Tortured metal

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tortured metal

Postby dhess on Sun May 29, 2005 6:46 pm

Another macro pic (sigma 150) of an interesting machined metal fence near my place.

Any comments, suggestions?

dhess

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun May 29, 2005 7:57 pm

Hi Dom
While the pic shows off the capabilities of your Sigma, I think the subject matter doesn't really have a lot of impact for the viewer.
Maybe some side-lighting would emphasise the surface irregularities.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Catcha on Sun May 29, 2005 8:00 pm

Nice close up, shouldn't of disclosed the subject title :D That would of kept me guessing what the picture was of for a while
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby dhess on Sun May 29, 2005 8:06 pm

cricketfan wrote:Hi Dom
While the pic shows off the capabilities of your Sigma, I think the subject matter doesn't really have a lot of impact for the viewer.
Maybe some side-lighting would emphasise the surface irregularities.

Thanks for the comments guys.

What exactly do you mean by side lighting? Would and SB800 in remote mode from the side work?
dhess

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun May 29, 2005 8:16 pm

dhess wrote:What exactly do you mean by side lighting? Would and SB800 in remote mode from the side work?

Yes, or using a reflector to reflect sunlight, or even waiting for the sun itself to provide the light like in your "nuts' photo.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby mudder on Sun May 29, 2005 9:31 pm

Wow, the detail in this is amazing, dunno about the subject but wow, the detail...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon May 30, 2005 12:11 am

It looks more like you're shooting for a texture map.

Aside from that, I can't see it as all that inviting for a person to look at.

I also think it could do from being a tad brighter.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby sirhc55 on Mon May 30, 2005 12:31 am

Just watching Aliens - I now know what has eaten that metal :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Hutchy on Mon May 30, 2005 2:35 am

Nice pic dhess.

I can see you're aiming for the minimalist in your macro work and you've chosen a great subject. Most macro shots are of plants, flowers and bugs etc. so it's great to see a shot that's challenging the norm while also challenging the viewer's understanding and perception.
Nikon D70, Nikon F80, Rollei 6008 Pro, Plaubel 5x4, Elinchrom 4K floorpacks and heads.
Hutchy

Postby dhess on Mon May 30, 2005 11:42 am

Thankyou for all of the comemnts.

I know its not the most interesting subject matter but like Hutchy said I am a minimaliist when it comes to macro.

I have tried making it brighter but its very easy to blow the highlights. I will try reshooting in different light if I have some time.
dhess

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques