Faulty D70 - how bad is it?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Faulty D70 - how bad is it?

Postby Ausyuppy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi all,
My D70 has starting doing strange things to photos that I take. You need to look at the photos to see what I mean. I have tried different lenses, different memory cards to isolate the fault. It appears to be a camera issue.

1st question, has anyone come across this before and;
2nd question, where is the closes nikon repairer to Brissy? I know it used to be maxwells in Sydney, however I beleive this has changed.

To add to my misery, my 18 - 70mm kit lens is now stuck and cannot zoom. So looks like both the camera and lens will be getting serviced. This is disappointing as I look after the camera well and always keep it stored in my lowepro bag.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Ausyuppy

Re: Faulty D70 - how bad is it?

Postby ATJ on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Looks like your D70 is inhabited by the ghost of Monet.

I have not seen that before, but if it happens on all cards you have tried, it would have to be the camera. I assume the pictures show like this on the LCD, too.
ATJ

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Looks like it could be a sensor issue.

The Nikon repair agent is:

Anderson Camera Repairs
14 Merritt St
Capalaba QLD 4157
(07) 3245 6444

Good luck - hope it's not too serious or expensive.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Ausyuppy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:29 pm

ATJ wrote:Looks like your D70 is inhabited by the ghost of Monet.

I have not seen that before, but if it happens on all cards you have tried, it would have to be the camera. I assume the pictures show like this on the LCD, too.

Yep, it shows it on the LCD as well.
Ausyuppy

Postby Mr Darcy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Maybe you could sell the camera to an art gallery :lol:

For the price of a D700 and new kit of lenses.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Ausyuppy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:34 pm

Haha, so whos going to open the bidding...... :D

A new D700 would be nice :)
Ausyuppy

Postby methd on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 am

wooow ! that's a cool camera u got there!.... if there were guarantees that it'd remain that way, i'd seriously offer to purchase it off you. imagine shooting flowers/gardens etc and seeing what you'll get with that. Best of all, you can say it's straight out of camera :)
http://www.lumensphotography.com
Nikon gear. D3x, D3s, D3 ... and lots of lenses.
methd

Postby aim54x on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:45 am

methd wrote:wooow ! that's a cool camera u got there!.... if there were guarantees that it'd remain that way, i'd seriously offer to purchase it off you. imagine shooting flowers/gardens etc and seeing what you'll get with that. Best of all, you can say it's straight out of camera :)
 ROFL it is cool, but I think I will bow out of the bidding. You can have this one methd
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Ausyuppy on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:24 pm

Hmm,
I'll open the bidding at $2700.... :) Thats the price for a new D700 isnt it?? :)

I'll have to drop it off to the repairer in Capalaba to get it looked at.
Ausyuppy

Postby methd on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:04 pm

I'm not sure you can find a new D700 under $3.4k right now (and that's actually local price)... but I'm sure it will get better.
http://www.lumensphotography.com
Nikon gear. D3x, D3s, D3 ... and lots of lenses.
methd

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:19 pm

methd wrote:I'm not sure you can find a new D700 under $3.4k right now (and that's actually local price)... but I'm sure it will get better.

Is that your opening bid methd?
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Ausyuppy on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:00 pm

My wife took the camera and lens to Anderson's and the prognosis isnt looking too good. They had a look and quoted that the lens needs the guides repaired and that either the CCD is buggered in the camera, or the "flex circuit card" may need to be repaired.

They quoted $325 + gst for labour and possibly $295 + gst if the CCD needs to be replaced. So Im looking at $682.00 to get the camera fixed. I told them to go ahead this afternoon, but am now having second thoughts.

Clive Anthony's in Brissy are advertising a D90 package with the following

- 15-55 VR & 55-200 VR lenses
- bonus bag by redemption

for $1877 (negotiable) dont know how negotiable though.

I must read into this as it seems an impressive camera if the HD movie part of the camera is good. It apparantly has a HDMI output.

My question is, is this a good price if I was to get it around the $1700 - $1800 range? Im finding it hard to justify spending ~$700 on a camera which isnt really worth that anymore.

