Surprising Conversion

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Surprising Conversion

Postby Greg B on Tue May 16, 2006 9:29 am

I was at the football on Saturday (shock #1, I could care less about football. However, had an invitation to the box, lunch, wine, two TVs, more wine) and my brother in law's brother in law was there. He is a very keen Canon man with a lot of really good Canon gear. We generally have a bit of enjoyable Canon/Nikon argy bargy.

So I give him a bit of good natured what for, and he says - actually, I bought a D200 (shock #2) :shock: :shock: :shock:

HOLY CRAP, the dirty bastard, he got one before me and he's a CANON guy!!!! Oh the pain, the pain.

Anyway, he was raving about the D200. Raving. My wife was concerned - maybe you should get one, she says (!!!!)

Apart from that, I noticed that all the footballers run around after the ball like a bunch of eight year olds. Whatever happened to having positions? (I haven't been to the football for several years) And there was a female goal umpire.

On another note, I bought Rosanne a camera for her birthday (She has never been happy with my "cast off" Canon G3 - too big.) So I got her a Canon IXUS 55. It has all the most important photographic equipment qualities, it is cute, small, has a big screen. She absolutely loves it. Got it at Landmark for $399 and also got a 2 gig SD card (yes, 2 gig = equals about 1200 shots on the ixus) for $99!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Oneputt on Tue May 16, 2006 9:36 am

Greg you need to get out more often :lol:
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby PiroStitch on Tue May 16, 2006 9:37 am

Ditto to that :) Also why I don't follow footy anymore :)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Re: Surprising Conversion

Postby sheepie on Tue May 16, 2006 10:16 am

Greg B wrote:I was at the football on Saturday (shock #1, I could care less about football.

There's something wrong with that picture - just can't see you putting the footy jersey on and yelling at the top of your lungs ;)

Greg B wrote:Apart from that, I noticed that all the footballers run around after the ball like a bunch of eight year olds. Whatever happened to having positions? (I haven't been to the football for several years) And there was a female goal umpire.

They were eight year olds - it was half time, you'd missed the rest as you were too busy with the "box, lunch, wine, two TVs, more wine" and D200 ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Glen on Tue May 16, 2006 10:23 am

Greg, so is the bil's bil going to stick with Canon or Nikon?
Glen

Postby gstark on Tue May 16, 2006 11:00 am

What glass did he get for the D200? And why did he get it?

And ... when is your order going in?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Tue May 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Glen wrote:Greg, so is the bil's bil going to stick with Canon or Nikon?

He didn't actually say Glen (the stupid football started and he got distracted). However - and I was quite surprised by this - he seemed to be of the view that there was an appreciable difference in quality between the N & the C (don't want to start anything here, this is just what he said).

He has at least half a dozen Canon lenses plus flashes etc, would be carrying a $15k bag, so any changeover would be a serious contemplation. Although he is a very serious scientific researcher (Aust, USA etc), and I think quite a bit of the Canon gear came gratis.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Tue May 16, 2006 12:35 pm

I assume the quality was the Nikon way? :wink:
Glen

Postby Greg B on Tue May 16, 2006 12:37 pm

gstark wrote:What glass did he get for the D200?

None yet, he has a colleague with Nikon gear, borrowed some glass, then lent the body to him.

And why did he get it?

He didn't say specifically, but he is an equipment freak.

And ... when is your order going in?

Excellent question, really excellent. Probably waiting for Birdy to be satisfied that the QA issues are squared away and we can buy grey with confidence. (See the D2X thread). I was planning to get the 18-200 for out trip next year, but on reflection, I think I might skip that, take my trusty G3 instead, and spend the money on a D200 body.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Greg B on Tue May 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Glen wrote:I assume the quality was the Nikon way? :wink:

Yep.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue May 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Well, when you think logically, the only good DSLR's Canon have at the moment in regards to quality control are the 30D and the 1Ds Mark 2.

Between a 30D with 8mp for around 2000 and a 1DsMk2 with 16.7mp FF for around $13,000... if you were a Canon person and you'd done your research well, you'd probably end up at either the 30D, the D200, or the D2x.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to General Discussion