Carry on luggage

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Carry on luggage

Postby big pix on Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:54 am

On my recent quick trip to Singapore flying with the national carrier, when checking in I was asked to weigh my hand luggage, which contained my D70s & kit lens D70 body 12-24, laptop, ipod and spare batteries and some personal things, weight of this bag was 9.3k, without a please, the check-in staff said 'quote' "you will have to remove 2 k from that bag", I asked if I could carry my laptop as a separate item and was told 'yes'. I removed the laptop in its own bag and the weight of the carry on came down to 6.8. All was now OK, I did notice that the weighing of hand luggage was bit selective, and I had noticed that other passengers appeared to have much heaver and bigger carry on bags than my small cabin bag which is below airline requirements.

Return flight from Singapore, after check-in, passport control, and entering the waiting lounge, an announcement was made that only one piece of hand luggage was allowed and must not weigh more than 7k or it had to go on board as baggage. There were lots of people with more than 1 bag some with 3 bags some with with small bags on wheels. A lot of people with carry on baggage had trouble lifting said baggage into overhead lockers. There does not seem to be any continuity with the way airlines handle overweight carry-on baggage

Depends on who you get when checking-in, and I have been advised that you can have a Camera and a computer as separate items along with your carry on, yet to try this approach........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Ivanerrol on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:23 am

Inconsistencies are the norm when air travelling.

My tip for travelling to Asia is to fly SQ or Philippines Airlines. They seem to have a bit more leeway with baggage.

There can be up to 14 or more air fare structures on an airline ticket. Who you buy the ticket from and how much you pay can dictate where you sit on the plane.

I always carry a laptop bag + a holdall with my photo gear. All auxilliaries - chargers, spare batteries or anything less breakable packed in the check in luggage. You air ticket fine print will mention that you should hand carry all delicate or breakable items. The airlines don't like complaints about damaged goods in your checkin luggage. - it costs them time for handling complaints.
I recently mistakenly packed 10 rolls of Provia in the checkin luggage. It obviously passed through the high powered Xray equipment in the customs hall. - A good argument for going all digital.

My pet gripes with air travel

- The 20 Kg checkin baggage limit goes back to the days of propeller planes. A modern intercontinental jet virtually cannot be overloaded with just passengers and their baggage. - Ancient IATA laws.
- Australian Airports - the worst service in the Asia and the OECD world. Why is it that it takes half an hour to check in and up to two hours to get out of an arrival in Australian airports whilst in Singapore the walk from the plane to the immigation desk takes longer than the airport immigration and customs proceedure?
Ivanerrol

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:30 am

Ivanerrol wrote:Why is it that it takes half an hour to check in and up to two hours to get out of an arrival in Australian airports whilst in Singapore the walk from the plane to the immigation desk takes longer than the airport immigration and customs proceedure?

The Australian Public (absence of) Service is structured around inefficencies and bureaucratic bullshit and empire building. and led by, of course, little Honest Johnnie, beaming like a Cheshire cat yesterday at the AWB enquiry.

His performance there - and that's what it was, a performance - sickend me to the core.

But getting back to the point, our publice servants are not focussed on service or efficiencies, or in fact enything that even remotely resembles any sort of commitment towards excellence. Obfuscation and roadblocking is the nature of the game.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:54 am

Everytime I leave Adelaide Airport to go interstate with my photography equipment I get called aside by secuirty, and they go through everything. Have not had a cavity search yet, nor I am looking forward to that either. When I leave from Sydney and Melbourne simply walk through the scanners and collect my gear at the other end without a problem. Then I simply walk off shaking my head. Where is the consistency :!:
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:00 pm

I like having carry-on luggage limits.

On a recent visit to the States, I found that in the main, airlines don't care about how much or what sort of carry-on luggage comes aboard. Bit of a surprise, really, after 9/11.

But what happens is that people bring full-sized suitcases on board (I kid you not!) and rush to the front of the queue to get as much of the overhead space as they can.

I saw one father & son team who were seated at the back of the plane ignore the call for "seats in rows 1 - 14", were first in the queue, clamber on board, pack their multiple carry on luggage in the front of the plane and then sit down the back.

The attendants are either too meek to say anything or don't care. :evil:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Ivanerrol on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:36 pm

A Customer service officer in Australia for many ways is code for Company apprentice Hitler, or lack of service to customer. This applies to Public Service as well as private companies.

I don't mind a carry on bag limit. The size limiters at every airport checkin are the right size. However you can pack a lot of weight into a bag that fits in that limit.

The carry on bag restriction is for safety purposes and is not purely anti-terrorism related. Try to get out of a planes emergencies exit when there is baggage strewn all around the cabin.

I lived and worked in Third world countries for 12 years. There was a period where I had fly a least three to four times a week within these countries. I wish P&S digcams had been invented then - just to record the flying experiences.
Ivanerrol

Postby Ree on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:16 pm

I fly international about 2-3 times every yr. I also fly around Auss (for work) every few months. So far (knock on wood) I have had not one problem. I Normally have my laptop AND hand bag as a carry on. Now I just have my laptop and camera gear.

Bout half of the time (for international flights that is) my check in lug is ALWAYS over my weight limit and not once have I been asked to take something out or to pay extra.

Flutter the eyes and look sad... it works for me :twisted: :D :roll:

I have another female friend who shoots guns in comps all around australia and she checks in with her shotgun faster than I do!
Cheers REE :shock:

"If you have time to spare ... go by AIR!"
Ree

Postby johndec on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:36 pm

gstark wrote:The Australian Public (absence of) Service is structured around inefficencies and bureaucratic bullshit and empire building. and led by, of course, little Honest Johnnie, beaming like a Cheshire cat yesterday at the AWB enquiry.

His performance there - and that's what it was, a performance - sickend me to the core.

I thought this was quite apt. :shock:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby digitor on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:36 pm

fozzie wrote:Everytime I leave Adelaide Airport to go interstate with my photography equipment I get called aside by secuirty, and they go through everything. Have not had a cavity search yet, nor I am looking forward to that either. When I leave from Sydney and Melbourne simply walk through the scanners and collect my gear at the other end without a problem. Then I simply walk off shaking my head. Where is the consistency :!:

Fozzie, this is because (as yet) your reputation has not spread beyond your home state.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Heath Bennett on Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Just hope the check in person is a woman (EDIT- so you can turn on the charm) OR put your carry on behind the counter where they cant see it, and then walk off with it not turning back.

I've been getting away with a 16kg Dakine pack and a 6kg Laptop bag for ages.

As far as check in, on Tuesday we had 75kg between 2 people - seven bags - far too much shopping. There are tricks for everything :lol: :lol: :lol:
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby SteveGriffin on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:34 pm

Gents you should be aware that there are several AQIS & Customs airport staff that are frequent contributors to these forums and a little diplomacy may be in order.

The cabin baggage limit is not a hangover from the days of propellor planes either it is a serious operational requirement. Particularly on the long haul routes like the LA -> Australia direct and Australia -> Africa direct routes even the long range 747-400's do not usually have sufficient fuel at takeoff to get right through to the destination with statuatory reserves. The routine procedure is to nominate a point enroute where a decision is consciously made as to whether the planned destination can in fact be reached or whether the flight needs to divert to a alternate aerodrome.

Most of the newer model jets have weight sensors in the landing gear and the aeroplane simply won't go overloaded. If 300+ pax all decide to take loads of carry on bags it can add up to tonnes of extra weight and usually means delays as cargo is offloaded or in the long haul case insufficient fuel may be available to get you right through without a stop. Having the bags checked means that the amount of freight loaded can be determined much earlier preflight.
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby big pix on Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:06 pm

When one flys OS, are we flying in a passenger jet or a freight transporter :?:
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby robw25 on Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:06 pm

[/quote]Fozzie, this is because (as yet) your reputation has not spread beyond your home state.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers[/quote]

i thought it was cause he's a shady lookin bastard !

cheers rob
robw25

Postby DionM on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:29 am

I think I mentioned this new policy of weighing carry on last year when it happened to me and many others. I travel regularly for work and experience it all the time. So now stuff like my laptop gets checked. What to do? My company gives me a laptop that weighs a tonne. I think it is a good policy though - less flying missiles in the hold. And if less people took less rubbish onto the plane, security check lines would be quicker too.

Regarding the 20kg weight limit - all I can say, you can pay more. Or become a frequent flyer. With my Gold (soon to be Platinum) membership I get 10kgs extra on international, and one whole 32kg bag extra on domestic.

Can't say I've ever had problems with immigration/customs. Always been prompt and efficient.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:13 pm

Update of this topic in todays SMH
Glen

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:24 pm

Quoting a CASA spokesperson, the article says

That's because if a flight encounters turbulence, or has an accident, serious damage can result from cabin baggage hurtling through the cabin."

I would think that if the aircraft is having an accident, carry-on luggage would be the last thing one is concerned about.

AFAIC, the issue is very simple. Unless the carrier is able accept their responsibility and guarantee the safe transportation of your goods to your destination, then they need to be prepared to accept the fact that people will be reluctant to part with those items upon boarding.

Given Quaint-arse's recent efforts in this realm, I'm not expecting to fly Air-Sony anytime soon. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Heath Bennett on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:11 pm

gstark wrote:
Unless the carrier is able accept their responsibility and guarantee the safe transportation of your goods to your destination, then they need to be prepared to accept the fact that people will be reluctant to part with those items upon boarding.

Right on.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby moz on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:32 pm

gstark wrote:Unless the carrier is able accept their responsibility and guarantee the safe transportation of your goods to your destination, then they need to be prepared to accept the fact that people will be reluctant to part with those items upon boarding.

You don't see a contradiction between those two? Perhaps we need a third (forth?) class cabin for "people who want to put too much into the overhead lockers", so all those who'd rather injure people than risk losing their gear can only put each other at risk? You'd probably end up with dive tanks in those lockers...

Suggest you prioritise your gear and fill the legitimate bag with most important bits first. What I do is then add a handbag-sized backpack with other stuff in it that I'm prepared to check in if I need to. That way I can get my food out of it (carried in my hand) and hand it over if I have to. Only had to do that when flying cheapskate air to tassie so far - it zips to my main pack so it didn't cost any extra.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:01 pm

moz wrote:
gstark wrote:Unless the carrier is able accept their responsibility and guarantee the safe transportation of your goods to your destination, then they need to be prepared to accept the fact that people will be reluctant to part with those items upon boarding.

You don't see a contradiction between those two?

No, not at all.

I will generally travel with a few easily relocatable, somewhat small, but relatively high value and fragile items. I often have many other things in my luggage, but the critical components are ... critical.

A laptop, a DSLR body plus two or three lenses can easily add to something like $15000, not including the IP maintained on the laptop. Add that, and you could easily come to a couple of hundred thousand dollars in value.

Lose any of that, and it's not just the money: if I'm travelling to speak at a conference, the loss of the laptop - and its IP content - would be more than merely critical. While backups are certainly essential, If I'm flying straight into DFW and teaching there tomorrow morning, I can't afford to be screwed around because the airline, with its wonderous and highly secure baggage loading procedures <gag> has lost my laptop.

Hell, a couple of years ago they couldn't open the hold when we landed as LAX, and I missed not just my connection to Orlando, but every single possible connection to the east coast until about 11 that night (some 14 hours) because of the way that flights across the US are scheduled.

And I won't mention the time that I flew to Milan while my luggage enjoyed two nights in Paris.

Want to convince me that my luggage is secure in the hold? Go ahead, make my day. :)

None of the stuff I carry is individually heavy stuff, but the airlines flatly refuse to (a) consistantly apply any rules pertaining to what I can or cannot take on board, and (b) accept any sort of responsibility for carrying it.

Try two or three days in Milan, no luggage, you don't speak a lot of the local language, and even if you did, you've lost your voice ... so unless I'm returning home, my carry on now always includes a change of clothes or two.

I have no problems with the carriers not accepting the responsibility, but when they take that inaction, they must be prepared to permit me to manage the security of my property myself.

That is surely not a difficult concept to grasp.

Unless you're an airline or an airline employee, it would seem.

Suggest you prioritise your gear and fill the legitimate bag with most important bits first. What I do is then add a handbag-sized backpack with other stuff in it that I'm prepared to check in if I need to.

Already doing that. The only stuff that I take on board is what is too valuable to lose because of the arilines' incompetence, or because it's essential that I have it with me, like my meds.

Plus, as noted above, a change of clothes and some basic toiletries.

My point is that even pared down, the combined weight may still be above the ever restrictive and reducing allowances that they so generously<gag> give us (who's paying for the bloody flight anyway?) and that there is never, ever, any consitant application of the .... well, they're clearly not rules, more of a "what the hell do I feel like allowing on the plane today" or "did I have good sex this morning" based decision making process.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby moz on Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 pm

gstark wrote:I have no problems with the carriers not accepting the responsibility, but when they take that inaction, they must be prepared to permit me to manage the security of my property myself.

They already do - there is no rule preventing you using alternate shipping arrangements, and those are readily available. I have a couple of friends who generally fly business class for exactly the same reasons as you do - extra carry-on allowance and I have to say that if you're regularly exceeding those limits I think it's time to make the hard call and leave one of the big lenses at home :)

If you're complaining that you don't want to pay for the extra carry-on, you just want it thrown in with the cheap ticket, I think you fail to understand the system. Luggage limits are there so that the airlines can budget the plane, in both financial and physical senses. Allowing everyone mroe carry will affect both plane weight and loading time (as all those people cram junk in the lockers and under their seats).

Sometimes when the staff have a bee in their bonnets it's because the plane is stuffed with holidaymakers (who usually have more, heavier luggage) and will be struggling to make takeoff weight. If you want easy trips, go with the business flights - I've checked in all sorts of junk at 5am Monday and had no problems (bar the 32kg per item one), and for carry-on those are usually pretty laid back too. I prefer to fly then because I usually have big luggage (bike) and the passengers are normally more organised and quieter. BTW, I've never worked for an airline or been a pilot, I just read widely.
moz

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:09 pm

moz wrote: I think you fail to understand the system.

There's a system?

When did that happen? There is absolutely no evidence of this in any of SYD, MEL, OOL, LAX, DFW, SFO, IAH, ORD, LGW, FRA, MXP, CDG, aiports, and quite a few others whose codes I can't recall at them moment.

I see, hear of, and have experienced so many different interpretations of the rules, that quite frankly, I'm convinced it's a "II'll let on what I fuckin' well want to today" ruleset, imposed by a bunch of powerdrunk partygowers with a Hitler complex.

The so-called rules seem to change not just from airport to airport, but from gate to gate within the one facility, and from person to person within the one carrier. Rules? No in our lifetimes, I'm afraid.

Luggage limits are there so that the airlines can budget the plane,

Yep. So they tell us.

And salespeople also tell us all manner of things. I believe none of 'em; they have about as much credibility as ... name a politician. :)

{quote]Allowing everyone mroe carry will affect both plane weight and loading time (as all those people cram junk in the lockers and under their seats).[/quote]

On the last few trans-Pacific flights I've made - all in cattle class - I've actually been pleasantly surprised to see thatmost people are carrying less.

Sometimes when the staff have a bee in their bonnets it's because

Oh that this were the case. Hardly seems likely when you're amongst the first to check-in at the plane's starting point though.

If you want easy trips, go with the business flights

I'm of the opinion that cattle class is overpriced for what you get: I have a lot of issues with the pricing regime that airlines set, and the multiude of fares that might be applicable for a flight.

I'm basically a simple guy, and I'm of the opinion that a fare from point A to to point B should be $X. It should not be $x, or $Y, or $Z, depending upon whom you know, whom you slept with, whether youy're booking today or tomorrow (hurry, we're running out of these fares!).

Cut the marketing BS, and just sell the bloody tickets, ferchristssake!

BTW, I've never worked for an airline or been a pilot, I just read widely.

I've just travelled widely. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby big pix on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:15 pm

...... do we now talk about the good ?? and bad airline food or start another thread......
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby moz on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:21 pm

big pix wrote:...... do we now talk about the good ?? and bad airline food

I dunno, I rarely find myself forced to eat it. I ask for vegetarian anyway, and if it's OK I'll eat it but I always BYO. Sometimes it's a joke, other times I've been pleasantly surprised. More usually the former, but that's my experience of most mass feeding exercises anyway.
moz

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:21 pm

That makes some sense, but I have a mate who is a pilot with Qantas. He told me that when he was first officer and had to work the fuel out, on the SYD LAX run they had to allow 10% more fuel to allow for the greater weight of the average American to the average Aussie. If that is the case we should all be allowed 10% extra when returning from Bangkok, as the average Thai is lighter than the average Aussie
Glen

Postby Dug on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:36 pm

Heath Bennett wrote:Just hope the check in person is a woman (EDIT- so you can turn on the charm) OR put your carry on behind the counter where they cant see it, and then walk off with it not turning back.

