Some of my more off beat images

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Some of my more off beat images

Postby Matt. K on Mon May 30, 2005 9:01 pm

Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby PiroStitch on Mon May 30, 2005 9:03 pm

Love the keyboard b&w image :) Looks like Thing found a friend and they're having a duet ;)
PiroStitch

Postby sheepie on Mon May 30, 2005 9:20 pm

Matt - the sign in the last one isn't straight ;)
:roll: :roll: :roll:
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Re: Some of my more off beat images

Postby wendellt on Mon May 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Hi MAtt
http://www.pbase.com/matt_k/image/44056921
This is a challenging image
the subject matter juxtaposes lots of themes here, the background is heritage sandstone architecture firmy placing the scene with a historical context juxtaposed by the modern no standing street sign, a visual cue that the scene is set today. Furhter to that the couple walking serves a subtle contrast to the sign, their age suggests a passing familiarity with the background architecture a monument to the past.
The shadows are asymetrical allowing the composition to fluctuate between architectural ridgid monoformity to something quite rhythmic and visually challenging

that's my 2 1/2 cents
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Matt. K on Mon May 30, 2005 9:30 pm

wendellt
Thanks for the thoughtful, academic deconstruction. I like the way you look at imagery. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Matt. K on Mon May 30, 2005 9:34 pm

Sheepie
It was straight in the original image. I displaced it in Photoshop to correct a visual imbalance in the overall composition. I'll make it up to you when I'm next out and about by shooting an image that confirms to your strict criteria and dedicating it to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby wendellt on Mon May 30, 2005 9:55 pm

MAtt
Leigh a.ka 4-n-sik told me your the D70 man, you know the camera intimately, now what is the best lens for ultra low light situations without the benefit of a flash. Mostly I am interested in taking pictures of interiors museums, churches doghouses etc where there is not much light and in most cases have a no camera policy, therefore I have to be discreet and fast in taking my shots.

Alot of people are stand by the 50mm 1.4 as the star lens for low light

any thoughts would be deconstructed then eaten with the greatest of appreciation

actually i am just about to buy a 50mm 1.4 should I hold off, is there something more suitable?
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Matt. K on Mon May 30, 2005 10:25 pm

wendellt
The 50mm F/1.4 is a supurb lens for poor light, but it may be a bit to long for your purposes. You would probably find a 20mm lens more useful and while it will not be F1.4 you will be able to hand hold it at a shutter speed slower than the 50mm because of its shorter focal length. If you bump up the ISO a little then it would do the job very well. Your best bet is to borrow a 50mm and give it a try.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Alex on Mon May 30, 2005 10:52 pm

Matt,

Very sharp images. I love the hands one.

Alex
Alex

Postby KerryPierce on Tue May 31, 2005 1:08 am

I agree completely with Wendell. He took the words right out of my keyboard. :shock:

But, I like the B&W hands on the keyboard shot the best. :D
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby dooda on Tue May 31, 2005 3:38 am

I like the picture of the back end of the bus. It gives the me the sense that the passenger is in control, and yet I know that she is simply riding along, so there is tension between my viewing and the photo. Further tension comes from the fact that this pic wasn't introduced in the thread.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby stubbsy on Tue May 31, 2005 11:24 am

Matt
The keyboard is extremely well done. Was the person wearing black, or did you cut off their hands :shock:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Tue May 31, 2005 11:53 am

Hi Matt,

The keyboard is also my favourite.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Matt. K on Tue May 31, 2005 6:55 pm

Peter
There was no one there...just the hands playing the piano. :lol: :lol: Seriously though, the pianist was wearing black which is why the image cried out to be B&W. Kinda gives you an idea for a whole range of creative musi pics, doesn't it? But still no damn decisive moment. I'm getting worried here.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:13 am

Matt. K wrote:Peter
There was no one there...just the hands playing the piano. :lol: :lol: Seriously though, the pianist was wearing black which is why the image cried out to be B&W. Kinda gives you an idea for a whole range of creative musi pics, doesn't it? But still no damn decisive moment. I'm getting worried here.

Yeah I haven't had a decisive moment yet either. Maybe I could take a pic in the mirror at 1 second to midnight before subs close :)
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques