Black Shouldered Kite (Werribee Treatment Plant)

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby kipper on Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:55 pm

Well just got back from WTP with Nicole and Tai (spelling?). We had a pretty good day for spotting birds, but an attrocious day for lighting. Weather forecast was for a fine day with a top of 16. I think it reached this temperature but there was a lot of cloud cover that made for really high key backgrounds when shooting into birds perching on trees or midflight. I think we lost count of the number of raptors we spotted during the day. I think another outing to WTP is in order when the sun is out.

Anyway here is the first of my shots, a Black Shouldered Kite.
Will post more later as I'm about to go out for dinner and a movie.

Nikon D70
Nikkor 70-200VR with TC1.7
Focal Length 340MM
ISO 400
Exp Mode Manual
Shutter Speed 1/500th
Aperture F/9
Flash: SB800
Flash: i-TTL
Flash Comp: -2 & 2/3 (probably not right)

Last edited by kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby leek on Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:04 pm

Cripes... that is a nice photo Darryl... I love the translucency of the tail feathers...

When I saw the title of your post, I wasn't expecting photos of birds...

I'm interested to see that you used flash for that shot... How close was the kite???
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby kipper on Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:25 pm

It was pretty full frame so fairly close. There were two of them and they were fairly friendly, not as jumpy as some of the others we saw later that day. They put on a great aerial display.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby pippin88 on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:30 pm

Great shot.

Is there any particular reason you shoot fully manual? I know it's the way it was done in the past, but I can't see much of an advantage?
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby Frankenstein on Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:22 pm

That is one fantastic shot. The wings, tail and eyes are all spot on - it's almost too perfect! Well done.

Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby big pix on Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:46 pm

What can one say about this bird pix.......... except just fantastic.......

looking foward to seeing more

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby BBJ on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:03 pm

Great shot Darryl, Yes sky was much the same here today in parts. But yeh i like this birdy shot.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby stubbsy on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:12 pm

Darryl

Awsome shot. And this was on a BAD day :shock:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Alex on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:31 pm

Darryl,

What a great shot, and nicely filled frame. Did you do much cropping in post processing? I presume external flash?

Alex
Alex

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:21 am

Kipper - great shot, so enjoy your dinner and movie :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:22 am

Tah tah and tah.

Pippin, recently I have been using a mixture of aperture and manual priority for bird shots. There isn't much different between aperture and manual, the only thing is I do a lot of shooting with flash and that limits the shutter speed to 500. So if I'm shooting aperture which is practically fully auto except keyed in aperture I tend to look at the subject, wait for the beep and fire. So I tend to ignore the camera saying HI at me because it can't automatically select a shutter speed high enough to get the right exposure. However if I'm in manual mode I tend to check the metering bars while I'm shooting. I will get around to using aperture all the time, I think I was in aperture for about 80% of the day. The problem is that I should of really taped off the back two contacts so I could of used a higher shutter speed.

Alex, cropped image was about 2600x1740. So not much cropped off the shot.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:25 am

Darryl
This is an image I just love to keep looking at. It's beautiful! I guess this is why we take photographs. Outstanding bird image.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:39 am

Tah, Matt.

Does anybody know how one can specify image sizes for Smugmug for each of the sizes it creates?

I'd love to have specific sizes it uses from the Original Photo.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:15 am

Hmm, todays outing photo count (more like shutter, 2/3 are tripe) around 1000+ shots. I think I got a bit trigger happy. Plus the light was so bad I was hoping to try to shoot as many shots and hope for the best. This shot here thought was about shot #20 and taken right at the start of the day. Like 5min into the area.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby fozzie on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:36 am

kipper/Darryl,

Great shot. BTW: what movie did you go and see :?:

I have just read Nicole's report from yesterday. Then I came across your shot. Look forward to sighting more, and also Nicole's.

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:26 am

Another shot of the Black Shouldered Kite that I liked. The edge of the top wing was cropped off a bit, and the bottom tip was just obstruct by a branch. When I was out in the field I zoomed in and liked a crop like this. Almost could of done with the D2X crop feature :0

Last edited by kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby KerryPierce on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:29 am

Both are very good shots, Darryl, but that first one is my fav. I really like the way the feathers appear on that shot. Well done. :D
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby Nicole on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:38 pm

The first one is my favourite too. I swear you were luring them with mice. It's a great shot though.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby nito on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:17 pm

*collapses* WOW! :shock:
nito

HI

Postby yeocsa on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:54 am

Hi Kipper,

Nice capture there. I like the first pic. Very well composed and exposed. Only it is little noisy.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques