D400 Anyone?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D400 Anyone?

Postby Cre8tivepixels on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:14 am

Nikon D400
MSRP $1,999.00
Key Features:

■New 14.8 megapixel DX format CMOS sensor effective 14.3 megapixel
■Self-cleaning sensor unit (low-pass filter vibration)
■ISO 100 - 6400 (with boost up to ISO 25600 and down to ISO 50)
■14-bit A/D conversion
■Movie capture at up to 1080p 24 fps with stereo sound

■Nikon EXPEED Plus image processor 30% faster than previous EXPEED image processor

■Super fast operation (power-up 13 ms, shutter lag 40 ms, black-out 90 ms)
■Kevlar / carbon fibre composite shutter with 200,000 exposure durability

■Multi-CAM3500DX Auto Focus sensor (51-point, 15 cross-type, more vertical coverage)

■Auto-focus tracking by color (using information from 1005-pixel AE sensor)

■Auto-focus calibration (fine-tuning) now available (fixed body or up to 20 separate lens settings)
■Vignetting control in-camera
■Automatic chromatic aberration correction
■Custom image parameters now support brightness as well as contrast

■Seven frames per second continuous shooting (nine frames per second with battery pack)
■3.0″ 922,000 pixel LCD monitor

■Live View with either phase detect (mirror up/down) or contrast-detect AF, face detection

■‘Active D-Lighting’ (adjusts metering as well as applying D-Lighting curve)

■Detailed ‘Control Panel’ type display on LCD monitor, changes color in darkness
■Buttons sealed against moisture
■Same ultra-fast startup and shutter lag as D700
■Scene Recognition System (uses AE sensor, AF sensor)
■Picture Control image parameter presets
■UDMA compatible single CF card slot

■Virtual horizon indicates if camera is level (like an aircraft cockpit display)
■Extensive in-camera retouching
■HDMI HD video output

■Magnesium alloy body with connections and buttons sealed against moisture
Cre8tivepixels

Re: D400 Anyone?

Postby aim54x on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:00 am

Thats from NikonRumors.com I read that and thought, give me quick AF live view like the SONY (ie phase detect without mirror up/down) and I'll be happy.

I'll pass on a D400 and wait to see what the D500 and D900 (FX) will have in store for me. I dont think I will be looking again until then.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:25 am

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody posted it here. :) We saw this yesterday.

There's a good reason why the site upon which this is posted is called Nikon RUMOURS ...

And if you have a close look at the alleged specifications, you can see why this is most likely a fake, and a poorly crafted one at that.

For instance ... vignetting control is used in FX sensored cameras because of the size of the sensor; it's not required in DX bodies, so why is this present?

The next body will most likely be a D700X ... And any D400 will be a dumbed down FX body - D700 with reduced AF capabilites.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:30 am

gstark wrote:And if you have a close look at the alleged specifications, you can see why this is most likely a fake, and a poorly crafted one at that.

For instance ... vignetting control is used in FX sensored cameras because of the size of the sensor; it's not required in DX bodies, so why is this present?

:agree:
gstark wrote:The next body will most likely be a D700X ... And any D400 will be a dumbed down FX body - D700 with reduced AF capabilites.

I am not sure if the AF capabilities will be reduced, the D300 already has the CAM3500DX module, so the D400 will have to have at least the same unit, if not a better one. I would think the D400 would be DX with more pixels than a D300 and be a progression on the same body. ie 100% viewfinder and AF is retained, similar frame rates, more pixels, video, better live view AF.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby chrisk on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:47 pm

i think its fake.
i agree with cameron. needs to have vastly improved LV AF and an articulating screen please Nikon.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Return to Nikon