Help on lightning shots

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Help on lightning shots

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu May 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Nasty storm approaching so I ducked outside to try and capture the action.

Can anyone give me any tips on capturing lightning. These 2 are pretty average in my opinion. I tried exposures between 3 & 15 seconds and a variety of apetures and these were the best of the bad bunch. Without the strikes the images around these in the sequence were totally black

We have had MANY strikes on the pole in the front yard so I was a bit hopeful that it might cooperate but no such luck today

Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby kipper on Thu May 19, 2005 8:06 pm

Apparently the technique is to use bulb mode, open shutter a few seconds before the strike. Close shutter after strike. Then again this might be for only night captures of lightning. Not sure what apertures the guys use, probably fairly small/narrow (eg. F14+ I'd say).
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby xerubus on Thu May 19, 2005 8:12 pm

bulb mode doesn't seem to work with the (jaycar) remote since the firmware upgrade... shall advise later on...

your shots look fine.... i use f10 and vary shutter according to the conditions. M mode with manual focus set to infinity. Than just sit and enjoy the show. will post better details later on.

for anyone on the northside i'm heading over to redcliffe now to get some shots of the lightning over the water.... feel free to join me if you want :)

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby mateo on Fri May 20, 2005 3:43 am

Steve- That last shot is quite nice, though I would have cropped the right 1/4 of the picture because the lightning is a great visual lead and that side is just left hanging there. Great shots though.

mateo
mateo

Postby SteveGriffin on Sun May 29, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I have been overseas for a few days so a bit slow responding.
I was shooting f16 (I think) for 10 seconds. Set it up in manual and triggered with the remote.

The biggest problem that I found was that the lightning always seemed to flash when the shutter was closed between shots. :cry:
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby xerubus on Sun May 29, 2005 4:37 pm

your settings are fine.... if you sit and watch what the lightning is doing, you'll actually find a bit off a pattern of when strikes are going to occur.

cheers
xerubus

Postby stormygirl on Sun May 29, 2005 4:50 pm

Hi Steve,

I think what you have captured here is wonderful, of a very tricky and unpredictable subject, one I am yet to photograph myself (no storms!).

I have found a site you may be interested in from a well known and respected stormchaser. You may be surprised to see what equipment he uses!! If it is no help technically, then I'm sure you'll find his images inspirational!

I hope this is of some help to you!

http://www.lightningphotography.com/tips.html
stormygirl

Postby Bruno on Sun May 29, 2005 4:53 pm

O.T.

xerubus wrote:bulb mode doesn't seem to work with the (jaycar) remote since the firmware upgrade... shall advise later on...

your shots look fine.... i use f10 and vary shutter according to the conditions. M mode with manual focus set to infinity. Than just sit and enjoy the show. will post better details later on.

for anyone on the northside i'm heading over to redcliffe now to get some shots of the lightning over the water.... feel free to join me if you want :)

cheers

With the latest 2.0 firmware i've been able to use bulb mode with my jaycar remote. Strange how yours doesnt seem to be able to :?

cheers
Bruno

Postby xerubus on Sun May 29, 2005 5:16 pm

Bruno wrote:O.T.

xerubus wrote:bulb mode doesn't seem to work with the (jaycar) remote since the firmware upgrade... shall advise later on...

cheers

With the latest 2.0 firmware i've been able to use bulb mode with my jaycar remote. Strange how yours doesnt seem to be able to :?

cheers

:) this was discussed in another thread... my remote was the issue.. not the firmware :)

cheers
xerubus

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques