Bags (yes, again)

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Bags (yes, again)

Postby DionM on Thu May 04, 2006 10:20 am

Why are camera bags so hard to buy. :? :lol:

I am currently looking for a travel bag. In the past I have used a backpack (Computrekker AW) but it was just too big and cumbersome for extended travel. Out of a car or short trips, it is fine, but multi-day exercises are too much. It was also a pain to change lenses - take the pack off, show the world what is in the pack, etc.

I have been considering the Tamrac Velocity series and the Lowepro Slingshot 200. Both are over-the-shoulder type sling bags.

I've also been looking now at the Crumpler Next Venue.

These are all shoulder bags (at the end of the day the Slingshot and velocity do sit on one shoulder). I was almost ready to order the Slingshot but now I am wondering if because it can only be on one shoulder if it will be a drawback. At least with the messenger style Next Venue I can swap shoulders ...

I have in the past used Lowepro Nova 2 and Nova 4 shoulder bags but never on extended trips ... just wondering if these messenger/sling bags are a bit gentler to carry than the boxy Nova style bags.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby gstark on Thu May 04, 2006 10:31 am

Dion,

I too thought about Tamrack bags a couple of years back.

Then I tried to find some.

So I thought I'd ask the distributor if they knew where I could see some.

Then I looked for something that I could find, and that seemed to be in stock, from distributors who had a clue.

That of course excluded Crumpler, whose website is uglier than the ALP leadership.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby losfp on Thu May 04, 2006 10:42 am

Ahhhh.. the old bag issue. I'm sure I will end up with more camera bags than cameras. Oh wait.. I already do :)

Backpacks - comfy, but a real arse to get gear out of. Best used to transport gear to a specific location, but not suited for dipping into while exploring.

Shoulder Bags - Good gear access, but the load on one shoulder (esp heavier ones) is not good for extended carrying stints. Also, they are generally unsecured, and sway, bump etc.

Sling Bags - Essentially a slightly more comfortable version of the shoulder bag. It is still only over the one shoulder, but is more "secure" than the shoulder bags. IMO the slingshot 200 is still a bit small :(

I am currently experimenting with beltpacks, or a mix & match derivation thereof:

- Lowepro Deluxe Waistbelt
- Lowepro Topload Zoom AW
- Lowepro Sliplock Pouch 60 AW
- Lowepro Lens Case 3

The TLZ fits my D70s with room enough for my Tokina 12-24 or 70-300G attached, both with lenshoods attached. Also has enough space to squeeze in my filter pocket, and a 50/1.8. The Lens Case can fit whichever of the two aforementioned lenses which isn't on the camera (although I deliberately bought a LC slightly bigger to allow for the 80-200/2.8 that I will eventually buy). The Sliplock Pouch will fit the SB-800 plus the 18-70 (or whatever other gear). It's a fair bit of gear, but the deluxe belt makes it quite comfortable to carry around. The only thing is that the TLZ with the camera in it can get a bit cumbersome on the belt. When I picked up the belt from Birdy, he warned me about that, and that I should get a shoulder harness or vest to help with this. I didn't want to get either because it then makes it difficult to swivel the belt around to get at the contents of the TLZ (with the deluxe waistbelt, any connecting bags sit at the back). Happily I think I have found a semi-solution. The TLZ comes with a shoulder strap. If I put this over one shoulder and tighten it just enough, it solves everything. The belt still takes 90% of the weight of the bag, but the shoulder strap essentially "straps" the bag to me, and stops it from flopping around. It is still possilbe to swivel the belt around with the strap over one shoulder.

Looking forward to testing this rig out at the upcoming blue mountains bushwalking meet.

