A Big(ger) welcome to any member that didn't get a welcoming

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A Big(ger) welcome to any member that didn't get a welcoming

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:05 am

If you didn't get a welcoming and you're not sure that you want to post something, since everyone else is getting a welcoming lately, this is your welcome mat.
*Sweeps the cobwebs off of it and puts a key beneath it.*

Don't ask me where that key goes.
I have no idea.

Welcome everybody!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Re: A Big(ger) welcome to any member that didn't get a welco

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:17 am

Nnnnsic wrote:Don't ask me where that key goes.

Check the chastity belt.

I have no idea.

I have no comment. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:00 am

Hello to all members of the forum - I know there's 60 odd of you, and only about a dozen post regularly. Do you want me to shame you out one by one? ;)
Onyx

Can't shame me

Postby bago100 on Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:52 pm

Onyx wrote:Hello to all members of the forum - I know there's 60 odd of you, and only about a dozen post regularly. Do you want me to shame you out one by one? ;)

Hi Guys and gals

I'm probably the only one on this board that doesn't yet own a D70 - but I have posted a few times especially about how good MHD's early photos are. Don't forget also, you all know about the Sydney foreshore authority's commercial photography requirement as well. So, I'm immune from shames :D

Now here's another rant for you to ponder over!

Have you ever wondered how some global camera manufacturers have taken advantage of global marketing and internet product distribution of information etc and yet how they uniquely avoid international warranty issues by stating that they will not honour warranty claims for cameras purchased outside Australia?

Is this good enough? Why should a camera sold in Australia be given a 12 month warranty coverage, whilst the same camera, sold in say, Hong Kong be excluded from warranty service in Australia?

Are the cameras different? No. Are the buyers different? No. Do camera companies save money by offering local point of sale warranties only. Of course they do.

Frankly, in my opinion, given the global marketplace that we now have, there should be laws in Australia that say to International companies, something to the effect, that if you sell your product in Australia and overseas, you support your product no matter where the place of purchase may be.

Get stuck into your local Federal pollie about this one folks. Everytime you go shopping on the Internet, International manufacturers are ripping you off by protecting themselves, and profiting handsomely by excluding foreign purchase warranty claims.

Bah and humbug to them!

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:04 pm

Graham,

This type of warranty applied all over the world, five continents.
No warranty to all grey import digicams or digital products, these applied to all brand name.

Luckily, the grey import conventional products like lenses, flashes, SLR cameras etc...with International warranty will be honoured here in this Down Under but not in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia.

People buy conventional products from overseas, they found that they won't get any help or support in North America + Europe. Even people is begging to repair their grey import gears and agreed to pay the premium for fixing/ repair, Canon, Nikon in North America won't do it.

The only difference we have here is :

-1 years warranty and in North America is five years with the returning of registration card.

- People can order/ buy and use all the product for certain period and return them without any penalty if we don't like it or products does not suit your style or change your mind etc...this does not apply here in Australia.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:48 pm

Actually Graham, I don't own a D70... and I'm an admin!
Nnnnsic

Postby bago100 on Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:31 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Actually Graham, I don't own a D70... and I'm an admin!

Thank goodness, I used the word "probably" :D

Nnnnsic - are you planning to get a D70 one day?

Also Birddog - thank you for your international warranty comments.

We now live in a global marketplace, and companies wishing to do business in a global marketplace must have global marketplace friendly policies to support consumers.

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:09 am

No... I plan to get a D2x one day. :P
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:46 am

bago100 wrote:Nnnnsic - are you planning to get a D70 one day?

He just borrows mine ...

And bleats loudly when I don't let him use it. ;)

But Graham, you've raised some very valid points, and I agree with you completely.

Given that Maxwells won't honour an international warranty on a camera, you have to feel sorry for the legitimate US tourist who comes here, has his camera fail, and then has Maxwell refuse to honour his international warranty.

But if they do happen to honour it, then they're guilty of practicing discrimination against those who might choose to buy the camera in the US but live here.

I think it's a short sighted, mean spirited and utterly unprofessional approach
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:45 am

I knew one exceptional case:

One of the USAF pilot was stationed at Williamtown/ Newscattle, got his crappy D100 from the States, sent to Maxwell at first, Maxwell returned to him with the explanation, then he drove down to Sydney met the Chief Of Maxwell, showed his proof of purchase and explain to him his situation. Finnaly, Maxwell accepted it but took nearly one month for the D100 returning to him. Better than nothing, huh!!!

The above case won't apply to Nikon USA!!!! My Brother in Laws works for Boeing in Seatlle, got the D100 in Australia before he left Australia (A gift from his former employer), it stucked after few months in the US, Nikon USA won't bother talk to him nor giving him any advise and was very rude. Finally he had to send it back to me and I dropped it off to Maxwell.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:53 am

That is not just very bad, but damn untenable.

I would suggest that your brother in law has a case against Maxwells for misleading marketing. If the camera comes with an international warranty, and they actively market it as such, they should be supporting this, not denigrating it.

I had a Casio PPC - purchased in Florida - fail on me here in Sydney. The model wasn't available here, and the local importers tried to pull a similar stunt on me. I let them know exactly what I thought about that, and they replaced the unit within a week, needing to import one from Japan.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Information