D90 actually available in Australia?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Re: D90 actually available in Australia?

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:21 pm

MatthewRoberts wrote:Sorry Gary, I mean't filter size - thanks! :)

Ok, cool. :)

For all intents and purposes, it's not going to be a factor in your shooting.

That said, the filter size is a representation of the diameter of your lens, which in turn is a reflection of some design decisions taken by your lens manufacturer.

Bear with me ... this might get a tad complex. :)

Those design decisions will and do have a bearing upon a number of factors within your lenses: the maximum lens aperture available (the largest size of the hole through which the light passes) bears a mathematical relationship to the focal length of the lens, and (in a nutshell) the larger the hole, the larger the diameter needs to be, for any given focal length.

Don't worry too much about it, except to understand that larger holes pass more light, thus they need more glass in their construction, which means that they weigh more, and cost more. Yep: the bigger the hole, the more you pay.

And so, getting back to your original question, rather than looking at the filter diameter (which is merely a physical property), look at the maximum aperture that the lens supports. A lower number means a larger hole and thus greater light passing, which probably means better glass. f/2.8 lets in more light than f/4, and f/1.8 lets in more light again. and so on -> f/1.8 -> f/1.4 f/1.2.

This is generally what is meant when we talk about glass being "fast": it lets in more light, thus it's more suitable for shooting in darker locales, thus it lets you shoot in more difficult circumstances. It's regarded as being fast in optical terms.

Better glass means more $$$$$ to pay!

Better glass is generally bigger, fatter, and heavier.

So, in terms of lens quality, filter size is irrelevant, but it might be an indicator to other lens properties, but those other lens properties are probably better expressed within other aspects of the lens's nomenclature.

Hopefully you're still (somewhat) with me here. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:25 pm

ATJ wrote: It is not better because it takes a 77mm filter, but it takes a 77mm filter because it is better in other ways.

Great example. Thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MatthewRoberts on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Thank you Andrew for this great explanation. This whole lens/aperture thing is where I struggled as a Newbie dslr buyer. I guess after just buying a twin lens kit and trying them out will also help it all sink right in. :cheers:
“ If you cannot explain it simply, you dont understand it well enough ”
Albert Einstein

D90 / D700 / SB-900 / 50mm 1.4G / 18-200mm / 24-70mm, Manfrotto 190XDB/804RC2
Canon Powershot SX100IS, Canon IXUS 65, Pentax Optio S4
MatthewRoberts

Postby MatthewRoberts on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:25 pm

gstark wrote:That said, the filter size is a representation of the diameter of your lens, which in turn is a reflection of some design decisions taken by your lens manufacturer.

Diameter is the magic word I've been missing.. not width (doh!)

gstark wrote:This is generally what is meant when we talk about glass being "fast": it lets in more light, thus it's more suitable for shooting in darker locales, thus it lets you shoot in more difficult circumstances. It's regarded as being fast in optical terms.

This totally explains why compact cameras are so crap in low light (apart from tiny sensors and small apertures).

gstark wrote:So, in terms of lens quality, filter size is irrelevant, but it might be an indicator to other lens properties, but those other lens properties are probably better expressed within other aspects of the lens's nomenclature.

Makes sense - because the filter is the only place I could find where the lens diameter is displayed.

gstark wrote:Hopefully you're still (somewhat) with me here. :)

Absolutely.. massively happy I joined dslrusers.com today! :D
MatthewRoberts

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:57 pm

MatthewRoberts wrote:
gstark wrote:This is generally what is meant when we talk about glass being "fast": it lets in more light, thus it's more suitable for shooting in darker locales, thus it lets you shoot in more difficult circumstances. It's regarded as being fast in optical terms.

This totally explains why compact cameras are so crap in low light (apart from tiny sensors and small apertures).

That's probably more down to the small sensor size and the miniscule photosites that they hold. You can still get a fast lens on a PHD: lens (optical) speed is a function of a number of factors, including focal length, diameter, and image circle (sensor) target size. With a smaller sensor, you can make a faster lens more easily than for a larger sensor. An 8mm lens might be a considered to be a normal focal length on a PHD camera (vs 50mm on a full frame 35mm camera), and thus requirements for an aperture of f/2.8 are easier to address in the smaller form factor.

And some PHDs are capable of turning in excellent results. The old Nikon CP5700 has glass that is regarded very highly, and the current Canon G9 is a very highly regarded camera.

gstark wrote:So, in terms of lens quality, filter size is irrelevant, but it might be an indicator to other lens properties, but those other lens properties are probably better expressed within other aspects of the lens's nomenclature.

Makes sense - because the filter is the only place I could find where the lens diameter is displayed.

Yep.

gstark wrote:Hopefully you're still (somewhat) with me here. :)

Absolutely.. massively happy I joined dslrusers.com today! :D

Ok ... now you just need to attend to the location in your profile, and we'll all be happy little campers. :)

And we're glad to be able to help: that's why we're here.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Nikon