Thinking out loud regarding switching to Canon

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Thinking out loud regarding switching to Canon

Postby padey on Mon May 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just going to think out loud for a bit, see what others think.

I'm travelling to Germany next month and it's dawned on me that i can get a 5D for about $1k off the retail price. Canon are offering $500 cash back, plus I can get the GST back duty free.

This has got me thinking about the FF Canon. I really like WA stuff, but find the 1.5x a little debilitating. Maybe I could get a 5D, 35mm f1.4 and 16-35mm f2.8 and sell off my 12-24mm f4 and 17-55mm f2.8.

My partner uses the 5D, and loves it, but he is more a tele guy. I prefer the WA side.

Any thoughts? I'm just scratching my head of this conundrum ATM.
Andrew

Canon make photocopiers and stick lenses on them....
padey

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon May 08, 2006 4:07 pm

So I guess that means you didn't get the Canon email ;-)

I think this sort of decision will truely be your own, you know your needs and preferences better then we do, so what does your gut tell you ?
Alpha_7

Postby birddog114 on Mon May 08, 2006 4:09 pm

Go for it Andrew if you're looking a good discount in both cash back + GST.
If you're claiming GST for your business on your purchase, then you only get the cash back don't try to get both ( BAS + GST refunds at the airport), again the 5D is not comparable with your D2x, think again.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Mon May 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Andrew, is this in addition to the 3 1DS MK11s? :shock: Would be nice to keep all the glass the same.
Glen

Postby Michael on Mon May 08, 2006 4:22 pm

I'll buy your 17-55 2.8 off of you :)
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby stubbsy on Mon May 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Andrew

The 5D is being compared to the D200 in terms of quality so a lot depends on the glass you have. You have some Nikon glass that would be used with a D200 and would replace with a 5D so the replacement cost should be factored into the "real" 5D price. You should also deduct from that "real" 5D price any benefit you derive by sharing lenses with your partner. Then you have better info to make your decision.

Don't be overly swayed by FF though - remember that a FF image has more edge distortion and vignetting than a DX lens.

If the ONLY reason to switch is WA why not keep what you have and get a wider lens (eg a Sigma or Tokina 10-20) - if it's over $300 (doh!) then you get the GST via the TRS back on it too.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Re: Thinking out loud regarding switching to Canon

Postby myarhidia on Mon May 08, 2006 4:32 pm

padey wrote:
My partner uses the 5D, and loves it, but he is more a tele guy. I prefer the WA side.

That's a bonus in itself. If you switch you have a resourse of glass & other bits to borrow if your partner isn't using them.
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby Sheila Smart on Mon May 08, 2006 4:42 pm

For WA, the Canon 5D is the best. I had my 20D for 18 months and when the 5D appeared, I jumped at it. It does require good glass and that is where your expense starts - if you are coming from Nikon.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby birddog114 on Mon May 08, 2006 5:08 pm

Sheila Smart wrote:For WA, the Canon 5D is the best. I had my 20D for 18 months and when the 5D appeared, I jumped at it. It does require good glass and that is where your expense starts - if you are coming from Nikon.

Cheers
Sheila

Sheila,
This made me stick with Nikon, I had an opportunity to grab a 5D at distributor's price, yes it's about $1500.00 less than the retail price (6 months ago) and only one unit per reseller, called evaluation & demo unit, then I thought about the expensive of the good Canon lenses to go with it, I had my withdrawal sympton.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby radar on Mon May 08, 2006 5:12 pm

Andrew,

are you able to do a side by side comparaison? Given that you would be spending some serious money switching over to Canon, I would imagine that your favourite Canon shop would be willing to lend you a 5D and some good glass.

Does Canon have the equivalent of the NPS - Nikon Professional Service? Would be worth checking them out if they do.
EDIT: the CPS have a pre-purchase product evaluation as part of their services.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

As birddog mentioned, being a business, you would get the GST back anyway on your BAS, so don't let the TRS sway your decision.

Cheers,

André
Last edited by radar on Mon May 08, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby radar on Mon May 08, 2006 5:19 pm

Andrew,

also note that when you take the camera back in Australia, you will be over your passenger concession and you must declare it on the way back and you will liable for GST anyway :-(. Much better if you claim it on your BAS.

See the Customs site:
http://www.customs.gov.au/

and this info sheet:
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... ellers.pdf

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby nito on Mon May 08, 2006 6:54 pm

I read that the 5D really needs good optics. Hence, you will need to invest in a lot of L lenses.

That would be my reason for not switching to it.
nito

Postby mudder on Mon May 08, 2006 7:32 pm

G'day,

I'm in basically the same situation as yourself, in that I'm currently considering purchasing a 5D and a couple of lenses to start with but I'm probably considering the switch for slightly different reasons...

I can get almost the same width with my 1.5 FOV crop Nikon (D70) using the Nikkor 12-24 (which is a lovely piece of glass) as say the Canon 17-40L or the Tamron 17-35), so if you're primarily interested in the WA width then you get basically the same with the smaller APS sensor using your 12-24/F4. And you can go wider with 10-22 lenses too I suppose...

Why do you find the APS sensor size debilitating?

For me, it's the high ISO stuff, the way the 5D handles highlights etc... I had a play with a friend's 5D and playing with the RAW files, well, they were just yummy :)

A FF sensor will always expose the weakest part of the lens as opposed to a cropped sensor only using the so called "sweet spot" but I suppose that depends on how important the edges are to you and what sort of apertures you're using, as vignetting at least seems at larger apertures and I'd be using smaller apertures for landscape stuff anyway so I'm not fussed about that aspect, I tend to add vignetting to most of my landscape stuff anyway...

If your partner also uses Canon then assuming they're EF lenses (as in FF) then I assume you could avoid duplication of lenses but I suppose it depends on the cost of the change and whether you think it's worth it for you...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby padey on Mon May 08, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm going to test out my partners 5D tomorrow, for a few days.

My things to think about.

Thanks guys.
Andrew

padey

Postby padey on Tue May 09, 2006 10:50 am

I was hoping to answer and thank some of you yesterday about some of your thoughts, but was flat out. So here goes...

I spoke to the financial controller/accountant/wife and she also promptly reminded me about BAS and questioned if I should be owning another camera body, when lease/hire purchase is the way to go. She made a few good points, so I'll keep her! ;)

Mudder,
Yeah i totally understand your position regarding Hi ISO. When shooting, i prefer available light. So HI ISO performance would also be a nice gain.

Alpha_7,
My gut tells me I'm going to like FF. I use to own medium format gear, so going from that to 1.5x crop was interesting. But it will come down to cash, as in will it pay for itself.
Andrew

padey

Postby Sheila Smart on Wed May 10, 2006 3:34 pm

Andrew

You may be interested in a post of mine awhile back

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

If you are going down this track with the intention of getting your GST back, I would ensure you get it in writing from Customs. I sent them an email before I left for our trip to NZ and got a specific email back stating that I can claim the $900 allowance (plus another $900 for my husband) less the 20% depreciation when declaring my camera upon our return to Australia two weeks later. When I got to Customs in Sydney Airport after our holiday, the clerk at Customs declaration advised me that as the camera was over the $900 allowance in the first place, then no allowance AT ALL was made. I would have to pay the full duty (less 20% depreciation on the camera). This is when I whipped out the email from Customs. She was rather taken aback and took a photocopy. She backed down and I paid the GST (you are still ahead by the way). That said, I don't think I would bother to declare the next time but I am not sure if they tag you when you claim GST on the way out. BTW, make sure that you get to Customs at the Airport to claim GST at least 30 minutes before the departure. That's another story....

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby jerrysk8 on Thu May 11, 2006 11:24 am

why not get an x-pan. just a suggestion. its on my list.
jerrysk8

Postby padey on Thu May 11, 2006 2:06 pm

jerrysk8 wrote:why not get an x-pan. just a suggestion. its on my list.

Well i once owned one of these cameras. Absolutely fantastic!!! Shame the cost of film (Velvia) lost out in the ROI equation.

Here are a few Xpan shots.

andrew
Andrew

padey

Postby daniel_r on Thu May 11, 2006 2:10 pm

Andrew, they are some sweet images there.

The Xpan (or Xpan II) is on the dream list right after a D2X. I've wanted one for years!
D.
Daniel_R's Flickr gallery
I shoot with Nikon stuff.
daniel_r

Return to General Discussion