A few shots from Melbourne (5 pics)

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A few shots from Melbourne (5 pics)

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:34 pm

Decided to get out with the D70 and take some photos this morning, drove into the Melbourne CBD.

Here are a few shots I've PP'd thus far:

Comments/critiques (both good & bad) appreciated... :-)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:40 pm

All excellent. I reckon you have captured the essence of Autumn in Melbourne with those shots.

The perspective on the music bowl is really good and eye catching.

The inclusion of the two people and the dog on the second one really adds depth and makes it a complete picture.

Nice photos, great colours.

Well done.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby MHD on Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:44 pm

Indeed! That one of the music bowl is a classic example of what I like... very strong and dramatic lines

Excellent work...

ahhh geez... one day I will get POTW but not for a while looking at the quality of pics being posted lately!!!!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby BBJ on Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:45 pm

Dave, I agree with Killa, these are all great pics and yes thats Melbourne. Place i dont like much but yeh well i think you have captured this very well and done well. Keep it up Dave
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:57 pm

The Sidney Myer Music Bowl image takes the cake for me! Great perspective and strong composition! :)
PiroStitch

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:20 pm

thanks everyone.
I really like the Music Bowl one myself, even though I botched up the PP a little. This shot was taken using Bracketing (3 img) then I layer masked in PSCS and merged the foreground with the sky.

If you look closely on the very right hand side of the horizon (and a couple of other places), the masking was hard to do, around the trees and buildings, so it is a little evident where it has missed.

The colours of all the leaves at the moment are wonderful. Such earthy tones. I had an absolute ball walking around taking photos. I urge everyone to get out there to your local park and snap away.....

I took a few other bracketed shots, which I will try to post in the coming days.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement :-)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:27 pm

A very nice collection of a wonderful time of year. The Music Bowl shot is awesome.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:41 pm

Dave

Maybe I'm getting crothety in my old age, but the third one just doesn't do it for me, sorry. :cry: It hink it's a little too untidy somehow. While I understand your intent with the shot and am normally a sucker for good clean leading lines - I have this compulsion to brush off the dust & other debris (but I'd leave the two leaves). Maybe I need to take some of Mic's pills. :wink:

The others are a different story. I' m not sure which I like best, toss up between 1 & 2, but in the first image I keep looking at the blurry clouds in the corners which distracts me from what is an otherwise brilliant image, so I'd give it to #2 by a nose (or should I say leaf :lol: ). As killa says, the people in this make the shot.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:05 pm

You've got a good sense of composition and it shows with these shots. Thanks for posting.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby redline on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:40 pm

i think there some great photo but the first one the building look a bit posterized you might wanna fix that
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:49 pm

thanks for your honesty Stubbsy. You like what you like, there's nothing wrong with that. At the time I didn't want to jump into the bushes to remove all the debris, so I thought I'd shoot it how it was. I admit it does make it look a little untidy, but I still like it.

I might have another go at redoing the Music Bowl again and merging the 2 bracketed exposures together. After looking at it, I don't think the PP I did gives the shot justice.

Does anyone know of an easy way to select large patches of sky ?? My first attempt kept me busy for about 20 minutes just masking around the skyline to remove the over-exposed sky from the 1st exposure. If anyone knows an easier way, I'd love to hear it....
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:59 pm

Here's a Pano I took from Birrarung Marr, looking towards the city (5 photos stitched into 1):

It was a bit of fun to try and expose for all 5 shots, but in the end I locked EV in where I thought the middle of all exposures were and hoped for the best.....didn't turn out too bad (I think)...
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Nicole on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:08 pm

Great pics Dave. You're right...we should get out to the local parks more often and take advantage of these colours. Nice pano too. :)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby embi on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:31 pm

I like these pics. I think its time a Melbourne meet was organised so we can take advantage of the colours at the moment.

Your pano is awesome. I wish I knew how to do it
Last edited by embi on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
embi

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:32 pm

Dave love the last shot. The only thing is if you could give the clouds a little more punch by trying to increase the contrast? to get more of a gradient range from light to dark.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby johndec on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:51 pm

Dave I really like them all, but what I also like is your framing with very professional copyrite and text. Is it a PS action that you got from somewhere?
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:10 pm

johndec wrote:Dave I really like them all, but what I also like is your framing with very professional copyrite and text. Is it a PS action that you got from somewhere?

Thanks Johndec.
The frame is a PS action, which I adapted from a Fred Miranda Frame Action.
The signature I have made into a PS brush...I have several different versions and the EXIF data is just the type-tool (added manually) on a seperate layer (using 35% opacity).

I used to have an action that automatically added these but I lost it and I've been too lazy to recreate it.
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Alex on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:29 pm

Dave,
All great shots. I ike Nos. 1 and 2 especially. Did you do much PPing on the 2nd?

Thank you
Alex
Alex

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:42 pm

Alex wrote:Dave,
All great shots. I ike Nos. 1 and 2 especially. Did you do much PPing on the 2nd?

Thank you
Alex

thanks Alex. Just some Levels, Shadow/highlights, a touch of curves and some USM.
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Greg B on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:11 pm

Great work Dave. I have been meaning to get into the CBD and surrounds for a few weeks on a sunday morning, but just haven't done it yet. Your shots haveinspired me to get it happening nest weekend.

The bowl is a great shot, bit I like them all, beautiful autumn leaves and so on. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby KerryPierce on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:11 am

The shot of the music bowl is great, Dave. :D
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby tcsphoto on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:04 am

Really like the Music bowl photo. Great perpective with the cables drawing your eyes to the building.
tcsphoto

Postby joolz on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:07 am

Good shots Dave,
I think I took an almost exact same image as that second image in the Fitzroy gardens about 24 hours before you did. Genji and I went for a short shooting trip out there Saturday morning. I'd post some images but, I'm in Tassie for work for 2 weeks and don't have access to my computer. I agree about the amazing colours of autumn. It was fantastic when the wind blew a swirl of leaves down.
Julian
joolz

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques