VR Query

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

VR Query

Postby Aussie Dave on Thu May 04, 2006 2:26 pm

Hi all
I'm not technically ofay in the complete workings of VR, so this question may sound stupid (and if so, please be gentle).

Would it be possible to have VR in a teleconverter ? I ask this because it seems VR is going in two directions at present. Many lenses are being introduced with VR, such as the new 105 micro, and there are other cameras about where the VR (or similar) is inbuilt into the body.

Trying to merge these two philosophies together, I wondered the plausability of having VR in a teleconverter, whether that be the current TC versions or a new TC version that was compatible with many Nikon lenses (I am talking from a Nikon owner's viewpoint here - but the same could apply for Canon users).

Being able to purchase a teleconverter with inbuilt VR would potentially give users the option to add on VR if and when required (to many lenses) without the need to purchase an entire range of specific VR lenses. I know there would be downsides and it wouldn't be ideal for all users, but I wondered if this is an idea that would interest many photographers ?

It kind of makes sense to have it inbuilt within the body, however for those that don't have that camera type (or their preferred manufacturer seems to be going the other way), a VR add-on would surely be handy.

If anyone is able to shed some light on the practical theory of this, I would be interested to hear what you have to say. This may not be technically possible, in which case this may become the shortest thread in forum history :wink:

And again, if this is a stupid question, please be gentle :oops: :lol:
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Glen on Thu May 04, 2006 3:07 pm

Dave, don't actually know the answer but will take an educated guess. I would imagine it would be possible to incorporate VR in to a TC. In the old days, TC were quite specific, eg there was a 2XTC for use with 100-300mm lenses and another 2XTC for 300+mm. You may notice now that the new TC have warnings about using the TC on some shorter lenses. I think they could probably produce a TC with VR for use with say a 300mm lens. Could they produce a TC for use with all your lenses from 50 to 400mm? I would say no, or not at a reasonable price.
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 04, 2006 3:13 pm

VR on TC?
Yes the TC will be double size than the standard.
VR required the inbuilt motor.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby losfp on Thu May 04, 2006 3:19 pm

I suspect it would be POSSIBLE, however I do not know at what cost - ie: image degradation, loss of light, focus issues etc. Plus of course the size/weight issue. As Birdy mentioned, it will definitely be bigger than a standard TC! :)
losfp

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 04, 2006 3:36 pm

The only D lens with VR is the 80-400VR (Non G), the rest of VR lens is G lenses, Though all Nikon TCs can be used with VR lenses, built-in VR with TC may not required and it'll be very expensive.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gMaster on Fri May 05, 2006 6:23 pm

also the ones with VR built in the camera body is actually moving the sensor around, since there are no lense element to move around in the body. this has a disadvantage of not able to see the VR in action through the view finder when u take the picture.
gMaster

Return to General Discussion