Wedding pics

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Wedding pics

Postby stubbsy on Tue May 31, 2005 7:24 pm

A week or so back I took a few shots at my next door neighbour's wedding. Hopefully they'll like them since I'm giving them an album of the best as a wedding gift. Here are a few I liked. More are here. To see a large version of an image click it. The last shot is a test. It was shot with the 50/1.4 using only the light from the darkened room and the candles in the pic.

Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 31, 2005 7:51 pm

Peter,
They're very nice pics and the couple will be more than happy to have you album as a wedding gift from you.
Great works and thoughts.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MCWB on Tue May 31, 2005 7:55 pm

Great stuff Peter, you've activated lens lust again for me! :x First one is beautiful! Number 2 could do with some improvement though, both of them (and particularly the bride) look way too washed out! A bit too cliched too for mine, my attention is drawn to the coloured flower rather than to the bride and groom (where it should be IMO). 3rd and 4th are lovely. :)
MCWB

Postby MHD on Tue May 31, 2005 7:57 pm

Some great Pics!!!
That one with the righs really catches my eye!!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby kipper on Tue May 31, 2005 8:00 pm

I agree with MCWB here.

#1 I like
#2 Flower is drawing my attention (as already pointed out)
#3 Rings and the certificate are suppose to be the subject, however I keep looking at flower and the ring.
#4 I like
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby sheepie on Tue May 31, 2005 8:50 pm

I think you're understating your ability here Peter - these are as good as I've seen from plenty of fulltime wedding photogs. Perhaps a career change is coming up!

You have captured the moment nicely, and as always, the PP work adds to the emotion.

Not so keen on the flower shot, but the ring shot has worked well IMHO. This would benefit from a nice frame me thinks :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby johndec on Tue May 31, 2005 8:56 pm

I'd love to see #1 with just a tad more saturation as it a fantastic shot :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Geoff on Tue May 31, 2005 8:59 pm

Pete - some fantastic shots there and I had a look at them all at smugmug..you should be proud of your efforts! The 2nd one in this collection however I think really does draw too much attention to the flower, but out of all the great photos you took, this is nothing! :). Well done.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby PiroStitch on Tue May 31, 2005 9:48 pm

Great wedding photos! I'm sure they'll absolutely love the album as a gift.
PiroStitch

Postby stubbsy on Tue May 31, 2005 11:26 pm

OK Here's the colour version of #2 - is this better?

Peter
stubbsy

Postby mic on Tue May 31, 2005 11:36 pm

Stubbsy, the 1st is a beaut, I love the blown highlights in the background :D

Well done.

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby MCWB on Tue May 31, 2005 11:38 pm

Indeed. Clone out the highlight on her forhead and you have a winner. :)
MCWB

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:03 am

MCWB wrote:Indeed. Clone out the highlight on her forhead and you have a winner. :)

Done (replaced pic above) - and I have to say I do prefer the colour version.

Mic - I really like the first one too - I think the blown highlights really make the shot, especially with the vignetting I added in the edges.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:10 am

Peter - #1 is great. #2 looks to posed for my liking and the louvre door does not help. The rings shot work for me. #4 is too cluttered but has nice colouring.

Had a thought on #2 - if they had been looking at each other instead of the flower I believe it would have had more impact. :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:21 am

sirhc55 wrote:Peter - #1 is great. #2 looks to posed for my liking and the louvre door does not help. The rings shot work for me. #4 is too cluttered but has nice colouring.

Had a thought on #2 - if they had been looking at each other instead of the flower I believe it would have had more impact. :D

Chris

Thanks for the comments. I think you're suggesting for posing #2 would be interesting. Do you think I can get them to re-enact it :lol:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby shutterbug on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:21 am

Great images Peter :lol: The couple will love them. My fav is No. 1 and the ring one.
shutterbug

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:37 am

stubbsy wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:Peter - #1 is great. #2 looks to posed for my liking and the louvre door does not help. The rings shot work for me. #4 is too cluttered but has nice colouring.

Chris

Thanks for the comments. I think you're suggesting for posing #2 would be interesting. Do you think I can get them to re-enact it :lol:

What would be great Peter is the before and after shot - offer to take pics of the divorce :shock: :D :shock: :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Catcha on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:57 am

Nice picture, 1 is my favourite out of them , sure they will be estatic about your gift
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques