I cannot authenticate this. Its a tad nerve wracking when you first clean your sensor but after awhile its a doddle.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby johnd on Tue May 16, 2006 1:13 pm

tarotastic wrote:Thanks everyone for all your advice!!! I was totally freaked out yesterday that I'd killed my camera for good!! I decided to take the wussy expensive option and went down to Maxwells and handed over my $56 for a CCD clean!! After an hour they had it all cleaned up and spotless!! Thanks once again for all the support!!

For an out of towner like me, where is Maxwells? If it's in the city area I might drop in and get them to clean my CCD while I'm in Sydney Friday afternoon.

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby Glen on Tue May 16, 2006 2:03 pm

John, they are at Lidcombe, which is next to the Homebush Olympic precinct. It is half an hour by car from the city, probably $30 each way in a taxi. It is 5-10 minutes walk to the Olympic stadiums.
Glen

Postby Michael on Tue May 16, 2006 2:28 pm

gstark wrote:
Michael wrote:Nope not kidding, done it a million times never gotten anything on the sensor I'll probly invest in a rocket blower one of these days though to stop the grief people give me for using a can of compressed air.

Michael,

I'd put that down to good luck, rather than good management. You are playing with fire here, and you know this. The problem is that despite whatever steps you think you're taking to minimise the potential for proellant to escape, it's somtheing that's beyond your control.

Given the minimal cost of a Giotto, why are you delaying this purchase?

Well I do have cert 1 In fire management and public safety from the QFRS so I would assume i'm well equiped to play with fire :P

jokes aside how much are the giottos air thingys (rocket blower) and where do I get them?

Edit: my spelling is atrocious at the moment.
Last edited by Michael on Tue May 16, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby NikonUser on Tue May 16, 2006 2:29 pm

Send birdy an email :)

Got mine a week ago from him for $17 (If I remember correctly)

Paul
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby johnd on Tue May 16, 2006 5:27 pm

Glen wrote:John, they are at Lidcombe, which is next to the Homebush Olympic precinct. It is half an hour by car from the city, probably $30 each way in a taxi. It is 5-10 minutes walk to the Olympic stadiums.

Thanks Glen. If there is time I'll try to get there, however seeing it's out of the city I might have to give it a miss as I don't want to impact my photo gathering time in Sydney.

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
johnd

Postby Glen on Tue May 16, 2006 5:32 pm

John, I would rate Sydney Harbour as many more chances for postcard shots than the stadium :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 16, 2006 5:39 pm

johnd wrote:
Glen wrote:John, they are at Lidcombe, which is next to the Homebush Olympic precinct. It is half an hour by car from the city, probably $30 each way in a taxi. It is 5-10 minutes walk to the Olympic stadiums.

Thanks Glen. If there is time I'll try to get there, however seeing it's out of the city I might have to give it a miss as I don't want to impact my photo gathering time in Sydney.

Cheers
John

Where Trieu's office is, just about 5 min. to Maxwell at Lidcombe.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby losfp on Tue May 16, 2006 5:52 pm

qualitycamera.com.au has tons of DSLR cleaning bits & pieces like the pec pads, eclipse solution etc.. a bit pricey, but no more so than anywhere else I've found. I might get one of the cleaning packs myself. I know you can get cheaper workarounds, but IMO it's probably worth it to get "the good stuff" to keep your sensor in shape.

The process is dead simple too, had a quick lesson in sensor wiping at a recent mni-meet at Birdy's (thanks Trent (MCWB)!)
losfp

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 16, 2006 7:20 pm

Actually, you only need to buy Pec Pad, pure ethanol is free supply from the mini meet with your own container.

Members in QLD can get it from Manta, if Manta runs out, give me a yell, I'll send a "full tanker" up for him.

That's! once you have two main above items + Giottos Air Rocket, then your choice of doing it in your own time, of course with a good nice Red beside.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby johnd on Tue May 16, 2006 8:29 pm

birddog114 wrote:
johnd wrote:

Cheers
John

Where Trieu's office is, just about 5 min. to Maxwell at Lidcombe.

Thanks Birddog. I think I need to go to Trieu's office Friday afternoon for a meeting. :wink:
johnd

Postby Michael on Tue May 16, 2006 8:32 pm

Birdy, could I possibly ask how one would obtain a rocket blower off of you?
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Michael wrote:Birdy, could I possibly ask how one would obtain a rocket blower off of you?

You didn't ask last time when you ordered your D200.

Simple!
If any member in your area has an order, I can set it up on the launch pad and fire it off to you with their order to save you shipping, otherwise it'll cost $6.60 + $17.00 for the rocket.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby losfp on Tue May 16, 2006 10:29 pm

birddog114 wrote:Actually, you only need to buy Pec Pad, pure ethanol is free supply from the mini meet with your own container.

Sounds like I'm coming to the mini meet with a good 'ol bottle for some ethanol action :)

What do you improvisers use for a wiping stick thing? Obviously you would have to get something that is the right size for your sensor?
losfp

Postby Glen on Tue May 16, 2006 11:45 pm

Des, just make sure you buy pec pads and then wrap them around something smaller than your sensor eg something like a plastic paddle pop stick. You must use pec pads as they are lint and dust free. See above story about toilet paper
Glen

Postby MattC on Wed May 17, 2006 6:38 am

Des,

My first swipe was made from one of those rubber tipped kitchen spatulas that are available from the supermarket. I cut it down using a very sharp blade. The width should be 14mm and there needs to be a bit of length for some flexibility. The tip needs to be dead straight so that it sits evenly across the sensor. If you want to make your own then have a look at the copperhill site on pbase and use his as a guide.

Cheers
MattC

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 17, 2006 7:09 am

losfp wrote:
birddog114 wrote:Actually, you only need to buy Pec Pad, pure ethanol is free supply from the mini meet with your own container.

Sounds like I'm coming to the mini meet with a good 'ol bottle for some ethanol action :)

What do you improvisers use for a wiping stick thing? Obviously you would have to get something that is the right size for your sensor?

Des,
Last time you were here, Technik got the fluid.
You were spoiled with the new toys and forgot the rest.
Back to classroom for another tutorial. :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to General Discussion