Digital Foci: Picture Porter Elite

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Digital Foci: Picture Porter Elite

Postby Paul on Sun May 21, 2006 1:06 pm

Here's another tasty contender to the Epson P2000/4000, looks very nice with a 3.6" LCD screen which will show JPEG, TIFF, BMP and RAW files from all the major DSLR brands.
It also plays MEPG1, MPEG4, MJPEG & WMV video files and MP3, WMA, AAC & WAV music files.
It uses a removable Lithium-Ion battery which "should" allow for 4 hours of continuous video and about 12 hours of continuous music play.

Prices aren't cheap as you would expect, U$499 for the PPE-360 40Gb & U$599 for the PPE-360 80Gb

My only concern is with the price of flash cards these days, why bother having these units..
But if you need something to view your files whilst away on trips then this certainly gives Epson a good run for there money.

Whether it brings down the costs of these units due to heathly compitition is something I'm not going to hold my breath on! :wink:

http://www.digitalfoci.com/picture_porter_elite.html
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby spada on Sun May 21, 2006 1:38 pm

It's only advantage is small and can view picture files, but with that price I 'd rather get a cheap note book that is not much $AUD more and ability to edit picture file and the aid of internet in privacy on the move ( ie night at the hotel ), I've seen some cheap 2.8GHz Celery with 14" TFT screen for just under $900 new , and view picture at 1024 *768 ( or 1280*1024) is much more comportable than view with 4" at VGA res.It just my personal opinion, some one else might have a diferent POV.

Regards
Spada
spada

Postby gstark on Sun May 21, 2006 1:50 pm

spada wrote:with that price I 'd rather get a cheap note book that is not much $AUD more and ability to edit picture file

While I think that going down the laptop route is a better solution than any PSD that I've seen to date, be wary of the lower powered units because, in terms of editing capacity, they're probably not exactly going to be sparkling performers.

By all means, bump your RAM to its maximum, but a lower powered unit still may not have the raw horsepower to do high speed editing.

Be aware of the limitations.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion