Holidays in Broken Hill

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Holidays in Broken Hill

Postby Jeff on Sat May 20, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi Guys

Finally decided on a holiday venue,Broken Hill.
We will be going in July and will be driving from Sydney. I am after suggestions on photo opportunites to and from Broken Hill and of course around the area. This forum is such a wealth of information I am sure you will know all the spots.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff

Postby glamy on Sat May 20, 2006 8:51 pm

You should not miss Silverton (famous for its pub) and nearby Mundimundi(?). Last time I went there I was filming so I did not relly look hard. Silverton Creek is nice. Thera are plenty of opportunity on the road to photograph the wildlife. I am going back in August so I am also interested in some tips...
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby sheepie on Sat May 20, 2006 9:37 pm

Having just been there a few weeks ago, memory is fresh ;)

Delprats Mine is a must-see (2 hours underground is a real eye-opener to what it used to be like down there!)...
Image Image

And the afore-mentioned Silverton Pub...
Image Image

More here: http://www.sheepie.smugmug.com/gallery/1122579
Last edited by sheepie on Mon May 22, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby radar on Sat May 20, 2006 11:04 pm

Hi Jeff,

I haven't been yet, but one place I would like to get to is Mungo Nat park. I don't think it is too far from Broken Hill?? 316km, literally next door ;-)

NSW Nat Parks wrote:Mungo National Park

Lookouts & photographs

Photographic opportunities come to life with the rising or setting sun and a little imagination. The best time of year for photography is winter when the air is crisp and extremely clear.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Marty on Sun May 21, 2006 12:01 am

Looks like the locals aren't Volvo drivers judging by the last photo. :wink:
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby Dug on Sun May 21, 2006 1:32 am

Don't miss the sculpture gardens on the hill. Sunrise and sunset are the best times for photos but go up and check it out first.

It is a little bit of a hike so take good walking shoes and extra water!
Dug

Broken Hill

Postby Rick on Sun May 21, 2006 8:33 am

Jeff,

You can't go wrong for photo opportunities in Broken Hill, apart from the places mentioned above like Silverton, where Mad Max movies made, and the Sculpture garden a trip to Menindee Lakes is a good idea for sunset shots and bird life, but be alert for wild life on the roads early mornings and evenings.
There are plenty of interesting buildings in and around the city as well as parks, gardens and galleries, sunset photos over the Mundi Mundi plain should be good to, on a good day it seems like you can see to the Indian Ocean.
Last time we were there we came home via Mutawintji Nat Prk & White Cliffs we where stayed overnight in an underground B&B (PJ'S I think) well worth the detoure plenty of good photo opportunites there and on the way back to Willcania, this trip might depend on road conditions and what you are driving.

Have a good holiday

Cheers Rick
Rick

Postby macka on Sun May 21, 2006 10:02 am

I second menindee lakes - very cool, eerie sort of place - but watch out for the stinging nettles!

You could also check out Pro Hart's painted cars. I can't remember exactly where they are, I think somewhere in Broken Hill.

We also stayed at White Cliffs on our way and it was worth the 11 hour drive on dirt road to get there. Stayed in an underground motel, which was great fun as I was only a kid back then.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby Jeff on Mon May 22, 2006 6:21 am

Thank you all for information.The trip is in July and so we have plenty of time to get organised.
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff

Postby Ree on Mon May 22, 2006 10:24 am

The inferomation center/ resturtant on top of the old mine in town is a nice spot for sunset pic's. "God chair" A massive park chair is up there.

If you are going to Mungo (which is a bit of a drive from BH) go on a sunset tour! (they last most of the afternoon as they take you all over the place) The dunes change colours bout six times, then once the sun goes down the moon shots are just as great.

Have been to both places and are both worth seeing.
Cheers REE :shock:

"If you have time to spare ... go by AIR!"
Ree

Return to General Discussion