Cheers
Steve
Ausyuppy

Postby DStrom on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:20 pm

For me unless the camera had sentimental value, I would not have it repaired.

You can pick up a new D90 body only (Grey Stock) from d-d-photographics for $1299 you could probably do a little better than that if you shop around.

Otherwise you should be able to pick up a good used D80 for that price or less, I think I saw someone on the forum selling one for $450 not that long ago.
DStrom

Postby MATT on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 pm

Put it on ebay as a faulty cam.. You'll get something for it. Either pickup a D80 second hand or a D90 or even a D60..

Good luck

MATT
MATT

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Steve,

Ausyuppy wrote:So Im looking at $682.00 to get the camera fixed.

And what would be the actual value of the camera, after repairs, should you decide to sell it?

Clive Anthony's in Brissy are advertising a D90 package with the following

The D90 is an excellent camera, and to my mind, it's the natural successor to the D70. The video quality is excellent, surpassing the quality available from most camcorders.

My question is, is this a good price if I was to get it around the $1700 - $1800 range? Im finding it hard to justify spending ~$700 on a camera which isnt really worth that anymore.

I would find that difficult to justify too. Why buy a kit though? Just buy the body, and you're back in business.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Ausyuppy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:50 am

I would find that difficult to justify too. Why buy a kit though? Just buy the body, and you're back in business.

The cost was also to repair my 18-70mm lens. Thats the one I use the most. The kit for sale at the moment includes a 18 - 50mm and a 50mm - 200mm. I already own a 50mm 1.8f and a 80 - 200mm 2.8f, but I mainly used to use the 18 - 70mm for day to day shots.

And what would be the actual value of the camera, after repairs, should you decide to sell it?

Having a quick look on ebay and the buy sell of this forum, it seems $500 is roughly what I would get with the 18-70mm and the body. Not worth fixing if its going to cost me $700 to get it operational again :(

You can pick up a new D90 body only (Grey Stock) from d-d-photographics for $1299 you could probably do a little better than that if you shop around.

Im a little wary of buying the grey stock. Mainly from a warranty perspective. Has d-d photographics been around a while??

Thanks for all the replies,
Cheers
Steve
Ausyuppy

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:04 am

Ausyuppy wrote:
Im a little wary of buying the grey stock. Mainly from a warranty perspective. Has d-d photographics been around a while??

Thanks for all the replies,
Cheers
Steve

d-d are very good, you'll have no problems with them. They have a Brisbane store at New Farm where you can pick up. They do offer a warranty, but the camera goes back to their source for repairs.

If you want a Nikon Australia warranty, try ECS in Sydney (http://www.cameras.net.au/). They carry Australian stock and are advertising the D90 at $1385, body only.

I would also talk to Ted's - they are very negotiable at the moment. Don't accept their sticker price - you can get them down to around ECS prices with a little bargaining.
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby MATT on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm

If you in Brisbane try Teds in the city , then play him off against PhotoC in Mt Gravat...

Good luck.

MATT
MATT

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:38 pm

There is also a Teds at Garden City Mt Gravatt, just up the road from PC.

I bought from them recently and they were happy to negotiate - I went at them with the ECS price and they matched it.

Don't be afraid to bargain.
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Ausyuppy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 pm

Don't be afraid to bargain

Thats one thing I have learnt lately. Most, if not all major retailers will match competitors prices. Off topic, I went to buy a nintendo Wii game for my brother the other day at EB Games. I asked the sales guy how much it was (Mario Kart), he replied $99. I said thanks and went to leave. He them mentioned that they price match if I have seen a better price. My comment to him was, "so whats the better price that I have seen". He replied $69 from JB Hifi. I was gobsmacked as he then sold it to me for $69.

As for the camera, I have decided to get the lens repaired. As for the camera itself, if it isnt the CCD it will cost next to nothing to repair. If its the CCD, I told them not to bother. Regardless, I think I will be buying myself a D90 very soon. I havent seen anything bad written about them yet.

