Photo permit for Vic Rail ?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Photo permit for Vic Rail ?

Postby Dug on Tue May 02, 2006 7:18 pm

Take a look at this you are supposed to have a permit to photograph Victorian Rail infrastructure. What the hell do they think they are going to stop with this?

http://www.connexmelbourne.com.au/help_film/index.asp

WHAT A LOT OF RUBBISH!

goodness me I would love to see them make this stand up in court. What are they expecting? terrorists to be standing on the platform with a camera and tripod taking light meter readings?

If I was in victoria I would be out and have an exhibition if "Illegal" railway photos.

cheers doug
Dug

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 02, 2006 7:23 pm

New version of banned photography at railway stations and copycat from the US & UK. Go to Steamfest and shoot till you drop.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Tue May 02, 2006 7:45 pm

Connex wrote:This creates a situation in which the photographer has to interact with our staff (in addition to the requirement that he or she 'sign-on' when arriving at the station).

This could be very useful - you can never find a connex person if you need to aske a question or complain about yet another stuff-up with the trains. So... just whip out a camera. Then say - only joking, there isn't any film in it! Ho ho. By the way, where the *&^$% is my goddam train?
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Re: Photo permit for Vic Rail ?

Postby DaveB on Tue May 02, 2006 7:46 pm

Dug wrote:Take a look at this you are supposed to have a permit to photograph Victorian Rail infrastructure.
Actually, from the information they've published you don't need a permit to photograph "Victorian Rail infrastructure". You need a permit to photograph when you are on Connex property at certain stations. Not quite the same thing, although obviously the most interesting images may end up being from their property.
They can't restrict what you photograph from public property.
It might end up interesting to see some legal advice on the definition of public property in this context though, as Connex seem to be including "publicly accessible property" (e.g. car parks and thoroughfares) in their definition of what's affected by the permits.

At least the permit doesn't involve a cost!
DaveB

Postby Dug on Tue May 02, 2006 8:50 pm

Greg B wrote:
Connex wrote:This creates a situation in which the photographer has to interact with our staff (in addition to the requirement that he or she 'sign-on' when arriving at the station).

This could be very useful - you can never find a connex person if you need to aske a question or complain about yet another stuff-up with the trains. So... just whip out a camera. Then say - only joking, there isn't any film in it! Ho ho. By the way, where the *&^$% is my goddam train?

I love this idea I will send it and a toy camera to my son and daughter in law in melbourne Thank you :D
Dug

Postby Dug on Tue May 02, 2006 10:14 pm

feedback link to connex melbourne :-)

http://www.connexmelbourne.com.au/help_ ... /index.asp

This is what I have sent to them I am holding my breath untill they reply..........NOT.

I am puzzled by the rationale behind the issuing of Rail Enthusiasts Permits. I was wondering if there is any evidence of previous photographic reconnaissance carried out prior to any terror attacks on any rail anywhere in the world?

What is the cost of a new permit system? Rail staff already have the right to approach anyone behaving suspiciously and ask for information regarding their actions. Rail staff have the right to call police at anytime they feel the public may be in danger.

If a person does not have a permit and is openly taking photos at a designated location what are staff instructed to do to this person?

I am a photographer and I regularly travel with cameras and equipment it is becoming increasingly common for me to be viewed with suspicion for carrying out my legal right to photograph in public areas for the creation of art.

I find the increasing regulation of photography bordering on harassment of innocent people carrying out innocent and legal activities in public areas.

As I assume all these sensitive areas are covered by effective surveillance cameras and skilled security guards I would appreciate your reconsideration of this permit system as it is only going to inconvenience law abiding people and have no effect on any illegal activity.

yours sincerly Doug Steley
Dug

Postby Killakoala on Wed May 03, 2006 7:15 am

Photography laws are heading the same way as gun laws. Soon we'll need a license to take a camera out in public. (Unless it's a P&S or in a mobile phone)

Laws only affect law-abiding people.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 03, 2006 8:17 am

Killakoala wrote:Photography laws are heading the same way as gun laws. Soon we'll need a license to take a camera out in public. (Unless it's a P&S or in a mobile phone)

Laws only affect law-abiding people.

Yes, it's "License to shoot".
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby katie on Fri May 05, 2006 8:29 pm

hehe... after reading this thread yesterday, was taking the train home from Parliament station that same evening when the announcement came over the PA:

"Please note, there is no photography allowed at this station."

lol coincidence in timing always make me grin...
katie

Postby Dug on Fri May 05, 2006 8:36 pm

I have had no reply as yet.

I would suggest anyone else interested email or call and start asking questions.
Dug

Postby nito on Sat May 06, 2006 9:48 am

Dont you know, there is a terrorist in all of us. :roll:
nito

Postby Dug on Sat May 06, 2006 10:52 am

one mans freedom fighter is another's terrorist.

America was formed by armed and violent revolt against the legal government of the day.
Dug

Return to General Discussion