Sydney night tourist shots

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:00 pm

Glen, works for me.

Hubby has agreed to look after ALL the rugrats, but I might be pushing it by having food, I will have to get home to feed the baby (assuming I have actually had it by then :shock: ), the others can easily be catered for by my man, but he doesn't have the right equipment for the newbie.

So if you don't mind on holding off on the eating until after the pictures, I would surely appreciate it.

Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:23 pm

Deb, good news.

My take based on your criteria would be meet at Luna Park, up to an hour photographing there, quick drive across the Bridge to either Dawes Point (the spot next to the Park Hyatt which is always full of wedding photogs on a saturday) for similar large scale stuff or alternatively another spot for small scale stuff (sandstone terraces, gas lamps, etc, maybe someone has an idea- I don't).

All up photography should take 2 - 2.5 hours, then a relaxing meal with friends. The other thing is as Birddog pointed out, it is getting colder so we should be inside by 8 - 9pm.
Glen

Postby Nikkofan on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Sunday 22 May is the absolute BEST day for me - so glad you picked this one. I've been going along reading the posts, with the progressively sinking feeling that you guys were going to end up picking a time that I couldn't come - which is basically, anytime after Sunday 22 May. So thanks for picking that day - perfect as far as I'm concerned!

As far as parking in the Rocks is concerned, there are 2 or 3 parking stations in Harrington St (parallel to George St going west) which are in the Rocks, just down the road from Argyle St and which are pretty reasonably priced for quite a few hours parking. From my (dismal) memory, I don't think it was more than $16.00 for about 4 hours. IMHO, the best one to go to is the 2nd one on the left heading north towards Argyle St.

We also discovered a suberb restaurant/bar - went in there to escape the rain and found it was great shooting, which the managers had no objection to - full of candlelights, mirrors, coloured lights. Worth a visit if you're into this sort of thing.
Nikkofan

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:53 pm

Glen wrote:The other thing is as Birddog pointed out, it is getting colder so we should be inside by 8 - 9pm.

It's supposed to be Autumn and cool by now.

It isn't.

You think it'll be cool by late May? I'm not so sure...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:59 pm

Good point Leigh, but weather is one thing I would never try to predict. Unless it is raining cats and dogs we should be ok.
Glen

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:04 pm

Glen wrote:Unless it is raining cats and dogs we should be ok.

Phew... be thankful that we live in Sydney and not Melbourne. I'm always weary about needing to dodge canines and felines with our screwed up Australian weather systems...
Nnnnsic

Postby MCWB on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:51 pm

Glen wrote:22ND MAY

Should suit me just fine. My brother has a crap cheapy tripod, I'll see whether it can take the D70 + 12-24; if not I might take you up on that tripod offer, thanks mate! I'll let you know closer to the date. :)
MCWB

Postby Geoff on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:11 am

Hey this is fantastic I'm not working that Sunday so I/we should be able to come. :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby SoCal Steve on Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:17 am

Glen - I almost missed seeing these pictures. It sure would have been my loss. You do the city proud. Simply gorgeous stuff and to think you hadn't even PP'd it yet!

That opera house doesn't have a bad side, does it?! It's always impressive, but you make it stunning. Bravo. Speech! Oh, you've probably already left the building, haven't you? Glen? Glen...? Hello... (hmmm... I guess they all left.) :roll:
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
SoCal Steve

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:00 am

Nnnnsic wrote:I assume that you're not including the crap that's been happening around The Rocks as of late?

The "crap" that the media claims has bein going on in The Rocks has, not to put too fine a point on it, not been going on in The Rocks.

While it's not exactly a media beat up, how good would the headlines be were they to say "two killed in drive-by shooting in Walsh Bay" or "two killed in drive-by shooting on Hickson Rd" ?

The Rocks makes for far better headlines and, on tv, ratings.

If we were to start around Luna and then head back to Millers Point, would that work? On a Sunday evening, there would probably be adequate parking up on Fort St, or perhaps closer to sea level on Hickson Rd near Pier 1.

