Teleconverters for 80-200 D ED

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Teleconverters for 80-200 D ED

Postby anubis on Thu May 26, 2005 8:01 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is a Teleconverter that will work with the above lens in AF mode (not manual) and does not compromise sharpness too much?

Is there such a gem?
anubis

Postby Onyx on Sun May 29, 2005 9:34 am

I have the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300DG 1.4x, and find it VERY slow to AF with that lens. It works fine - mates with the lens and relays appropriate aperture and exposure readings to the camera, however the speed of the body driven focusing makes it very very sluggish.

Image sharpness not noticeably degraded unless you're a trained pixel peeper.
Onyx

Postby BBJ on Sun May 29, 2005 10:36 am

I agree with Chi, i think if you are shooting something still it would be ok but if you thinking about action i wouldn't, i like the Kenko for tha fact that Nikon tc's wont go on the 80-400 but Kenko works fine for static or slow moving.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby anubis on Sun May 29, 2005 12:16 pm

Hi guys thanks for the replies, just wondering if you guys have tried converters with higher magnifications and what the results were?
anubis

Postby robboh on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:17 am

anubis wrote:Hi guys thanks for the replies, just wondering if you guys have tried converters with higher magnifications and what the results were?

Have a look at this post
http://www.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=6093
Was taken with a 80-200 f2.8 2-touch with an older Kenko 7 element 2 x TC. Ive got some test shots of text at home. If I can sort out which were TC and which werent, will post some crops at some stage.
Smile; it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
robboh

Postby anubis on Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi there robbah, the photo looks good, looking forward to seeing more.... how much was your Kenko TC?
anubis

Postby robboh on Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:03 pm

Thanks. TC was about $300 Kiwi IIRC.

Ok, Im pretty sure that this shot was with the 2x TC on the 80-200, at a zoom of about 90mm. I took it the day I got the TC and so was playing :)

The first is the full pic, with a very light sharpen after down-sizing (250/0.2/0). The crops are UNSHARPENED. I turned off the sharpen altogether in NC before importing into Photoshop to resize. Other than a bump of colour saturation to 'enhanced' and an auto-levels in PS, there has been NO PP.

Astro the Malamute (my girl Ayla's best mate)

Astro's Eye @ 100%

Astro's Nose/Whiskers @ 100%
robboh

Postby anubis on Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:24 pm

Fantastic robboh, perhaps a little soft at the extremes but you've convinced me on the Kenko
anubis

Postby robboh on Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:48 pm

This was also a very shallow DOF IIRC, so probably not the best photo as an example :)
Im certainly happy with mine. Its not AS good as the lens by itself, but its certainly not bad when coupled with a good lens. Better a slightly lower quality than no shot at all IMHO.
robboh

Return to Information