Cheers
Steve
Ausyuppy

Postby Ausyuppy on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Got a call today. The CCD is faulty in the camera. The lens is being repaired and Ive decided not to repair the camera.

I start moving house tomorrow, so when Im all settled in next week, I will have to go shopping for the D90!!

Thanks for all the feedback.
Cheers
Steve
Ausyuppy

Postby Killakoala on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 am

Good luck with that Steve. Enjoy the new house too. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Ausyuppy on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Well I couldnt help myself.

I bought the D90 with the twin lens pack (18-55VR & 55-200VR) for $1662 which I thought was a reasonable package. Considering their brochure price was $1877! 4 years extra warranty set me back $179 however I thought this was reasonable considering the dead D70 just cost me $1700!

At first glance, Im really impressed with the camera. The 3 inch screen is awesome. I look forward to playing with this camera a lot more when I move.

Cheers
Steve
Ausyuppy

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Congratulations Steve. I'm sure you will enjoy this new toy.

Toy set.

:)

Ausyuppy wrote:I look forward to playing with this camera a lot more when I move.

I'm sure that you meant to say that you look forward to photographing the whole moving process, while you let others do all of the hard work. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby georgie on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Ausyuppy wrote:Well I couldnt help myself.

I bought the D90 with the twin lens pack (18-55VR & 55-200VR) for $1662 which I thought was a reasonable package. Considering their brochure price was $1877!
Steve

Hi Steve

If I could ask where did you get it for that price - was looking at buying one today and was told that the Nikon shipment got held up in the Bangkok Airport delays and no one in Australia would likely have any (this was from Teds in Brisbane (Mt Gravatt store)) - I tried at Harvey Norman across from them and they did not have any either.
Cheers
Georgie
georgie

Postby Ausyuppy on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi Georgie,
I bought it from Clive Anthony's at Carseldine. I bought their last kit with the 2 lenses, however if you were to call them, they can check the stock levels at all their stores. I think they had a D90 with one kit lens, however you would have to call them.
Cheers
Steve
Ausyuppy

Postby georgie on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks Steve,

I will give them a call.
Cheers
Georgie
georgie

Postby obzelite on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:47 pm

georgie wrote:
Ausyuppy wrote:Well I couldnt help myself.

I bought the D90 with the twin lens pack (18-55VR & 55-200VR) for $1662 which I thought was a reasonable package. Considering their brochure price was $1877!
Steve

Hi Steve

If I could ask where did you get it for that price - was looking at buying one today and was told that the Nikon shipment got held up in the Bangkok Airport delays and no one in Australia would likely have any (this was from Teds in Brisbane (Mt Gravatt store)) - I tried at Harvey Norman across from them and they did not have any either.

i just scored the same kit from havey norman, here in perth, for 1650 with an 8gb sandisk card. i thought it was a good deal.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 pm

obzelite wrote:i just scored the same kit from havey norman, here in perth, for 1650 with an 8gb sandisk card. i thought it was a good deal.

Simon,

You should be ashamed of yourself, taking advantage of a poor, defenceless little Hardly Normal salesdweeb like that. :)

Great deal, and well done.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:18 pm

gstark wrote:
obzelite wrote:i just scored the same kit from havey norman, here in perth, for 1650 with an 8gb sandisk card. i thought it was a good deal.

Simon,

You should be ashamed of yourself, taking advantage of a poor, defenceless little Hardly Normal salesdweeb like that. :)

Great deal, and well done.

Wow someone else who refers to them as HARDLY NORMAL!!!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby obzelite on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:51 pm

i could of got it cheaper as well, but got charged a restocking fee because i made the guy make the kit up from other kits that they had it stock as that exact bundle was out of stock.
so now HN cannington has 3 kits that are missing bits.
as much as we bag them, some times you find a sales guy who will bend over back wards to help you.
Almost walked out with a 1920x1080 projector for 2200 after i got them down from the sticker price of 3800. but he let slip the new model in january will be brighter so i told him i'll back then to get that model for the same price. he checked his computer and said it might be a bit more, bit being 80 bucks.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Return to Nikon