I'd say both of those regions are quite safe, but an alternate location could also be Mrs MacQuarie's Chair, which might afford us a different viewpoint with all three elements (Coathanger, Sailboat, and nearly full moon) from the eastern perspective.

And then retire for a meal towards Wooloomooloo.

But I'll add this to the calendar now: Sunday, May 22, City Skyline Nightshoot.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:03 am

Birddog114 wrote:Parking is another fun on Saturday evening around that area, after shooting, you have to pack your gears in the car and walk to the pubs :?: or find something to eat? is it safe? and the cold is now approaching very fast in the early evening.

Exactly my thoughts, and why I suggested the Sunday, rather than the Saturday.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby SteveGriffin on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:16 pm

Just love #1. Fantastic composition
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby Glen on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:31 pm

Gary, great suggestion about Mrs Macquarie's Chair. I think your schedule sounds good. Lets leave it to the participants to decide where in the rocks. I see three choices A) Mrs Macquarie's Chair B) Dawes Park near the Park Hyatt or C) somewhere like the Argyle Cut or Nurses Walk which is smaller scale. Maybe all can put up their preferences?

Leigh, most of the drama happens in Hicksons Rd (why I didn't recognise drama at the rocks), sort of closer to the King St wharf entertainment precinct. I don't think anyone will mistake me or your father for teenagers, my suggestion is if you own a WRX or EVO8 don't bring it, all others will probably be ok.

To all I have a few tripods, a gitzo which has arca swiss fittings if you have the same, a big heavy 10kg Manfrotto, a lightweight cheapy and a few others which will be too small for this night. A tripod is required, we will have enough, but one per person is best (it also allows everyone to get familiar with the one they are using). If someone doesn't have transport I am sure if you can get a train to Milsons Point we can ferry you around for the evening and deposit you back at a station. Ask anything I haven't covered
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:35 pm

Charter a fleet of limousine with D70User.com banner on each to ferry those "night hawks" around, included champagne onboard. :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:38 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Charter a fleet of limousine with D70User.com banner on each to ferry those "night hawks" around, included champagne onboard. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm in
Glen

Postby Justin on Sun May 01, 2005 4:42 pm

Sunday 22nd May - I'm in.
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby idioms on Sun May 01, 2005 5:31 pm

Thought i would post some old shots of same scene from the other side for comparison. Unfortunately the sharpness is terrible since these were taken before the days of my d70 and show my complete lack of scanning prowess

Opera%20House%201.jpg" alt="Image" />

idioms

Postby Frankenstein on Sun May 01, 2005 6:10 pm

Pencil me in for the 22nd - not exactly sure if I can make it yet, but will if I can - would be great to meet other members of this group.

Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby Glen on Tue May 10, 2005 3:18 am

Well the tentative group is Nikkofan, HappyFotographer, Onyx, MCWB, Sirhc55, Gstark, Rokkstar, Geoff and possibly Frankenstein for the 22nd.

Start time is 6 pm at Luna Park. Could all coming vote on their preference for the second site, either A) Mrs Macquarie Chair offering a great vantage point back towards the city and bridge B) Dawes Park near the Park Hyatt (sth eastern corner of bridge) which gives good views of the bridge, Opera House, etc or C) The Rocks proper, maybe Playfair St or similar for smaller scale stuff like terraces.

Does anyone have any suggestions for eating establishments afterwards, bearing in mind parking and affordability for all? Also can we confirm who is coming for any restuarant bookings?

Thanks

Glen
Glen

Postby Onyx on Tue May 10, 2005 4:49 am

I vote for low cost establishment. :)
And Mrs Mac's chair. Although Dawes point might be good/better too, I dunno - I'll go with the majority.
Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue May 10, 2005 8:02 am

Both get good shots, Chi :wink:
Glen

Postby gstark on Tue May 10, 2005 8:17 am

Mrs Mac's Chair, and the Wooloomooloo Hotel, opposite the Finger Wharf, for eats.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Paul on Tue May 10, 2005 8:48 am

I can make the 22nd if there's space left. :D
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby HappyFotographer on Tue May 10, 2005 8:51 am

I'm going to be really unhelpful and say I have no preference as to where the shoots take place. Just make it easy to get to, or the instructions detailed, as I am only a new driver and driving in Sydney at night by myself should be interesting to say the least :shock: (better make sure my insurance is uptodate!).

Still no sign of expected child doing the right thing and coming early or even on time, so am keeping fingers crossed that I will even be able to make the shoot.

Not expecting to be able to stay for eats at this stage.

Cheers
Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby Hlop on Tue May 10, 2005 8:51 am

Aw, I was desperately looking for a discussion of "Sydney City skyline night shoot, Starting from Luna Park" event and finally found it!

Can I get into the list of participants, please? Are familiy members welcome or it's a "single-bachelor-photographers" party?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby Glen on Tue May 10, 2005 9:10 am

Mikhail, bring all you like. Paul and sorry I missed you first time Justin, you guys are counted as well. Deb, hope timing works for you, come in any condition, we will post maps later but Luna Park is fairly easy to find :wink:

Any choices for second location from others?
Glen

Postby Glen on Tue May 10, 2005 6:32 pm

Just to throw a further option for the second location, Darling Harbour was suggested to me today as well. Any thoughts? So far two votes for Mrs Macquarie's Chair.

ps Idioms, the water has a surreal feel in your photos :wink:
Glen

Postby Paul on Tue May 10, 2005 7:24 pm

I vote for Mrs Macquarie's Chair for the 2nd location and Harry's Cafe De Wheels for a pie afterwards.. only kidding Gary mentioned the hotel which I'm fine with. :D
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Glen on Thu May 12, 2005 10:43 pm

Okay, in light of no further suggestions it looks like Mrs Macquaries Chair, which is an excellent choice as there will be no one else around so we can set up to our hearts content. Then for those who can, down to the Woolloomooloo Hotel for a bite afterwards.

What would be good to bring is a camera kit, TRIPOD and TORCH. If anyone is short for a tripod please put your hand up and I or other members will do what we can. Bring the widest angle lens you have, I can also loan mine to others on the night. The kit lens is a perfect start, 12-24 even better. I stuck this post up now so people can have time to purchase any of these items if they wish to.

We will meet outside Luna Park wharf, which is ten metres from the Luna Park Face at 6pm. Luna Park is at 1 Olympic Drive, which is at the bottom of Alfred St South. For those coming by train, get out at Milsons Point Station, walk to the bottom of the stairs, turn right (you come to a fifteen metre wide park, if you end up in a side road you have gone the wrong way), then walk down the hill to the bridge. It is about 500 metres, you cant miss it, if you do, ask someone, Luna Park and the Bridge are well known around these parts :wink: I only have a two seater, but if you come by train I am sure someone can ferry you around the stops. Estimated time is up to an hour at Luna Park (maybe a little more if people want to take park shots from the inside, maybe 1.25 hrs), another hour or maybe less at Lady Macquaries Chair, then enjoy the company of your fellow photographers company at the Wooloomooloo Hotel. If you have a partner who doesn't like getting dragged all over the countryside, they could meet you there. Nearer the time I will ask for indications of who will be there so we don't leave anyone behind.

Here is a map of Milson Point with LP marked and an X where we will meet. Any questions just ask.

Glen

Postby Frankenstein on Thu May 12, 2005 11:04 pm

blah, can't make this meet - the wife has organised visiting some friends that afternoon/evening, and as they're off OS soon I'd better make an appearance. And I was looking forward to meeting the group - maybe next time. :cry:

Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby ozimax on Fri May 13, 2005 2:57 am

Glen, no1 is an outstanding shot (as are all the others), the inward leaning aspect of the bridge pylons, shot from Luna Park, make for an amazing shot. Is the EXIF data in this post somewhere?

