Sydney night tourist shots

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sydney night tourist shots

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:17 am

I have been working pretty hard recently, so when it was calm and pleasant tonight thought it would be a good chance to get out and take some photos. Haven't had time to PP, just run through Nikon Editor to make jpegs and resized, plus two were cropped. That is the beaut thing about night photography, black doesn't need much PP :wink:

My apologies to all from Sydney, these will look like a bunch of cheap postcards from a rundown newsagent, but I love the icons of this city and they may be of interest to those further afield. All exif data should be intact.

The Bridge

The City

The Opera House

OperaHouse.jpg" alt="Image" />

Bridge again

Opera House front on

Fort Denison

Opera House from Luna Park

Bridge over a peaceful harbour

Glen

Postby Onyx on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:50 am

Glen, wow... you're making me homesick. ;)

It's great that you're able to appreciate the very city in which you live in, I think most people take it for granted. Superb shots, I guess all your investment in supports and glass has paid of dividends.

I'm guessing #1 is the 12-24 at work, lovely wide field of view. I could get all 'straighten horizon' on you for some of them, but I'll only be hypocritical.

Fort Denison didn't really work for me, I was more persuaded by the Amex building and the two on the right (they were perfectly exposed!)

I'd say it was a productive night, gauging by these images. :)
Onyx

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:09 am

Nice shooting Glen.

Do I see a replacement for your avatar on the horizon?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby NetMagi on Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:12 am

1 & 3 are my favs. Incredible, just incredible. . . .

-Rich
NetMagi

Postby Neeper on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:09 am

Wow!! What beautiful night shots. When I look at those pictures, it's hard to believe I have actually been there before. Though, it was many years ago.
Johnny
D200, D70, 18-70mm, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 24-120mm VR, 12-24mm Tokina, 70-300mm Tamron, Lens Baby 2.0, Peleng Fisheye 8mm, SB800, Alien Bees Studio Setup: 1 B400, 2 B800, 1 B1600, Sekonic L-358
http://www.jtimagesonline.com
Neeper

Postby flipfrog on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:28 am

glen
number 1 is an amazing shot...
post card perfect......

is that kit lens?
all very sharp images

very impressed with this bunch :shock:

(p.s. just a few horizons need fixing)
flipfrog

Postby Geoff on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:40 am

Awesome shots Glen...nice to see a posting from you matey! Sorry to hear you've been working so hard, but maybe you deserve to buy yourself the D2X now? 8)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby KerryPierce on Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:06 am

Beautiful shots, Glen. Exposures and sharpness were excellent. Very nicely done, sir. :D
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby BBJ on Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:51 am

Stunning shots Glen, wonderful and yes they all are great i have only been to Sydney once when i was younger but yeh would love to get there oneday to see the lights.
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:55 am

Nicely done, Glen. Water, lights, iconic buildings. Thanx. :D
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Hlop on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:03 am

Good shots Glen, especially #3. But IMHO #3 and #2 going to slip away from the frame :) Could you straighten them a bit? :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby HappyFotographer on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:32 am

Good Lord Glen, don't apologise, they are fabulous images.

I must admit I looked at them with great envy. As a female I would never feel comfortable taking night time shots of Sydney (or any area at night really). I feel like I have a sign above my head annoucing short, out of condition, easy to mug, girl flashing for all to see.

I think I might save a couple of these for inspiration.....

Cheers
Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby MHD on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:27 am

I would have to say #1 is my fav... great comp, like the fence...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

beaty

Postby below-0 on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:30 am

Lovely, the exposures are so nice. what aperture and exposure did you use for these? I take many night shots, I usually get the 'what it looks' like as i don't like overexposing but for the public they like them slightly bright.
below-0

Postby stormygirl on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:48 am

These are fantastic! Beautifully sharp and wonderful colours. Love the compositions, and it's hard to pic my fave! But possibly #1. Just amazing...I really have to get out more.... :roll: !
stormygirl

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 am

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge - Gitzo, RRS BH55, Sigma, Nikon and your icons - Glen - a wonderful iconic reflection of Sydney from the North shore - fab pics but you will henceforth be known as ”The Night Stalker” :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 am

Nnnnsic wrote:Nice shooting Glen.

Do I see a replacement for your avatar on the horizon?

