Nikon ML-3 Infra Red Remote

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon ML-3 Infra Red Remote

Postby RDW on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:30 am

I have a Nikon ML-3 Remote which was a bonus (?) in a bundle of gear acquired s/h recently. The receiver has a DC6V plug in its side, presumably for charging an internal rechargeable battery. I didn't get any documentation or a charger with it and have not been able to find any detailed info about this unit on Nikon websites. Can anyone please throw any light (infra red or other) on this for me. I would like to know what sort of charging specs I would need for this other than the stated 6V. So far the unit seems to work OK so long as you have direct line of site triggering, but what a prick of thing to try and mount suitably if you also want to use flash!?!
Any help on the charger specs would be appreciated. Is a charger normally supplied with the unit? Thanks in anticipation.
RDW

Re: Nikon ML-3 Infra Red Remote

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:41 pm

I have the ML-3 but unfortunately the instructions are in Chinese :roll:

The receiver derives its power from the 10-pin connector when connected to an appropriate camera. There is, to my knowledge, no battery inside the receiver so I deduce that the 6VDC is an input socket for driving the receiver when not used with the 10-pin plug.

And to answer your question, a charger is not supplied as one is not needed. Many people have overcome the use flash as well problem by using velcro to mount the receiver to the camera.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby aim54x on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Isnt the ML-3 the one that the Phottix N1/Cleon is compared with? I have heard of the problem with mounting the reciever with the flash in use, velcro sounds like a good idea. Don't you hate line of site?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby RDW on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:22 pm

sirhc55 wrote:I have the ML-3 but unfortunately the instructions are in Chinese :roll:

The receiver derives its power from the 10-pin connector when connected to an appropriate camera. There is, to my knowledge, no battery inside the receiver so I deduce that the 6VDC is an input socket for driving the receiver when not used with the 10-pin plug.

And to answer your question, a charger is not supplied as one is not needed. Many people have overcome the use flash as well problem by using velcro to mount the receiver to the camera.

Thanks Chris, that makes sense! And thanks also for the velcro suggestion, also very good.

Regards,
Rob
RDW

Postby RDW on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:28 pm

aim54x wrote:Isnt the ML-3 the one that the Phottix N1/Cleon is compared with? I have heard of the problem with mounting the reciever with the flash in use, velcro sounds like a good idea. Don't you hate line of site?

Well I didn't pay for this device so it's really a great little bonus. Knowing what I do now however, I would certainly go for radio remote over infrared if buying one. But we work within our limitations!?!
RDW

Postby chrisk on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:53 pm

great that you got it for free cos imo its a piece of garbage. nikon should be ashamed of making something so expensive that works so badly and is so poorly designed.

once you get sick of the line if sight and reliability issues, grab one of these from our good mates at HK Supplies.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Phottix-Cleon-Wi ... m153.l1262
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Rooz wrote:once you get sick of the line if sight and reliability issues, grab one of these from our good mates at HK Supplies.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Phottix-Cleon-Wi ... m153.l1262

It is a good thing to have gotten for free, now you can spend a little bit of money for the Cleon and still have the braggin rights for owning a ML-3! ROFL
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Nikon