I've been getting away with a 16kg Dakine pack and a 6kg Laptop bag for ages.

As far as check in, on Tuesday we had 75kg between 2 people - seven bags - far too much shopping. There are tricks for everything :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the truth! Keep the bag out of site and never look like your bag is heavy and if possible leave it with someone else while you check in.

I regularly travel with a 15 to 20KG Lowpro Commercial AW bag.

Only once have I been questioned I just smiled my nicest friendly determined smile and said "if the cameras go in the hold so do I" and walked off.

the queue was miles long and no one was going to argue the point.
Dug

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:39 pm

Glen wrote:

That makes some sense, but I have a mate who is a pilot with Qantas. He told me that when he was first officer and had to work the fuel out, on the SYD LAX run they had to allow 10% more fuel to allow for the greater weight of the average American to the average Aussie. If that is the case we should all be allowed 10% extra when returning from Bangkok, as the average Thai is lighter than the average Aussie

Glen,

Excellent point.

And it's simply a logical extension of that concept that there can, and should, be more generous baggage limits for short haul journeys. The fact is that on trans Pacific flights the limits are more generous than anywhere else, and the shortest haul flights - within Oz - they're the pissiest.

So it basically confirms that baggage limits, like marketing statements, are a load of utter crap.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby LostDingo on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:41 pm

Glen wrote:That makes some sense, but I have a mate who is a pilot with Qantas. He told me that when he was first officer and had to work the fuel out, on the SYD LAX run they had to allow 10% more fuel to allow for the greater weight of the average American to the average Aussie. If that is the case we should all be allowed 10% extra when returning from Bangkok, as the average Thai is lighter than the average Aussie

10% larger eh, hmmmm......I really need to loose more weight, I'm a good 30% unfortunately :evil:
LostDingo

Postby Dug on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:51 pm

LostDingo wrote:
Glen wrote:That makes some sense, but I have a mate who is a pilot with Qantas. He told me that when he was first officer and had to work the fuel out, on the SYD LAX run they had to allow 10% more fuel to allow for the greater weight of the average American to the average Aussie. If that is the case we should all be allowed 10% extra when returning from Bangkok, as the average Thai is lighter than the average Aussie

10% larger eh, hmmmm......I really need to loose more weight, I'm a good 30% unfortunately :evil:

I object to being told I have 5kg too much luggage and then having to sit next to someone who weighs 50kg more than me :(

I usually put my camera bag under the seat in front of me.

it is much safer than overhead lockers in case of turbulence.

Re airline food you remember the air-crash in the Andes mountains where passengers turned to cannibalism to survive? They had to eat the other passengers, the only other alternative was to eat the airline food :roll:
Dug

Postby thaddeus on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:39 pm

Southwest has a fat passenger policy which requires them under certain circumstances to purchase a ticket for the neighbouring seat. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05072/470035.stm I weigh 85kg, so I'd love a ticketing arrangement which is based on a fixed amount plus the combined weight of myself and whatever luggage I have!

gstark wrote:I would think that if the aircraft is having an accident, carry-on luggage would be the last thing one is concerned about.

Well you should be, because it's one of the key things that you as a passenger can do to improve your odds of not being injured. There's a good list of reasons why on the ATSB website, plus first-hand descriptions of evacuations in the Flight Safety Magazine section on the CASA website.

Sadly the introduction of low-cost airfares and increases in safety have led to air travel being treated as safe as jumping on a bus. It's not: the laws of physics still apply. Additionally, the increase in air travel has bred armchair experts who think that they since they got away with it last time, it must be fine. And it probably will be, but as more and more people slip in more and more carry-on luggage, the safety margins get thinner and thinner, increasing the risk of an accident.
thaddeus

Postby moz on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:47 pm

gstark wrote:should be more generous baggage limits for short haul journeys.

Flown to NZ lately? I've only once had trouble there, and that was because the nice man ahead of me just *knew* that swearing at the check-in lady was the way to get his dive tanks on the plane without paying extra. Being the next in the queue with a 30kg bike box is never going to work in that situation. Last time I went I had a recumbent bike and no box... so the nice lady gave me a roll of "if we break it, it's your fault" tape and then escorted me out the back so I could supervise the luggage handlers putting it in a container. That was a ~10am flight, even. Coming back, same deal but even less explaining, I was in the queue when I got handed the tape :)
moz

Postby Dug on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:59 pm

First rule NEVER BE IN A HURRY!