Only after he straightens it. :)

Nice range of shots Glen, and well exposed too. Not easy to do, so well done.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:00 pm

Thanks all for the nice comments. All shots were taken with two of my three favourite lenses, the Nikkor 70-200 VR and the Sigma 12-24. Most at F8 or F10, about 8-10 secs. I had some difficulty seeing the grid lines in the dark, they only flash for a split second on partial shutter depress, so as everyone says, some horizon straightening is in order. PSCS is still a mystery to me, so Nikon Editor with its 20 seconds per image got the nod for posting.
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:41 pm

Glen. Firstly - great shots (#2 and #3 are my faves). Also shows how good the Sigma 12-24 is in the wide shots.

Secondly. Nickon Capture has an excellent straighten tool in the Image menu. Choose Rotate, then custom (or it might be arbitrary - I'm going from memory), then click the draw line button at the top of the dialog. The dialog will go away. You then have a different cursor and draw a line along a "line" that you want straight. It will then automatically rotate for you. Very easy. I use this a lot
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby dooda on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:41 pm

Truly great shots Glen. I don't think I've seen such wonderful takes of the opera house. Great work.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:46 pm

Stubbsy, thanks for the tip, didn't even know it was there :oops: I was using Nikon Editor, the lite version as only resized for the web, very, very quick but will try Capture in future and before I do anything with these images. Thanks :wink:
Glen

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:20 pm

Great photos! Nice and sharp. Trying cropping the last one to a pano ratio and see what it looks like.
PiroStitch

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Piro, tried it but must say myself am a fan of the complete image. What do you think?

Could make a handy bookmark :wink:
Glen

Postby mic on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:21 pm

Ripper shots Glen, :D You are the BRIDGE MASTER.

Alllll hayle the Bridge Master, Allll hayle ye olde Bridge Master.

Sorry, got carried away again :lol: :lol:

I might try a couple of inversions on these tonight Hmmmm.

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby Alex on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Glen,

Excellent and sharp shots! Have to try taking night photos now that I have a tripod :lol:

Thanks for the inspiration
Alex
Alex

Postby mic on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:52 pm

Hope you don't take offence Glen, I was only mucking around but thought I would look at it Inverted :shock: Totally different with a real modern feel about it.

I do like yours better, but this looks so different ( I thought )

Mic. :wink:

Blame Stormy for this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:16 pm

Glen wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Piro, tried it but must say myself am a fan of the complete image. What do you think?

Could make a handy bookmark :wink:

Agreed that it looks a bit out of place without the water or part of the foreground :)
PiroStitch

Postby stubbsy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:27 pm

mic

did you take those anti inversion pills tonight? or have they stopped working? :wink: I thought you'd turned over a new leaf :lol:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Nikkofan on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:32 pm

HappyFotographer wrote:As a female I would never feel comfortable taking night time shots of Sydney (or any area at night really). I feel like I have a sign above my head annoucing short, out of condition, easy to mug, girl flashing for all to see.

:idea: Here's a thought for the Sydney-ites. I also have hesitations about going out at night by myself on shooting expeditions (except trying for the moon in our front yard!) but that's 2 of us - Deb and myself. So, chances are there are others too. SO ... how about sometime getting a group together to go shooting around the city at night? I mean for everyone, not just for the girls of the forum. I had a night shoot around the Rocks about 5 weeks and it was great but we were in a big group and ended up in the Lowenbrau Keller for dinner and a bit of a debrief afterwards.

Would anyone else be interested in something like this, for perhaps a few hours?

Just a thought ...
Nikkofan

Postby mic on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:32 pm

Yeah, I know Stubbsy, I just couldn't resist. :roll: :roll:

I'll go take them know, 2 greens ones tonight I think, Oh ooooo better watch out what I post afterwards.

Good leaf joke by the way He he :D :D
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby stubbsy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:49 pm

mic wrote:Good leaf joke by the way He he :D :D

Thanks - we aims to please :D
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:06 am

Further to Nikkofan's suggestions, yes please - schedule a Sydney night meet! After the 20th of May... :)
Onyx

Postby MCWB on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:32 am

Nikkofan wrote:Would anyone else be interested in something like this, for perhaps a few hours?

