Nikon D90 Specs

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D90 Specs

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Rumour mills flying, Nikon D90 Specs here :D :D :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: Nikon D90 Specs

Postby rookie2 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Price and specs are gr8 but I was hoping it would have some sort of VHS AND Beta videoing capability!
I wish I hadnt thrown away those punch cards!!
Looking forward to your next leak straight from Nikon! :wink: :wink:
R2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby StarForge on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Hey where's the built-in cup holder and hand warmer? :lol:
StarForge

Postby chrisk on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 am

thom hogan claims that it will have video and come with a new kit lens.
We shall see soon enough i guess.

The Nikon D80 Replacement...
bythom.com
August 5--The D80 is now the granddad in Nikon's DSLR lineup. On a specification level, the D80 is missing a lot of check marks that the competition can now boast about in their marketing, and the fact that we're now almost exactly two years into the D80's life seems unusual given how fast the other Nikon consumer models iterated.

Well, that's about to end. The replacement for the D80 will be called the D90, as expected. Curiously, at a casual glance the only thing that most people will notice different from a D80 is the presence of a much bigger color LCD on the back. Indeed, most of the controls look pretty much the same (though the buttons are round now) and are in the same place on the D90 as they were on the D80. However, there are a few odds and ends that catch your notice on closer examination. On the back, for example, we now have Live View and Info buttons, and the OK button is in the middle of the direction pad. On the front there's a microphone grill next to the infrared receiver. On the side, the labels on the rubber doors reveal HDMI and GPS connectors in addition to the expected ones.

So what is a D90? Well, a 12mp, ~4.5 fps DSLR, basically. On paper those seem like modest boosts from the D80. In practice, they are a distinct notch forward in performance. The big news, however, is that Live View now has a twist that other DSLRs can't currently claim: it can record video (thus the microphone grill).

We also get a new lens for kitting with the D90: the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR. Modest in size (67mm filter size), this seems like a nice addition to the lineup and well targeted to the D80/D90 type of user. Essentially, this is a 28-150mm equivalent. Not truly superzoom, but a good compromise between size and reach. This new lens also plugs the VR hole Nikon had in the DX lens lineup (essentially no VR in the kit lenses if you wanted more than 55 but less than 200 at the long end).

Don't ask when or how much. To my knowledge, Nikon hasn't scheduled a press conference for product introduction yet, though they have a first quarter financial results meeting later this week. Since high-quality photos of production models appear to be circulating on the Internet, I'd guess that soon is the answer to the first question, and I wouldn't expect any big surprises (up or down from the original D80 list price) in cost.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:56 am

rookie2 wrote:Price and specs are gr8 but I was hoping it would have some sort of VHS AND Beta videoing capability!
I wish I hadnt thrown away those punch cards!!
Looking forward to your next leak straight from Nikon! :wink: :wink:
R2

More importantly, a more recent leak from Nikon suggested that it will provide a live ticker-tape feed of Dow Jones stock prices. Unfortunately, it can only get prices on companies like Baldwin Locomotive, American Beet Sugar, Utah Copper, etc. :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Grev on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:41 am

It's got a floppy drive, how backward compatible.

And it seems to be making fun of 1D3 users as well.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby feldy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:01 am

Not sure if nnnnsic has posted this elsewhere [we were both at the launch yesterday] - Australian retail pricing announced yesterday was $1549 [body] or $1849 with new 18-105 VR that Thom mentioned in post above.

Nikon made a big thing of the movie capability, which will be a turn on, or simply a gimmick, depending on how wedded you are to still photography. In either case, it's always nice to get the feel of a new camera, and seems a nice little unit.

F
feldy

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks Feldy, There is a thread started by leigh with some lively opinions over here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33722 so I will close this one to keep it all in one place.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to Nikon