For extended trips, and if I had the space, I'd be inclined to pack my Micro Trekker 200 to carry all the gear in transit, and break out the belt kit for days out walking or whatever.
losfp

Postby byrt_001 on Thu May 04, 2006 11:23 am

losfp: Lowepro Deluxe Waistbelt,i try that one a few years ago as i am a big fan of belt carry bags. unfortunaltly i was not impress as the buccle is made of plastic and if you put a few 3-4 lenses and a body in the belt it comes loose.
i also bought something similar to the off trail2 but has the same buccle made of plastic. and i found it very balky.

now i have a few lowepro pouches that i attach to my own belt.

i have been looking for a belt that is more firm and does not comes loose. i found the http://www.kgear.com/ the kineses belt, but i have not bough one jet, http://www.kgear.com/b/ anyone has tryed the brand?

thanks

christian
check my website>> http://www.6701.sunpixs.com
byrt_001

Postby losfp on Thu May 04, 2006 11:32 am

christian, I don't have any problems with the deluxe belt yet. I will mostly take it bushwalking, so I will be trying to keep it relatively light. If it became an issue, I guess I'd look at replacing the belt buckles, I like the comfort of the belt, and the loops are perfectly sized for the lowepro gear of course.

dion, apologies for dragging your thread off-topic :)
losfp

Postby DionM on Thu May 04, 2006 11:45 am

No dramas, discussion is good. :lol:

I'm not a fan of waist belts as it is just too much mucking around. Esp when flying, you can't easily take them off / store them in the overhead bins etc.

I have to be wary of overloading with too many lenses when I travel. In the past I have travelled with 20D, 17-40, 580EX, 70-200 2.8, 50 1.8 in the computrekker. My 70-200 2.8 is quite heavy and I think that is what tips the weight the wrong way. I would love to take it but I must be practical - if my bag is too heavy, I won't want to take it with me.

I am planning on carrying only 20D, 17-40 and 24-105 when travelling now. I may also add another lens - maybe my 100 macro. But I have to resist wanting to take everything.

Backpacks - too big and cumbersome to change lenses when travelling. I have travelled with my Computrekker to Sweden and WA. WA was fine as we were car based most of the time and it was great for keeping all my gear together and transporting around the airport, but in Sweden it was a two edged sword - great to have all my gear with me, but a pain when walking into shops (big backpack) or changing lenses (have to put it down all the time). The crumpler backpack I have is good, but it is very limited as a camera bag (only has the little bit at the bottom). It was also painful - I would wear the backpack one day, then just carry my little snoot bag the next.

Before I got the backpacks I used shoulder bags - Nova 2 and Nova 4. The 4 is a big ish bag, whilst the 2 is smaller (and practically useless for me now as it does not handle my big L glass at all).

So I'm looking at some alternate shoulder/sling bags which brings me to the Slingshot and the Crumper. The Slingshot I like the concept of, but I think being limited to one shoulder could be a drawback. I am a big guy (2m tall, a little portly) and some backpacks look very dinky on me (and don't fit right). The Computrekker just fits me okay, for example.

The Crumpler appeals as it fits on either shoulder, and seems to have sufficient room without benig OTT. I just hope that since it is not a hybrid like the Slingshot that it won't give me shoulder pains. Though it does look well designed and well padded. The Crumpler also has the advantage of not looking like a camera bag. That is of course irrelevant once you start walking around with a SLR and L glass on your neck - sorta gives the game away.

There is also now the 7kg weight restriction (4kgs on smaller planes) that you have to keep in mind. No matter what, I will never check a lens in my suitcase. So I don't want to face that situation.

So I am leaning towards the Crumpler now, and shooting with my reduced kit.

I'd also like a bag that can hold a few oddments - passport, MP3 player etc. As my camera bag is my main bag when travelling.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby losfp on Thu May 04, 2006 12:05 pm

I guess the idea is to have a separate bag for every occasion :) You're never going to get just one bag that will satisfy all requirements, all the time.

My current solutions:

General transport - Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 backpack. Fits D70s, 3-4 lenses, flash, filters etc. I can JUST fit this into my laptop backpack's main compartment for plane travel, though that starts to push the 7kg limit.

Light rig - TLZ, perhaps with a lens case clipped onto the side. For when I need to occasionally take the bag off and stow it somewhere

Walkaround - Deluxe waistbelt, TLZ, various clip on bits. For when I don't mind having it all strapped to me all the time
losfp

Postby Steffen on Fri May 05, 2006 12:03 am

Slingable shoulder bags (like the Velocity or the Slingshot) are a lot smaller than a normal (straight down) shoulder bag, or a backpack. But they have a big advantage: they are smaller!

I tend to bring everything plus the kitchen sink, maxing out the capacity of the bag I've got. This isn't usually a good thing (unless I'm travelling long distance). I have yet to encounter a day hike were I used more that two or three lenses.

I know, the fright of not having the right lens with you when *that* opportunity comes by can be paralysing during packing of the bag. On the other hand I found it quite therapeutical to not take any bag, but just a camera and one lens. Makes for a much less stressful, more meditative shooting experience.

I'm definitely in need of a *small* bag. I hope the Slingshot 200 AW arrives soon. One body, two lenses and a flash seems just about perfect to me right now. And it won't hurt the single shoulder, either.

Cheers
Steffen.
Steffen

Postby birddog114 on Fri May 05, 2006 7:18 am

Christian, I have and use two versions of the belt and they're perfect, nothing wrong with the plastic buckle. The military now use them a lot in their harnesses even in the flight gears.

Bag? oh bag again? I have to repeat: how many bag does a woman have?
If you can answer this question then it's the answer for yourself. If you get any complaints from other side, then challenge her to put out all her bags and counting yours to compare :lol:

Each bag has a difference use same as suitable for it occassion, purpose and the gear you're going to carry with you in each trip same as your liking or shooting. Nothing compromise.

I don't see having so many bags for your camera or photographic gears is guilty! :lol: I ended up having 7 bags + vests + belts + harnesses, but not always use them all.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby LostDingo on Fri May 05, 2006 7:33 am

byrt_001 wrote:losfp: Lowepro Deluxe Waistbelt,i try that one a few years ago as i am a big fan of belt carry bags. unfortunaltly i was not impress as the buccle is made of plastic and if you put a few 3-4 lenses and a body in the belt it comes loose.
i also bought something similar to the off trail2 but has the same buccle made of plastic. and i found it very balky.

now i have a few lowepro pouches that i attach to my own belt.

i have been looking for a belt that is more firm and does not comes loose. i found the http://www.kgear.com/ the kineses belt, but i have not bough one jet, http://www.kgear.com/b/ anyone has tryed the brand?

thanks

christian

Kinesis does make some great bags, pouches etc but be aware if you buy one piece Kineses the rest of additional will most likely have to be Kineses
LostDingo

Postby byrt_001 on Fri May 05, 2006 11:29 am

hi lost dingo

thanks.

birddog: im not sure if the belt has two versions. the one i tested it was i think 5 years ago. the problem with the buckle was that if i put my 80-200, f5 , flash, 35-70, and a few other things, was that the buckle came loose or undone. but im considereing againg.

thanks

christian
byrt_001

Postby birddog114 on Fri May 05, 2006 12:51 pm

byrt_001 wrote:
birddog: im not sure if the belt has two versions. the one i tested it was i think 5 years ago. the problem with the buckle was that if i put my 80-200, f5 , flash, 35-70, and a few other things, was that the buckle came loose or undone. but im considereing againg.

thanks

christian

How did you mount (hang) your F5, 80-200, flash + 35-70? straight on the belt?
Two versions:
1/ S&F Deluxe Waistbelt
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belts_a ... tbelt.aspx

2/ S&F Light Belt
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belts_a ... _Belt.aspx
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby byrt_001 on Fri May 05, 2006 3:44 pm

hi

with lowepro pouches. the two little outer teeth on the buckle were not strong or did not have that spring to hold into possition. it is a bit dificult to explain.

thanks

christian
byrt_001

Return to General Discussion