Problems with Phottix Battery Pack D200

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Problems with Phottix Battery Pack D200

Postby brentsky on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi all,

Some months ago I purchased a phottix battery pack for my D200, from HKSupplies. After a few weeks I was shooting and the shutter froze. The camera would not switch on at all, unless I removed the battery pack and inserted the battery directly into the slot in the D200.

I then wrote to HK Supplies who kindly replaced the faulty battery pack.

Today, the same issue reoccured. It is quite frustrating! I am unsure whether the issue is related to the camera and its battery terminals, or the battery packs.
I would be keen to hear your opinions on what may be the problem.

Regards, Brent
brentsky

Re: Problems with Phottix Battery Pack D200

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:21 pm

What lens was on the camera, Brent?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby brentsky on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:15 am

gstark wrote:What lens was on the camera, Brent?

nikkor 18-200 VR .
brentsky

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 am

Exactly why I asked. Does this happen with other lenses on that body?

I have seen exactly the same problem with this lens mounted on a body, and given that it's happened with no battery grip on the body, I suspect that there's a firmware fault - an obscure one, because this occurs infrequently - in the 18-200VR.

What firmware Rev. are you running in the body? Is it the latest?

I would be making sure of the latest firmware, and using other lenses to see if the problem also occurs with those lenses. Also, I would try using the same combo, but without the grip, to see if the problem still occurs.

The difficulty here is that if this is a somewhat infrequent occurrence, as I suspect it to be, then it may not recur.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:55 am

That does sound like a strange issue. Hope this all works out for you.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby brentsky on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:15 pm

gstark wrote:Exactly why I asked. Does this happen with other lenses on that body?

not that I have noticed with the 50mm f1.8 - and i tend to use that lens much more than the zoom. As soon as i remove the battery pack, the camera functions perfectly. However the battery pack will no longer function - there is no recognition of power reaching the unit.

gstark wrote: What firmware Rev. are you running in the body? Is it the latest?

I have version 2.00 for A & B. I am under the impression this is the latest. Is this true?

Thanks Gary
brentsky

Postby aim54x on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:38 pm

maybe upgrade to the Nikon MB-D200?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:41 pm

brentsky wrote:
gstark wrote:Exactly why I asked. Does this happen with other lenses on that body?

not that I have noticed with the 50mm f1.8 - and i tend to use that lens much more than the zoom. As soon as i remove the battery pack, the camera functions perfectly. However the battery pack will no longer function - there is no recognition of power reaching the unit.

Ok, indicative, but not conclusive. What happens if you reset the camera?

Is there a way we can run a multimeter on the battery pack? What sort of power levels was the battery pack showing when this occurred?

Bearing in mind that I have seen a very similar problem, only with a sample of that lens but no battery pack, my thoughts are tending towards the lens as being the source of the problem, although the problem itself, as I have seen it, is a very difficult one to isolate. Taking that to the next level, and thinking aloud more than anything else, it's not inconceivable to me that the lens may have caused a problem in the body, which in turn may have affected your battery pack.

I'm not saying that this is what has happened, but merely speculating ... and sadly none of this is absolutely helpful for you in trying to solve the immediate problem that you are experiencing.

gstark wrote: What firmware Rev. are you running in the body? Is it the latest?

I have version 2.00 for A & B. I am under the impression this is the latest. Is this true?

I think there may be a newer one, but I'm not sure. What does the Nikon Asia site say? IAC, I think that should be ok for the purposes of this discussion.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby brentsky on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:16 pm

gstark wrote:Ok, indicative, but not conclusive. What happens if you reset the camera?

Is there a way we can run a multimeter on the battery pack? What sort of power levels was the battery pack showing when this occurred?

What firmware Rev. are you running in the body? Is it the latest?

I just updated to version 2.01, but this has not altered the problem. I shall see if work has a multimeter tomorrow, and test the current in the grip.
Thanks for the assistance Gary, its a puzzling issue! It feels a whole different camera without the grip :(
brentsky

Postby team piggy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:49 pm

I have had exactly the same happen with a number of Phottix. (In and without a battery grip too).

Also again on various lenses.

Oddly :roll: the issue went away after deciding that Genuine Nikon only for me..
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby RHiSC on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:22 am

I had a similar problem. I was using an non-genuine EN-EL3 battery for about 3 months with my D80 and one day the camera refused to turn on. Turned out the battery suddenly died and even the charger would not work with it.

It seems all of the non-genuine EN-EL3 batteries on EBAY are from the same manufacturer, just a different sticker - eg, Phottix.

Ended up buying a genuine.
RHiSC

Postby brentsky on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:11 pm

i bought a nikon MB-D200 today, teds gave it to me for $180 which was not a bad price. Problem has all but disappered for now which is a relief.

brentsky
brentsky

Return to Nikon