Certainly, I might have to look into getting a tripod and head first though. :? Dinner at a nice pub somewhere in the Rocks sounds great. I have a personal bias for the Belgian beer cafe, but that's just me. :)
MCWB

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:51 am

Nikkofan you beat me to it, after seeing Deb's post I was going to suggest something like this. I always like night shots, add Deb, Trent, Chi (Onyx), etc that is 4 or 5 to start. I would respectfully suggest there is two sorts of night shots of the city, ones taken within the city looking at detail and ones taken from outside looking at the city like the above. The wow factor of lights on water tends to make the outside ones look good easily (thats why I took them :wink: ). I would suggest we start northside to take some pics of the city, half an hour should be plenty (it took me 45 mins to get all the above shots at three different locations) and that way everyone will take home a few spectacular shots to show the family, then proceed over to the Rocks to take some slighly harder, grittier shots, maybe with a bite before or after the Rocks. Maybe people would like to show their interest on this thread and preferred day and date?
Glen

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:53 am

Ps I have a couple of spare tripods if anyone needs one, which are crap compared to the Gitzo, but a tripod is an absolute necessity for this. Trent PM me if you want to borrow one.

ps Mic, forgot to mention, the inversion is different, maybe we can try and sell it at the punk concert someone was photographing
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:44 am

Sounds good to me - a night shoot with a group is safer than doing it individually
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:42 pm

A night shoot sounds ideal. After the 20th of May works for me as I hope to no longer be preggars by then, otherwise I can still go, but might slow you all down....top speed isn't all that fast right now! :lol: .....the man can surely handle a newborn for a short couple of hours!

I would also like to borrow a tripod if at all possible. The piece of crap I have is just laughable, I don't trust my camera on it at all.

I like this plan, this plan is good.......

Cheers
Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:45 pm

Deb, sounds good, I will also bring a 12-24 anyone can borrow to get the wide angle shots
Glen

Postby wile_E on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:13 pm

Sign me up for after the 20th as well.
wile_E

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:23 pm

My only concern about this is the suggestion of The rocks as a venue. Parking is always a bear in that area of town, as may be finding a restaurant (after dark) that could accommodate us.

Regarding dates, it comes to mind that the next full moon will occur within the week following the 20th. I've not yet checked calendars or anything, but might this be an interesting add-on?

Now consider the possibilities of getting the coathanger, sailboat, and a full moon all in the one image!

Gordon, are you lurking? Where would the moon be in relation to Sydney's landmarks at various times of the night?

My only caveats (at this time) are that it's Lindy's birthday on the 30th, and (again, I need to check the calendar) I have the usual SBS end of month jam session on the last Sunday of the month.

My thinking is that the full moon might be around the 25th ???
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:32 pm

Full moon sounds very interesting. Maybe up near the Lord Nelson (I think they do food) or maybe make the food a quick interlude between the two sites?
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:16 pm

Next full moon is on the Saturday 21/ 05 Saturday.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Is that too son after Onyx gets back or OK? Also means 22/5 would have a big moon if 21 is too soon.
Glen

Postby Click on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:50 pm

I love your last one Glen, it has a couple very pronounced vanishing points!
Well done!
Respect to those who click!
Click

Postby rokkstar on Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:47 pm

I love these shots Glen, they are lovely and sharp.

I would totally be up for this night out because my night shots never come out like this at all. Would be interested in technique sharing.

I fly back to the UK on the 25th for a couple of weeks, so if its before then brilliant!
rokkstar

Postby Onyx on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:09 pm

w/end of 21-22 May suits all?!
Onyx

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:31 pm

I'm inclined to go for the Sunday, rather than a Saturday night.

That gives Chi a chance to get over his jetlag, and as Glen points out, the moon will still be very large.

Do we have general agreement on this ?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:39 pm

gstark wrote:My only concern about this is the suggestion of The rocks as a venue. Parking is always a bear in that area of town, as may be finding a restaurant (after dark) that could accommodate us.

I assume that you're not including the crap that's been happening around The Rocks as of late?

If it's still occuring then... do we really want to go with our cameras?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:53 pm

You have to take into account few factors when doing shooting around the Rock on Saturday night, a group of 5-8 photogs with cameras & tripod wandering in the dark and mixed with the crowd, it shoud be fun :?:

Parking is another fun on Saturday evening around that area, after shooting, you have to pack your gears in the car and walk to the pubs :?: or find something to eat? is it safe? and the cold is now approaching very fast in the early evening.

We have done one at Blue Point and we had dinner earlier, but not many people stay back long enough, and the breeze brought the cold after dark.
Just my thought and I'm not in.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:53 pm

Gary, I think Sunday the 22nd May is a good choice, lets take a vote now from those interested to see if it suits all?

Sunday has some big advantages parking wise, so should be good. You are spot on about Saturday parking Birddy. Leigh what has been happening in the Rocks? My guess is kick off at Luna Park about 6pm (500 metres from Milsons Point train station) spend up to an hour there, probably 30-45 mins, then either eat then the Rocks or maybe 1.5 hours in the Rocks then food.

so

DOES THE 22ND MAY SUIT THOSE INTERESTED?
Glen

Next

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques