Slack D300 Mount

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Slack D300 Mount

Postby Bri on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi. Have just joined after being recommended your site from a friend (bindii), and here’s my first of many probably silly questions :?
I have an issue I’m not sure about concerning my D300. The problem is I find that when mounting a lens since new, it seems a bit slack against the camera body mount and although there is a bit of movement with the 105mm it is particularly evident with the 80-400mm lens. When I say slack I mean that if you grip the lens and rotate there is quite a bit of movement.

You’ll understand that being relatively new to dslr photography I have no previous experience with other cams to compare.

Thanks in advance for you help on the matter.

Cheers Brian :cheers:
A Novice With Ambitions Of Being A Good Togg One Day
Bri

Re: Slack D300 Mount

Postby Glen on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. When the lens and body mate they do not create a rigid unit, there is usually .5 to 1mm of play, both rotationally and in relation to the body. If they were a perfect fit it would be too hard to change a lens. If your combo has that sort of play or a touch more, don't worry about it and have a great time with your new camera. If you have more test another lens to see which component has the play and then I would return it with camera and get their opinion. Cheers
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Bri on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.....I think :wink:
Doesn't seem to be any worse than you described so probably ok. Might just visit the store i bought them and compare with other setups.....just in case.
Probably the only slr and kit i will ever afford to buy so not taking any chances :)

Cheers Brian
A Novice With Ambitions Of Being A Good Togg One Day
Bri

Postby Glen on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Brian don't worry too much, people create photos out of cardboard boxes with pinholes in them :lol: It is quite disconcerting the first time you notice it, but in reality wont affect the images (unless of course your lens falls off :lol: )
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby MATT on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Mine has a similar movement, not what I would call excessive but noticeable .

MATT
MATT

Postby team piggy on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Ditto. Even more noticable with a heavy lens like a 300 2.8 hanging off it.
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Return to Nikon