Max
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Glen on Fri May 13, 2005 5:44 am

Max, exif data is in the shots, haven't got it on this pc, but it is roughly f8 - f10 and 10-15 secs
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri May 13, 2005 6:52 am

With the weather like this, the photo excursion on the evening of 22/5 should be cold and freeze, hope and wish all you guys will have lot of fun!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Fri May 13, 2005 7:17 am

I should have put warm jacket next to torch, thanks Birddy :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri May 13, 2005 7:27 am

Glen,
You haven't go to bed yet :shock: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Fri May 13, 2005 7:31 am

No, started the day again. Light sleep night tonight, only a few hours. Paperwork and using the beautiful new printer late into the night :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri May 13, 2005 7:34 am

Glen wrote:No, started the day again. Light sleep night tonight, only a few hours. Paperwork and using the beautiful new printer late into the night :wink:

Any new capture of a "special moment" from the 800mm (+ TC) as suggested yesterday and print it with the new printer? :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Fri May 13, 2005 7:36 am

No special moments yet, maybe with new AFS 300?
Glen

Postby Matt. K on Fri May 13, 2005 9:03 am

Glen
Your long shot of the Opera House is one of the most spectacular shots of that icon that I have ever seen. Bloody well done....it's boooutiful!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Glen on Fri May 13, 2005 10:00 am

Thanks Matt, lets hope everyone gets one of those on the 22nd. Looks great printed out :wink:
Glen

Postby Jenno on Mon May 16, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi Glen,

Just found this thread and would luv to be involved provided you can guarantee my shots will turn out as good as yours. :lol: :lol:

Ray
Jenno

Postby jethro on Tue May 17, 2005 12:01 am

glenn one word brilliant! :D
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby Glen on Tue May 17, 2005 12:11 am

Ray, everyones will turn out like this, it's the city and its nice lights which work in this case, not the photographer. Look forward to seeing you. Thanks Jethro
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Tue May 17, 2005 12:18 am

You are such a sweet talker Glen - fess up and tell everyone that you have taken years to perfect this shot :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue May 17, 2005 12:22 am

I'm going to take two CF cards that night, Glen, just to prove you wrong.

I'm going to take some nice, spiffy shots on one to prove you right.

And then some horrible, blurry, RTFM shots to prove you wrong. :)
Nnnnsic

Postby Glen on Tue May 17, 2005 12:31 am

Leigh, I always bring my own card for the horrible blurry shots. Seems I always manage to forget a card for the good shots :wink:

Chris, notice the X on the map? Don't deviate even one metre from that spot. It is akin to Matt K's magic park bench. That is where these shots come from :wink:
Glen

Postby thaddeus on Tue May 17, 2005 8:42 am

i live a couple of hundred metres from there, so i'll drop down if i am around!

there's lots of good spots around luna park.

the obvious one is this type of shot which i did for the sculptor of the fanfare ball. the reason there are not clear flares around the lights is that i was doing it in drizzle, which worked out really good for the shots at the front, but not the shots at the back like this. (my avatar was shot in foggy drizzle)

if you walk along the boardwalk to the west, you can get this type of thing, all dark and moody!
however, they've turned the lights on now so it destroys it a bit

the interior of luna park is really interesting. again, this was to show off fanfare, but there's lots of colour, movement and people all through luna park. just make sure not to take leek or else the security guards will toss you out (it's right next to north sydney swimming pool)

jeffrey st whaf, about 100m to the east of luna park, is excellent for cliche shots of the bridge

mrs macquarie's chair is also a top spot

so if i see a gaggle of photographers milling around i'll say hi!
thaddeus

Postby Glen on Tue May 17, 2005 10:55 am

Nice shots Thaddeus, the one from Jeffrey St wharf is a real postcard. Hope we see you down there
Glen

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue May 17, 2005 10:58 am

Hmm...

I love that interior of Luna Park shot there... that evil Harbour Bridge ball looks like a weird moon or planet sitting in the background... or even an evil sun!
Nnnnsic

Postby Justin on Fri May 20, 2005 9:14 am

What time are we meeting - might be already posted but I couldn't see it in my morning blurriness...
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

PreviousNext

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques