Ring Flash

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Ring Flash

Postby wendellt on Tue May 23, 2006 2:07 pm

On one of my outings i snapped up this guy and an innovative contraption he made up.
it's a ring flash custom mounted on a canon body
on closer inspection it looked like he made the ring part out of a saucepan
and covered the thing with perspex

i never managed to chat further to him about it he was very protective of his invention

but the next day another guy made a sqaure shaped ring flash thing out of cardboard twice the size which was quite funny, proably to mock this guy or perhaps it does have a purpose

I never saw the work produced from it either

what do you think the result would have looked like?

wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby LOZ on Tue May 23, 2006 3:07 pm

Looking at #2 I think it is just a big ash tray ??
LOZ

Postby Glen on Tue May 23, 2006 4:04 pm

Wendell, I am guessing here, but maybe it is the broken camera theory. His saucepan camera is unusual and big, so people will look at it, therefore he gets the image. Maybe we should try and knock you up one made out of a steel garbage bin? :lol:

I like the perspex idea, you could write notes on it like 'Hi Elle', etc.
Glen

Postby wendellt on Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Glen wrote:Wendell, I am guessing here, but maybe it is the broken camera theory. His saucepan camera is unusual and big, so people will look at it, therefore he gets the image. Maybe we should try and knock you up one made out of a steel garbage bin? :lol:

I like the perspex idea, you could write notes on it like 'Hi Elle', etc.

true Glen, i like the garbage bin idea and the note thing. This image was taken at Fashion Week
the day after another well known fashion photographer copied this guy and made a mockup square shaped flash ring out of cardboard it looked really stupid but he stood out and all the models took notice and performed

as usually i had my sb800 on remote cord and did the sundial thing so i stoiod out too
wendellt

Postby radar on Tue May 23, 2006 5:09 pm

I suspect he was trying a variation on this:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... flash.html

Fashion photography
Relatively powerful ring lights, delivering from 40 to 200 watt-seconds or more, are occasionally used in fashion photography for special-effect lighting. Ring lighting works well with some kinds of clothing, such as spandex. The frontal illumination can highlight threads in the material. However, you'll get little modeling on your model's face. You may want to accentuate the face makeup, to compensate for this.

Red-eye is another likely problem when photographing people with ring lights. Red-eye is more evident if the existing-light level is low, so that the pupils of your subject’s eyes are large. Have the subject turn his or her eyes slightly away from the camera lens to reduce the chances of getting red-eye. Then again, a few pops of a decent-sized ring light will shrink the subject’s pupils pretty quickly. When shooting portraits, you can also handhold a ring light off-camera, just like any other flash. The results are similar those you would get with any regular diffused off-camera flash unit.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Glen on Tue May 23, 2006 7:14 pm

Andre, well done. I think you are right except he forgot the flash part :wink:

After further research I found out the frypan flash is the poor brother of the wok flash Wendell. I can get you one for $200.

Wokflash shown with 70-200 VR

Remember, image is everything, substance is meaningless :wink:
Last edited by Glen on Tue May 23, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen

Postby radar on Tue May 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Glen,

actually, looking at the second image, you will see that he has a flash shoved in the side of it :shock:

So it likely lights with the flash, may have some reflective material inside his contraption. Certainly give him an A for inventiveness or he just was too cheap to buy one. Saw some after a bit of searching, around $1200USD :o :o

André :lol: :lol:
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Glen on Tue May 23, 2006 7:52 pm

Stand corrected Andre, I saw that and thought it was placed there but it works. Would be very diffuse. For $1200 I would cut up my old frypan or wok :wink:
Glen

Postby radar on Tue May 23, 2006 8:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby jdear on Wed May 24, 2006 11:16 am

ffftt why make it yourself when you can buy an elinchrom ring flash 3000 - http://www.adorama.com/EL20500.html for $1500 USD ex battery pack??

:lol:

J
jdear

Postby wendellt on Wed May 24, 2006 11:32 am

glen i applaud your ingenuity
that's one piece of tasty hardware

in time i will gro to appreciate it and perhaps buy it off you
wendellt

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 24, 2006 11:37 am

wendellt wrote:glen i applaud your ingenuity
that's one piece of tasty hardware

in time i will gro to appreciate it and perhaps buy it off you

Wendell,
Check your mum's kitchen at home, maybe she has few of them laying around and they're FOC.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Return to General Discussion