Always allow enough time to get checked in and security

Then double it.

Being late annoys people having plenty of time when they are buys can solve many problems.

Stay calm be polite never raise your voice or be abusive in any way but be firm and ask for someone who may be able to assist you.

It is amazing what people will do to help you when you are nice to them.

On small commuter aircraft I have personally loaded and unloaded my camera bag from the hold.

I have no problem with that.
Dug

Postby Zeeke on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:04 pm

Rule 3... Never let me on a plane... ive never been on one and I dont want to be the cause of a plane flying lopsided

Tim :lol:
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby DionM on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:29 pm

Mmm ... flying. A favourite past time.

If you have so much equipment that is important, fly biz class. That gets you the better carry-on allowances.

If you fly cattle class, pare it down. You only need your laptop, not the adapters, mouse etc etc. You can easily fit laptop, body and 2 lenses into the 7kg allowance.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:25 am

Thaddeus, thanks for the link, never even knew there was Hooters Air :lol:
Glen

Postby marc on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:02 pm

DionM wrote: Or become a frequent flyer. With my Gold (soon to be Platinum) membership

:roll: :roll: :roll:
D4|D3S|D700+MB-D10| 14-24 |24-70|70-200 f/2.8 VRII|70-200 f/4 VR|80-400 AF-S|500VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC's 1.4,1.7E & 2.0III|SB 900
marc

Postby Finch on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:23 pm

SteveGriffin wrote:Gents you should be aware that there are several AQIS & Customs airport staff that are frequent contributors to these forums and a little diplomacy may be in order.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Finch

Postby Dug on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:40 pm

Zeeke wrote:Rule 3... Never let me on a plane... ive never been on one and I dont want to be the cause of a plane flying lopsided

Tim :lol:

tim you are backing me up on the next aerial shoot I do :shock:

No time to be worried about it you will be too busy shooting out the open doorway.
Dug

Postby marc on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:47 pm

Finch wrote:
SteveGriffin wrote:Gents you should be aware that there are several AQIS & Customs airport staff that are frequent contributors to these forums and a little diplomacy may be in order.

Bingo :wink:
D4|D3S|D700+MB-D10| 14-24 |24-70|70-200 f/2.8 VRII|70-200 f/4 VR|80-400 AF-S|500VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC's 1.4,1.7E & 2.0III|SB 900
marc

Postby Zeeke on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Better get ur insurance updated then :lol:

Nah... looking forward to it...

Tim
p.s. Appreciate the oppertunity
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby Ree on Mon May 01, 2006 12:33 pm

Just returned from Singapore on "suck"air opps sorry I meant Gulf air.

Had no problems with checking in my hubby had my D70s and bits/bobs plus also our vid cam in one carry on bag (9kgs) and I had my laptop for my carry on bay (8kgs).

We always get there just as the checkin counter in opening (2 1/2 hrs) and are normally in the 1st 10 or so people checking in...

Get there before the masses, the check in staff are in better moods.

Got good window seats to boot AND for both ways!!!!

Ree

Postby Glen on Mon May 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Ree wrote:Had no problems with checking in my hubby

What happens if you do? Put him in the hold? :lol:
Glen

Postby Ree on Tue May 02, 2006 10:16 am

Ree wrote:

Had no problems with checking in my hubby

What happens if you do? Put him in the hold?

:lol: :lol: :lol: MMMMMmm that would mean I would have to go over my 20kg limit, so in that case I would have to leave him behind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ree

Postby Big Red on Mon May 08, 2006 12:16 am

this friday i am flying to melbourne ...
will my backpac style bag be allowed on as hand luggage ?
its a ProAm brand
[probably the same size as the trekker AW]
Big Red

Postby fozzie on Mon May 08, 2006 6:57 am

Big Red - I have recently travelled between Adelaide and Sydney and vice versa with the 'Lowepro MiniTrekker AW' backpack as hand luggage and did not have a problem. Carrier was Virgin Blue. Be prepared for security to pull you aside and request opening of your backpack for examination and scanning.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpac ... er_AW.aspx

Big Red wrote:this friday i am flying to melbourne ...
will my backpac style bag be allowed on as hand luggage ?
its a ProAm brand
[probably the same size as the trekker AW]
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Return to General Discussion