Few more shots of Birds from WTP

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Few more shots of Birds from WTP

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:19 pm

Here's a few more raptor shots.

Black Shouldered Kite

Whistling Kite (not 100% sure on ID)

Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby kipper on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:12 am

Think this is the Swamp Harrier that Nicole has a photo of.
Pretty sure this guy had to get clearance from Avalon to land :)
Although from my shot I don't think it is a Swamp Harrier given the shape of the tail.

Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby robw25 on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:18 am

wow ..... I LIKE EM !!!

cheers rob
robw25

Postby dhess on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:35 am

Wow! beautiful.

Especially like #2. I like the way you have filled the frame with the perch.
dhess

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:38 am

Hi Kipper,

wow, must be very exciting to capture such exotic birds. Were too excitied that you just keep pressing the shutter button and forgeting to use a faster shutter speed?

I hope to be able to make it for the next trip.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby kipper on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:45 am

Thanks Rob and Dhess.

Arthur, not sure about what you mean about forgetting to use a faster shutter speed. They're all taken in aperture priority at F/5.6.

First and second shot 1/500th, last shot 1/1000th. All adequate shutter speeds. Yes they're not the most crispest of shots but then again they're a very large crop of the original image. 500mm and 600mm lenses are really required for this type of photography.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby KerryPierce on Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:51 am

kipper wrote:First and second shot 1/500th, last shot 1/1000th. All adequate shutter speeds. Yes they're not the most crispest of shots but then again they're a very large crop of the original image. 500mm and 600mm lenses are really required for this type of photography.

Very nice shots! :D For the prices of the 500 to 600mm lenses, you'd be far ahead of the game buying the d2x and still cropping.... :shock: 8)
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby kipper on Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:45 am

Kerry, that is true if I bought a Nikkor brandnew. I have considered the D2X option. Secondhand lenses are what I'm looking at now. I've seen a secondhand Nikkor 500MM F/4 AF-S (not sure exactly what model) for $4.5k. I'll also be looking at Sigmas when I've actually got around $5k.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Nikon boy on Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:49 am

Kipper, great shots mate, very inspirational, hey i played with the 500mm
afs at c.e. !!! we need to win lotto,
Nikon boy Norman
Nikon boy

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:55 am

Excellent shots kipper - especially #1. :D
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

HI

Postby yeocsa on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:17 am

kipper wrote:Thanks Rob and Dhess.

Arthur, not sure about what you mean about forgetting to use a faster shutter speed. They're all taken in aperture priority at F/5.6.

First and second shot 1/500th, last shot 1/1000th. All adequate shutter speeds. Yes they're not the most crispest of shots but then again they're a very large crop of the original image. 500mm and 600mm lenses are really required for this type of photography.

Hi Kipper,

Sorry. I wasn't clear. What I meant was that if you were nervous and excited at the same time as you capture these wonderful pics. I remember I was even with magpie! My excitement had on several occassion cause camera shake.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Glen on Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:36 am

Kipper, grear shots. Your bird photography is really something
Glen

Postby Catcha on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:10 pm

Very nice shots..... :D
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby redline on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:13 pm

Some great captures Kipper!
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby SteveGriffin on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:48 pm

Especially like #1 & #2.

What lens were you using for these???
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby kipper on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:45 pm

70-200VR with 1.7TC

Would be really nice to have a 200-400VR with 1.4TC or a 500MM F/4 with 1.4TC. Combined with a D2X, as you really need decent AF at times to capture moving objects. Sometimes even stationery ones :)

Arthur I think lighting also didn't help with the image clarity. Plus the size of the subjects in the viewfinder. At times I had high shutter speed, was on stable ground, panned and ended up with slightly soft images. I think next time I'm going to try using my tripod more. Or even have a monopod for the event. I might also try to borrow a 300 F/2.8 AF-I + TC2.0
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

HI

Postby yeocsa on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:59 pm

Hi Kipper,

For flight shots, 300mm to 400mm is enough. Plus the lens cannot be too heavy or too light. If it is too heavy, your arms will tire easily and becomes shaky. Too light, you can easily move the camera when pressing shutter button.

For stationary stots, the longer the better on strong solid tripod.

Lighting is very important. Poor light = Poor image being recorded on the sensor. But of course, lighting is of no use if we can get close to the bird enough. They simply fly off and we are back to square one. If we can't get close enough, the subject recorded are like specks of pixels that are not at all useful.

Bird photography is not for the faint hearted.

regards,

Arthur :wink:
yeocsa

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques